Windows 10: Lockscreen /Startup problems

Discus and support Lockscreen /Startup problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I've had this win 10 laptop for about 1 year. For the last 2 weeks it had occasional problems presenting a login screen after wake up. A couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gallicbear, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Lockscreen /Startup problems

Hi. I've had this win 10 laptop for about 1 year. For the last 2 weeks it had occasional problems presenting a login screen after wake up. A couple of days ago, it just would no longer get from the lock screen to the login prompt. When I rebooted it, it never got to the login prompt; it just showed the HP logo, and was just spinning and spinning. I reset it. By the time I had reinstalled the last program, I was back to the problem. Can't get from the lockscreen to the login prompt. When I reboot, it can't get to the login. I don't want to go through the inconvenience of resetting. I would appreciate any tip. Maybe I should give up and save the data that is in windows.old. Thanks for your help.

:)

gallicbear, Mar 5, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Why force a lock screen on a desktop PC?

You're right - there's no reason for a desktop to have a lockscreen. Nevertheless, Microsoft removed the ability to bypass the lockscreen at Windows startup. (For now you can still bypass the lockscreen when switching users.)

Why Microsoft did this is anyone's guess. For decades Microsoft has tried to force its will on users but there's always been a discernible motive. That's why I think Microsoft has some future plan for the lockscreen that we'll eventually discover.

BulldogXX, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Is it possible to bypass lockscreen on Windows 10?

Original Title: Startup

Would anyone know if it's possible bypass lockscreen on Windows 10?

SusanPapineau, Mar 5, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

Lockscreen /Startup problems

"showed the HP logo, and was just spinning and spinning. I reset it. By the time I had reinstalled the last program, I was back to the problem. Can't get from the lockscreen to the login prompt. When I reboot, it can't get to the login."

Can you log in, at all, now ? How did you reset, if you couldn't get to login, thru the blue Troubleshoot screen ? If you can get to that and/or safe mode, try Option 2 (dl reg file) in this tutorial to bypass the Lock screen and hopefully go direct from startup to log in- Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

mrgeek, Mar 6, 2018
  5. Thanks, mrgeek. No, I can't login at all. The way I reset it, was with the install media. That gave me the blue troubleshoot screen that you are talking about. As said, it will not start up at all once again.

gallicbear, Mar 6, 2018
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "That gave me the blue troubleshoot screen that you are talking about."

If you can get there, Troubleshoot or Startup settings/Advanced options will get you to safe mode with networking where you can sign in, download the regedit in the tute, edit registry and restart to if the Lock screen bypass works.

mrgeek, Mar 6, 2018
  7. Thanks again. For now I clicked on startup repair. It said it was repairing disk errors, and it might take over an hour.
    I'll report back.

gallicbear, Mar 6, 2018
  8. Lockscreen /Startup problems

Well, in the end, I am having to reinstall my system from the recovery drive. This is in progress right now. No amount of repair worked, it kept having to do it every time I rebooted. I was able to retrieve some important files by using xcopy with the E switch and putting them onto another usb drive. One thing I found out was that both the program files and the program files (x86) couldn't be accessed; they were corrupt. What's interesting, too, is that the system couldn't do a 'reset'. It just said, it ran into an error.

gallicbear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Lockscreen /Startup problems

1. Lockscreen /Startup problems - Similar Threads - Lockscreen Startup problems

2. Lockscreen problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lockscreen problem: Hitting WIN+L shows my login screen instead of my lock screen lock screen wallpaper how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lockscreen-problem/9631cc74-61cc-4311-9614-afc63c90621f
  3. Lockscreen problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lockscreen problem: Hitting WIN+L shows my login screen instead of my lock screen lock screen wallpaper how do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lockscreen-problem/9631cc74-61cc-4311-9614-afc63c90621f
  4. Lockscreen problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lockscreen problem: My lockscreen has an email address that Win/MS doesn't recognize. I logged into my Windows account on another laptop and changed the password, but it doesn't work for the unrecognized email/username that defaults when I boot up the old laptop. The "forgot password?" routine...
  5. windows 10 lockscreen problem

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows 10 lockscreen problem: hello, I recently purchased a lenovo laptop with genuine and activated windows 10 home single language pre installed . Everything was running fine but after around 1 month suddenly my lockscreen keeps popping randomly. it doesnt have any pattern and it is random , sometimes...
  6. lockscreen timeout problem.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    lockscreen timeout problem.: So the problem started when I wanted to change lockscreen from windows spotlight to pictures. I accidentally enabled lock the screen. So now windows locks after around 30 seconds and goes to screen saver. I changed console lock display off timeout to 10 minutes but It still...
  7. Windows 10 Lockscreen causing problems

Windows 10 Lockscreen causing problems: So I booted up my laptop today which is on Windows 10 1909 OS build 18363.959. On reaching the lockscreen I saw I didn't have a wallpaper but a blackscreen with clock and then I pressed spacebar so that I could open the password entering field. As soon as I pressed it the...
  8. Laptop Lockscreen Sign-In Problem

Laptop Lockscreen Sign-In Problem: Hi there I normally sign into my HP notebook using the image/picture option. Today I left the laptop idle for a while and as expected, it went into sleep mode. When I wanted to sign in again from the lockscreen, my image combination was not accepted and the lockscreen...
  9. Windows 10 Lockscreen Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Lockscreen Problem: Slideshow by selecting folders is also not working and there is No Time and Date visible in the Lockscreen. Lockscreen Problem Tried playing with the multiple settings in Personalization> Lockscreen Nothing worked. submitted by /u/thedesimonk [link] [comments]...
  10. Startup problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Startup problem: When i press power on the cpu fan and power led only work. No hdd led, no beep and no monitor display. Please help me, my work is pending. Pc specs... Asus p8h61m le 4gb ram 1tb hdd I5 cpu 51142