Windows 10: Logging in to your account after sleep

Discus and support Logging in to your account after sleep in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've tried searching the forums for this, but nobody seems to have had this same problem. I have a refurbished Dell laptop with an installation of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jmatakenfab, May 24, 2017.

1. Logging in to your account after sleep

I've tried searching the forums for this, but nobody seems to have had this same problem.

I have a refurbished Dell laptop with an installation of Windows 10. When I boot the computer for first use, it works like normal; it takes you to the log in screen, lets you sign in and you can use the OS normally.

But if I let the computer sleep or close the lid, that's where the issue starts. As soon as I get the computer open or try to wake it, I get the splash screen. No issue yet. But, as soon as I click anywhere on the screen, I'm met with a blank screen. I can see the mouse and I can move it around on the screen, but nothing pops up. It's just a blank screen that looks like it's transitioning to the log in page, but it never shows up.

If I leave this alone long enough, it goes back to the splash screen. I can move the mouse around and see the cursor on the screen. I can change what wireless network I'm on. I can hit accessibility options and use the various options. I can hit the power button and restart or shut down the machine. But no matter what I use on the keyboard or the mouse, I can not get the login screen to pop up.

The only way that I've been able to do so lately has been by completely shutting down the computer and restarting. Once I do that, I can log in normal and get it working.

The main issue that we are facing here is that once the computer initializes, it's good. But if I let it sleep, I can no longer log in?

Has anybody else had issues with this?

I have already tried ctrl+alt+del, shift+ctrl+esc, re-installing the OS, adding users and deleting users, installing and uninstalling programs, booting in with safe mode. Nothing seems to get the sleep undone and let me log in.

Help!

:)

jmatakenfab, May 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 won't go to sleep automatically

I have the same issue. I run my account with Standard user privileges. My power settings are set to Balanced and it used to work perfectly in Windows 8.1. After I upgraded to Windows 10 the monitor doesn't turn off and the computer won't sleep. Today I finally
    had time to investigate: I logged on using my account that has Administrator privileges and set the monitor to turn off after 1 min and sleep after 2 min. The monitor shut off and pc went to sleep at the set times! Then I logged back on to my account and it
    didn't shut off the screen or sleep. Then I tested it on another user account with Standard user privileges and the monitor didn't shut off nor did the pc sleep. Then I logged on my account with Administator privileges and gave my user account Administator
    privileges. I logged on to my user account that now has admin rights but screen still won't turn off nor does the pc sleep. It could be profile related. I need to test creating a new Standard user account and will report back here with results.

AaronWolff, May 24, 2017
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    How can I set a weak password to resume after sleep?

I'm using a local account myself so I just tried logging in to Windows Feedback. Nothing special happening there. I have an existing MS account that was recognised by the Feedback app so I just clicked that on the Feedback login page and was logged in automatically---
    probably because I was already signed in here in the forums.

I enabled password on wake from sleep and went through the sleep-wake routine and all it asked for was my normal local logon password. Feedback (and forums) remained logged in after waking from sleep and even stayed logged in after I closed it and opened
    it again.

Ralf_G, May 24, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

Logging in to your account after sleep

Maybe you should consider disabling your lock screen if not needed.

I have mine disabled and when I wake from sleep, I go directly to my sign in screen:
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

Hope this works for your purposes.

regards,

Thema:

Logging in to your account after sleep

1. Logging in to your account after sleep - Similar Threads - Logging account sleep

2. Error 'Something Went Wrong With Your PIN' when trying to log in after sleeping PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 'Something Went Wrong With Your PIN' when trying to log in after sleeping PC.: When I turn my PC on from being fully shut down, it takes me to the lock screen as normal and I am able to enter my PIN and login normally.However, if I set my PC to go into sleep mode, upon waking it I can no longer use my PIN to unlock my PC and it tells me that something...
  3. Error 'Something Went Wrong With Your PIN' when trying to log in after sleeping PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 'Something Went Wrong With Your PIN' when trying to log in after sleeping PC.: When I turn my PC on from being fully shut down, it takes me to the lock screen as normal and I am able to enter my PIN and login normally.However, if I set my PC to go into sleep mode, upon waking it I can no longer use my PIN to unlock my PC and it tells me that something...
  4. Sign in to your minecraft account panel freezes after logging in

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sign in to your minecraft account panel freezes after logging in: Hello Microsoft.I recently tried to sign in Minecraft: Java Edition, I have gone through email and password. I use microsoft account to sign in my minecraft.And after signing in, as usual, I waited for the "Welcome back [User]!" panel with the "Let's go!" button to appear on...
  5. Cannot Sign In To Your Account - Log On With A Temporary Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Sign In To Your Account - Log On With A Temporary Profile: Hi, I started using Windows 10 around MAY2020. There are constantly updates. Until recently, probably SEP or OCT2020, after some updates, there is this "temporary profile" issue causing me not being able to bookmark website and change display settings. First, I used my...
  6. Windows cannot log you into your account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot log you into your account: Hi All, Has anyone discovered the definitive reason Windows cannot log you into your account following the automatic / manual installation of updates which ultimately results in having to uninstall the updates and suffer any damage they leave in their wake. I am not seeking...
  7. Log in to your work or school account. Created by your IT department???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Log in to your work or school account. Created by your IT department???: When I try to sign in to my Microsoft account, I get to choose from two options. 1. Log in to a work or school account Created by your IT department. 2 Log in with a personal account. My question is what does "Work or School Account Created by Your IT Department" mean? I...
  8. After "Sleep" fails to log in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After "Sleep" fails to log in: Have set my Win 10 system to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity. But on occasions after this time I am not able to log back in. Have to turn off machine 7 start again. is this a known problem? How can I cure it?...
  9. Windowsill could not log into your account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windowsill could not log into your account: I have tried every solution windows gives and watched multiple youtube videos to try and solve this. I am a masters student who needs to submit a thesis and this keeps happening. It all started after the latest updates. I really hate windows atm as I’m losing hours of work to...
  10. Logging in with your microsoft account on work PC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Logging in with your microsoft account on work PC: Hello ! I recently got my first job (as a programmer), and the PC I got was using Windows 8. Now I finally got the 'go' to upgrade my PC to Windows 10, but the thing is that no-one will do it for me. I need to do it on my own. Now that's not a problem, because I...