Windows 10: Lost account info in Microsoft Store

Discus and support Lost account info in Microsoft Store in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am setting up my first Windows 10 computer, having been on Windows 7 for a number of years, and I have run into a problem with the Microsoft Store. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BruceBon, Dec 23, 2015.

1. BruceBon Win User

Lost account info in Microsoft Store

I am setting up my first Windows 10 computer, having been on Windows 7 for a number of years, and I have run into a problem with the Microsoft Store. I have never had a Microsoft account before but I decided to go with the flow and allow my user accounts to be Microsoft accounts rather than local accounts. But my admin account is strictly a local account.

I am setting up a new computer, so naturally I plan to install software from the admin account and then set user accounts to be able to use it. The Microsoft Store doesn't ask for an account until you select something to buy or download. So I selected a free app to download (Audiobooks from Audible, I think it was), and responded to the Choose an account prompt, while logged into my admin account, but I responded with my personal Microsoft account information. Seems to me that it asked me for account information twice, but I'm not positive. Anyway, the Store now seems to be somehow linked with my admin account and unavailable from my user account.

When I now bring up the Store from my admin account and select something to download, the "Choose an account" pop-up displays my Email address, which is the login for my Microsoft account, as used for my user account on this computer, PLUS an entry entitled "Microsoft account Outlook.com, hotmail, Live.com, MSN". Selecting the second choice asks me to enter the login info for a different Microsoft account, or to create a new account. OK, this makes sense.

But now, when I go to the Store from my personal user account and select something to download, the “Choose an account” popup is literally blank – nothing in it except “Choose an account” and the Close button, which obviously does nothing useful since I couldn't choose an account! I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem. I also noticed that the little person icon just to the left of the Search box now has a plus sign (+) at the lower right corner.

I tried re-registering the Store, as suggested at Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums, but it didn't correct the user account problem.

QUESTIONS: How do I manage the account(s) that the Microsoft Store uses? To be more specific, how can I remove my Microsoft account from the admin's Store and add it to my user account's Store? Shouldn't I be able to use the same Microsoft account to download to multiple users? How? What does the plus sign mean? Is there a manual somewhere that would have these answers??

Thanks.

:)

BruceBon, Dec 23, 2015

2. Lost account info in Microsoft Store

Hi BruceBon,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description it seems that you are having lots of questions related to Windows Store. How and which accounts work on Windows store. So, here are some articles which might answer all of your queries.

Frequently asked questions

Microsoft Store Frequently asked questions

Apps & Windows Store

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any more concern related to Windows. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Dec 23, 2015
  3. BruceBon Win User

I am setting up my first Windows 10 computer, having been on Windows 7 for a number of years, and I have run into a problem with the Microsoft Store. I have never had a Microsoft account before but I decided to go with the flow and allow my user accounts
    to be Microsoft accounts rather than local accounts. But my admin account is strictly a local account.

I am setting up a new computer, so naturally I plan to install software from the admin account and then set user accounts to be able to use it. The Microsoft Store doesn't ask for an account until you select something to buy or download. So I selected a free
    app to download (Audiobooks from Audible, I think it was), and responded to the Choose an account prompt, while logged into my admin account, but I responded with my personal Microsoft account information. Seems to me that it asked me for account information
    twice, but I'm not positive. Anyway, the Store now seems to be somehow linked with my admin account and unavailable from my user account.

When I now bring up the Store from my admin account and select something to download, the "Choose an account" pop-up displays my Email address, which is the login for my Microsoft account, as used for my user account on this computer, PLUS an entry entitled
    "Microsoft account Outlook.com, hotmail, Live.com, MSN". Selecting the second choice asks me to enter the login info for a different Microsoft account, or to create a new account. OK, this makes sense.

But now, when I go to the Store from my personal user account and select something to download, the “Choose an account” popup is literally blank – nothing in it except “Choose an account” and the Close button, which obviously does nothing useful since I couldn't
    choose an account! I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem. I also noticed that the little person icon just to the left of the Search box now has a plus sign (+) at the lower right corner.

I tried re-registering the Store, as suggested at Re-register Store app in Windows 10, but it didn't correct the user account problem.

QUESTIONS: How do I manage the account(s) that the Microsoft Store uses? To be more specific, how can I remove my Microsoft account from the admin's Store and add it to my user account's Store? Shouldn't I be able to use the same Microsoft account to download
    to multiple users? How? What does the plus sign mean? Is there a manual somewhere that would have these answers??

Thanks.

BruceBon, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Lost account info in Microsoft Store - Similar Threads - Lost account info

2. Lost Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Microsoft Store: Hi : I've just discovered that I no longer have MS Store on my 64bit HP laptop running Windows version: 22H2 Os Build 22621.1485. I learned about this when trying to get the snipping tool. I tried a number of suggestions I found to no avail. I even used this command :...
  3. Lost Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost Microsoft Store: Hi : I've just discovered that I no longer have MS Store on my 64bit HP laptop running Windows version: 22H2 Os Build 22621.1485. I learned about this when trying to get the snipping tool. I tried a number of suggestions I found to no avail. I even used this command :...
  4. lost microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    lost microsoft store: my printer wouldnt connect so i restarted hp smart, but then it said to restart microsoft store because it would open and close the window immediately. so i re did that and now i cant get it back, ive tried every trick online ive found. power shell, enter programs, copy and...
  5. lost microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost microsoft store: my printer wouldnt connect so i restarted hp smart, but then it said to restart microsoft store because it would open and close the window immediately. so i re did that and now i cant get it back, ive tried every trick online ive found. power shell, enter programs, copy and...
  6. lost microsoft store

7. Microsoft account - device info

Microsoft account - device info: Hello everyone, I would like to check if this is common, the device OS edition is windows 10 while i have already upgrade to windows 11. Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-account-device-info/fca45f8e-f4ba-456d-8ebb-8137fa7c15d8
  8. Microsoft Store with info to work with

Microsoft Store with info to work with: Please help so whenever I try to open the Microsoft store, it doesn't open. After a bit of research, I couldn't find any fixes but found this on my computer. https://prnt.sc/11gw2k6 This is a screenshot of what I found when zooming through my apps. A few days ago it was...
  9. Lost Microsoft Store Account

Lost Microsoft Store Account: Basically I got a new windows on my computer and now I don't know what gmail is my game on microsoft store because I got multiple gmails.. I tried looking at every gmail and now I just don't know if it is supposed to show that I have bought the game or does it just delete it...
  10. Lost access to Microsoft Store account

Lost access to Microsoft Store account: Recently, an old computer I had broke. On that computer, there was a Microsoft account that had I purchased Minecraft Windows 10 edition with. Since I no longer have the computer, is it still possible for me to access my Microsoft Store account from another computer?...