Windows 10: Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

Discus and support Lost OneDrive from my Start folder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I rather stupidly lost OneDrive from my Start folder. I managed to almost recover it using instructions that I found on these forums. If I now tap on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rob Somerville, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

I rather stupidly lost OneDrive from my Start folder. I managed to almost recover it using instructions that I found on these forums. If I now tap on Start, Files-OneDrive, a window opens showing my Files from my old version of OneDrive. However, I often have to tap on a box on the top left corner and then on the OneDrive icon that appears. I find it hard to explain what I mean (multiple sclerosis problems) but I have the impression that using OneDrive is not as smooth or simple as it was a few days ago. Any ideas?

:)

Rob Somerville, Nov 1, 2016
  2. grahambm Win User

Help with location of user folders when Onedrive and Dropbox are being used.

I probably did not explain the problems.

First issue, we have Documents folders in Dropbox, Onedrive, This PC. But no separate Documents folder in user folder. (see first post)

If I add a second user, will they too be able to see same "This PC" and it's contents? If so, should I remove all personal files from those folders?

Second issue - the Documents folders are not all exactly the same. The Onedrive folder does not stay current. This probably because my wife uses a local log-in. No need for Onedrive really. Can we delete it in Win 10?

Seems to me, that we should have all personal folders in user folder. However, I don't want to start deleting folders only to find data has been lost.

grahambm, Nov 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 - "Microsoft OneDrive has stopped working"

Maybe this works (it worked at least for me):

1) Save folders and files from your original OneDrive to another location/disk.

2) Delete all Libraries as suggested in another reply. But, don't restore the Libraries before a reboot.

3) For Windows 10 start taskmgr, click on the Startup tab and right click at OneDrive -> Open File location (C:\Users\Henrik\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive).

4) Copy the Update\OneDriveSetup.exe to another location.

5) Go one level up in the file hierarchy and rename the OneDrive folder (if something locks it, reboot and continue from this step).

6) Reboot, if not already having done that from step 5).

7) Run the previously copied OneDriveSetup.exe (it complains...) and select your folders to synchronize.

8) Restore Libraries back to default.

Have fun...

/Henrik

EDIT: However, icon-images for your OneDrive folders are somehow lost, until next reboot.

HenrikBach1, Nov 1, 2016
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

If you mean your Start Menu, double-tap (or is it tap & hold)/right-click the Icon, and choose Pin to Start.

f14tomcat, Nov 1, 2016
  5. Thanks Dick, I have got a version of OneDrive in my Start Menu but it is called File - OneDrive and when I tap it a window opens that has OneDrive at the top and then the word, "Shared" and "This folder is empty". At the top left is a small blue rectangle with 12 tiny, white rectangles in it. When I tap this small rectangle a rectangle with the words, Mail, Calendar, People, OneDrive etc. appears. When I tap OneDrive a OneDrive window opens containing all the files in my OneDrive. This is OK but it does not work as it used to. I have files called OneDrive in my C drive and empty one in File Explorer that won't delete. I'd really like to get rid of OneDrive from my laptop and just have the one that Microsoft stored for me a couple of weeks ago, before I did what I did*Sad
    Rob

Rob Somerville, Nov 2, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 2, 2016
  7. I followed your instructions and, whether or not I set OneDrive to startup with Windows in my OneDrive settings, I have OneDrive with the name "Files - OneDrive" in my Start Menu and it does eventually take me to my files but I think that I have too many OneDrive files on my laptop. I'd like to get rid of them and have files like m favourite calendar be able to save backups to my OneDrive, kept by Microsoft.

Rob

Rob Somerville, Nov 2, 2016
  8. Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

I might be moving forward. I have a OneDrive icon in my Start folder but it looks like this,
    Lost OneDrive from my Start folder [​IMG]
    . If I open it and ask for the Properties and Location of any folders, for example, my icons folder I am told, "C:\Users\Robert\OneDrive\icons". I had expected or hoped for a folder on my OneDrive in the cloud. Where am I going wrong?

Rob

Rob Somerville, Nov 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 3, 2016
  10. Thanks Brink, I successfully dropped folders into 1 synced folder and saw it appear in the other and disappear when it should. Its nice to have at all working as it should. Its also nice to be classed as a Junior Member at the age of 66.

Rob Somerville, Nov 3, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Rob. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Lost OneDrive from my Start folder

1. Lost OneDrive from my Start folder - Similar Threads - Lost OneDrive Start

2. Lost my folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost my folder: I was transferring my photos from my android to windows. I cut and pasted photos in one folder from my phone to laptop and it was successful but after that while trying to transfer the remaining videos to the same folder some error came and the videos were not transferred and...
  3. Lost my folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost my folder: I was transferring my photos from my android to windows. I cut and pasted photos in one folder from my phone to laptop and it was successful but after that while trying to transfer the remaining videos to the same folder some error came and the videos were not transferred and...
  4. Lost my folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Folder structure of Onedrive lost

Folder structure of Onedrive lost: Hy, since today the folder structure of my personal onedrive is lost. All subfolder are shown inside the root folder. So I've 8.000 subfolders in the users\documents path. How to correct this, as I don't what happend? kr Andreas...
  6. Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?

Onedrive folder how to restore from the onedrive folder to my user folder?: I removed/uninstalled OneDrive but I still have a OneDrive folder and most of my files are in that folder including my documents, pics and desktop. While my computer seems to work okay can I restore the location of these files in my user folder rather than in the OneDrive...
  7. Lost permission to my own OneDrive folder

Lost permission to my own OneDrive folder: Hello, I have a OneDrive folder with family photos and videos in it. While trying to access one of the subfolders in that folder, it says for most of the objects in that folder that I don't have read permissions so I cannot view the photo/video. When I right click on the...
  8. Lost onedrive

Lost onedrive: I lost my house and all of my computer data including onedrive data in a recent fire. I bought a new computer and logged into my Microsoft one drive account and it is empty. I assume that is a new computer onedrive and not the old computer onedrive which did have data on...
  9. Lost permissions for my own OneDrive folder

Lost permissions for my own OneDrive folder: Hello, I have a OneDrive folder with photos and videos in it. While trying to access one of the subfolders in that folder, it says for most of the objects in that folder that I don't have read permissions so I cannot view the photo/video. When I right click on the folder...
  10. Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive

Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive: I recently reinstalled Windows and installed OneDrive, but did not launch it until yesterday. When I did I noticed that a large number of files were uploading - these were saved games, config files etc. from games saved in my Documents folder. As far as I have been able to...