Windows 10: Lost users names on initial screen

Discus and support Lost users names on initial screen in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 64 bit operating system, AMD A-10-7800 processor I was in the registry trying to enable switch user hot key and somehow I have now... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jicecube, Jan 3, 2018.

1. jicecube Win User

Lost users names on initial screen

Using Windows 10 64 bit operating system, AMD A-10-7800 processor
    I was in the registry trying to enable switch user hot key and somehow I have now lost the 2 users (hubby and me) from initial screen - all that shows is "other user." I think I mistakenly changed a default from 1 to 0 thinking I was in the hot key but wasn't?

:)

jicecube, Jan 3, 2018

2. User Name

Since installing Windows 10 Pro, the initial Welcome screen (sign-in screen) shows my Microsoft sign-in twice.
    This is what appears on the initial sign-in screen:

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

My user name on my PC is my First name and Last name. This is what I want to appear on the initial sign-in screen:

Firstname Lastname

How can I get my PC’s user name to appear on the Welcome Screen above my User Name?
    I do not want to sign in as a local account. I ran SFC and the result was that all files are ok.
    This problem did not occur with Windows 8 Pro.

Bradford Noel, Jan 3, 2018
  3. Change user name

Since installing Windows 10 Pro, the initial Welcome screen (sign-in screen) shows my Microsoft sign-in twice.
    This is what appears on the initial sign-in screen:

L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

My user name on my PC is my First name and Last name.
    This is what I want to appear on the initial sign-in screen:

Firstname Lastname

How can I get my PC’s user name to appear on the Welcome Screen above my User Name?
    I do not want to sign in as a local account. I ran SFC and the result was that all files are ok.
    This problem did not occur with Windows 8 Pro.

Bradford Noel, Jan 3, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Do you have a restore point you can use to undo your changes? This would be the easiest way to revert back.

System Restore Windows 10

philc43, Jan 3, 2018
  5. jicecube Win User
    I don't think so. I don't know how to do that.

jicecube, Jan 3, 2018
  6. philc43 Win User
    Follow option 2 in the tutorial I posted *Smile

philc43, Jan 3, 2018
  7. jicecube Win User
    I found it, and it has two dates - one is 12/27/2017 Automatic Restore Point, and 12/16/2017 Windows Update critical update. I assume I have to choose 12/27/2017 and will lose 9 days of work? Thank you.

jicecube, Jan 3, 2018
  8. philc43 Win User

Choose the one that is the closest date before you lost the user names, so 12/27/2017 is probably the one. You may not lose everything as it only changes system related files, any new programs added since 27th might not work and so you may have to add them again.

philc43, Jan 3, 2018
  9. jicecube Win User
    I didn't want you to think I wasn't following up. It took some time for the restore but that worked and it appears that all my documents are ok. I did have to redownload Chrome (my preferred browser as Edge is sooo slow) and that took a long time too - my internet is very slow. so apparently all is working and I appreciate your help very much!!

jicecube, Jan 3, 2018
  10. philc43 Win User
    You are most welcome! Have a great day!

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost users names on initial screen - Similar Threads - Lost users names

2. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  3. Users folder name does name match user name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users folder name does name match user name: I'm on Windows 11 and did a fresh install, logged in with my Microsoft account but all my user info is locked.The C:\Users profile name is a portion of the email address associated with my Microsoft account and not my actual name.The netplwiz options are locked and shows my...
  4. Hide user name from login screen (no typing the name)?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hide user name from login screen (no typing the name)?: I know that you can disable the "pre-typing" of the user name on the lock screen, so that it looks like this: In that case you have to type both the user name and the password for unlocking. But what I want is to not have to type the user name, but just hide it, so that it...
  5. Change logon screen user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change logon screen user name: My Huawei Matebook D14 had a major problem fixed under warranty but involved reformat or replacement of SSD and reinstallation of Windows 10 Home. All OK now except that the user name is Huawei instead of my name. I would like to correct this. Presume that it needs editing of...
  6. Unknown initial after my name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown initial after my name: Under my devices in Microsoft account, it has my first name then a T. What's up with that? I don't have a T as my last name initial. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-initial-after-my-name/a8639a65-e4e2-4752-a3a0-de01178b1577
  7. User Name

User Name: Opps. I misspelled my wife name. How do I edit the 'User Name' to correct. Wife is not too happy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-name/6e7c61c9-fb13-426d-a7fb-62ca1a5c8ec1
  8. All user names not on Sign-In Screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All user names not on Sign-In Screen: Split from this thread. Hi can any one help me to solve this issue with my pc. I'm using windows 10 pro. On my pc welcome screen not showing multiple user name to log in. I added users as my family members in account sitting. But user name not display on welcome screen....
  9. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. NET USER and Initial Bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    NET USER and Initial Bootup: Good Day, I disabled the Admin account but I have a user that just reboots the system and hits F8 and boot to the prompt thus running the Net User command. How do I prevent this? I have the WIN10 Pro machine joined to the Domain but doesn't make a difference. I...