Windows 10: Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it

Discus and support Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi, I hope someone can help. I'm running Windows 10 32bit V. 1709. I have two partitions, one with the OS and one with DATA. As I occasionally restore... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by KiwiTim, Feb 25, 2018.

1. KiwiTim Win User

Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it

Hi, I hope someone can help. I'm running Windows 10 32bit V. 1709. I have two partitions, one with the OS and one with DATA. As I occasionally restore my OS with a system image, I moved all my Personal folders over to the DATA partition, including Desktop, Documents .... and Favorites. This normally works fine I just use the Location tab on the folder properties dialog. I was having some trouble with a Loyus Approach database giving me read/write access so I thought I'd tried renaming the DATA partition with a different drive letter. Of course I lost access to my personal folders as the path to them had now changed. I rectified this using each personal folder's propertes and location tab. The renamed DATA partition letter caused some other issues with programs, so I converted it back to its original letter and adjusted the paths for my personal folders. I could not find a 'Location' tab for favorites.When I open IE no favorites are listed. I tried editing the registry to direct the Favorites to the correct folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Favorites and put %USERPROFILE%\Favorites, rebooted, but still IE did not list Favorites. I also tried user the direct path to the Favorites Folder "E:\MyPC\Favorites", but this did not work either. Tried resetting IE, but still did not work. There are complete favorites folders in both the default location and on the DATA partition, but W10 doesn't seem to be able to see them.

:)

KiwiTim, Feb 25, 2018

2. Lost favorites after last Windows 10 update !!!

Hi Osalty,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to refer the links below and check if that resolves the issue.

Find missing favorites in File Explorer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-missing-favorites-in-file-explorer

Use favorites to save websites you like:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/add-view-organize-favorites#ie=ie-11

You may also refer;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-lost-files-after-the-update-to-windows-10

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Feb 25, 2018
  3. me777& Win User
    Favorites missing from menu

IE 11 on Windows 10

All of a sudden, my Favorites don't show up under the Favorites menu. Instead I see [Empty].

Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it [​IMG]

The Favorites folder is fine and they are still visible and work from Favorites / Organize Favorites in the menu and "View Favorites" under the Star icon. I have tried resetting IE and deleting the Favorites folder and restoring it: no change. I can't find
    a FixIt for IE11 on Win 10.

Suggestions?

me777&, Feb 25, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

This is the recommended way to relocate favourites:
    Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Maybe something there will help.

Mine are on E: - the path occurs in
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2598030854-xxxxxxxxxxxx-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2598030854-xxxxxxxxxxxx-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

(or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\
    )

Following the tutorial - shell:favorites opens explorer, then you can see the Location tab and path.

Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 25, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Tim,

1 There are two similarly-named Registry keys and you only refer to having corrected one of them [Shell folders]. Look 10 keys down and you will see User shell folders. Make sure that the Favorites entry here is also what it ought to be. [Personally, I always alter the User shell folders entries and I find that the Shell folders entries then change to match them automatically.] Always enter the address in full - E:\MyPC\Favorites rather than %UserProfile%\Favorites

2 @dalchina's advice & its tutorial link are both likely to solve your problem but do note the last part of Dalchina's post because it is probably the quickest method in your particular case - enter shell:favorites into File explorer's address bar and it will take you straight to the folder the system is actually using for your IE Favorites. You can then set its Properties, Location tab to the folder you want to use. When you have done this, you could go to all the false [IE] Favorites folders you have been chasing around and you should find that none of them have a Properties, Location tab which means you can delete them.

3 I have always managed to recover from having messed up my user folder locations. If neither Dalchina's advice nor mine resolves your problem I suspect that your user profile has been corrupted.

4 Note that both @dalchina's post and mine relate to IE Favorites not Edge Favorites.

Best of luck,

Denis

6. KiwiTim Win User
    Thanks Try3 and dalchina! Putting the path into HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\ did the trick. Solved.

KiwiTim, Feb 25, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Glad it was that simple!

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Lost Windows 10 Favorites: IE can't find it - Similar Threads - Lost Favorites can't

2. Lost Favorites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost Favorites: One morning most of the Favorites I use all the time disappeared. these are the favorites I use most. I looked everywhere and to no avail. The first place I looked was the recycle bin, nothing. Does anyone have any idea where they might have gone? I happen to use a lot of...
  3. Lost Favorites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Favorites: One morning most of the Favorites I use all the time disappeared. these are the favorites I use most. I looked everywhere and to no avail. The first place I looked was the recycle bin, nothing. Does anyone have any idea where they might have gone? I happen to use a lot of...
  4. Lost Favorites

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't find favorites.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't find favorites.: Hi, I am running Windows 10, version 2004, on a Dell desktop. I am not able to find my favorites. If I for example find a topic on say You Tube, and add it to favorites, and later decide to look at the topic, when I click the favorites button, only my "Favorite bar" comes...
  6. Can't find favorites.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't find favorites.: Hi, I am running Windows 10, version 2004, on a Dell desktop. I am not able to find my favorites. If I for example find a topic on say You Tube, and add it to favorites, and later decide to look at the topic, when I click the favorites button, only my "Favorite bar" comes...
  7. edge update . I lost all my favorites from IE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    edge update . I lost all my favorites from IE: When I logged on today my system updated to edge and I lost ALL my favorites on IE , I never used edge or Bing. I used google as my search engine and I fumbled around trying to import my favorites. Instead it imported some very old favorite bar which is of no use . I...
  8. Can't delete favorites folder in ie 11

in Browsers and Email
    Can't delete favorites folder in ie 11: Deleted all favorites folders accept one in the following screenshots: [img] [img] Henry PS No error message, right click, click on delete, and nothing happens. 73232
  9. Can't delete favorite in IE 11.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't delete favorite in IE 11.: Cannot delete folder in IE 11. See screenshot. Henry [img] 68657
  10. IE favorites

in Browsers and Email
    IE favorites: In build 10130, I have been deleting unwanted favourites, they end up in the recycle bin and are then deleted. Next time I switch on the pc, the unwanted favourites have reappeared. What am I doing wrong? 7414