Windows 10: Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

Discus and support Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Good! Sometimes you just have to wait. Build 14371 from yesterday, took hours yesterday for it to appear for me on other editions than PRO, still early... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Jun 7, 2016.

1. badrobot Win User

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image

I was planning to do the 14371 upgrade on viiBoot vm. So, 2 days ago I switched my Insider machine to Slow Ring to prevent the update from downloading. But to my surprise, it was still downloading even though it's on slow ring (see gif image below). I did not stop it to avoid corruption and just let it do it's thing.
    The viiBoot update I posted above is just a test.

Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image [​IMG]

badrobot, Jun 22, 2016
  2. maqcs Win User

Just wondering if the viboot technology-preview is stable enough to use? Has anyone experienced any problems?

maqcs, Jul 11, 2016
  3. Kari Win User
    No issues so far.

I have for instance a Macrium image created from Build 14372, which I upgraded to 14379 with viBoot, then again upgraded to 14385 on Sunday. Restoring the twice upgraded image went without problems and computer where image was restored to runs now 14385 as it should.

Of course I have to admit that I have not tested it extensively. My use of viBoot is quite basic; I have a few base Macrium images, containing a sysprepped customized Windows, which I then upgrade with new builds.

I occasionally add / remove some files and software to these images.

The one and only minor issue is that when modified image is saved it uses a lot of computer resources. On my 12 GB system the available RAM for instance dives down to less than 500 MB when writing the modified image, making the PC almost unusable while the image is being written.

4. Cliff S New Member

viBoot Released! – Macrium Software Blog
    Macrium viBoot - Release Notes

Release Date
    15th July 2016 Version
    6.1.1405 - First production release Download Link
    http://updates.macrium.com/viboot/v6...ibootsetup.msi New Features
    • Improved support for Windows 10.
    • Supports images with up to 64 drives.
    • Backup the virtual machine without deleting it (requires Macrium Reflect).
    • Added “None” option when selecting virtual switches.
    • Optimized the drive mounting process to reduce virtual machine creation time.
    • Improved user interface components.
    • Automatic CPU count detection.
    • Complete overhaul of the logging capabilities and a new log pane view.
    • Removed dependency on Microsoft services.
    Bug Fixes
    • Improved support for booting Windows XP based images.
    • Temporary files are now deleted when no longer needed.
    • Improved reliability of the Virtual SCSI Adapter device driver.
    Known Issues
    • Virtual Machines based on images stored on a network share will not persist over a restart of the host computer.
    http://updates.macrium.com/viboot/v6...ase_notes.html

Cliff S, Jul 15, 2016
  5. Kari Win User
    Thanks Cliff, need to edit tutorial, remove the references for viBoot still being Tech Preview *Smile

6. Kari Win User
    Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

7. maqcs Win User
    Hi Kari,

Which version of Windows are you running?

The log file correctly states that viBoot has failed to initialize the Macrium Reflect SCSI adapter. Without the Macrium Reflect SCSI adapter it is not possible to create a Hyper-V VM.

Did you uninstall the tech-preview before installing the released version of viBoot?

Thanks,

Mike.

maqcs, Jul 15, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

I have viBoot on several machines.

On those machines I have now tried update, clean install, everything. I have tried every known trick to bypass driver signing. viBoot does not work for me at the moment due the before mentioned error.

9. maqcs Win User
    Could you tell me the exact version of Windows that are running on the machines?

maqcs, Jul 15, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    Windows 10 Education and Pro, Build 14390, although I don't understand what difference it makes.

11. Kari Win User
    I've tried bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON, as well as selecting Disable driver signature enforcement in boot options:

Using a restore point which restores my systems to a point before update, using viBoot Tech preview I have no issues.

12. Kari Win User
    @maqcs, did some more research.

First, I think it's the best to test this with latest Insider build 14390. Official release of Anniversary Update is only two weeks away, that build going to be either this one or one of not yet released builds. There's no use to test this with older builds, MS will start pushing the Anniversary Update to users of stable version quite soon.

That being said, I did two tests. First I installed W10 PRO build 14390 on a Hyper-V vm, enabled nested virtualization to get Hyper-V enabled on that vm, setup Hyper-V, installed viBoot, and when run got these two messages:

Using Hyper-V checkpoint I restored the vm to point before installing viBoot. Disabling driver signature I was this time able to install viBoot and run it but as soon as it started I was shown this:

Repeated this test on a spare HP ProBook laptop, clean installing W10 PRO build 14390. The results were exactly the same. I am totally unable to run viBoot.

I hope Macrium gets this fixed, I really like viBoot and its possibilities. The tutorial needs to be updated but I am postponing it until I know viBoot works.

13. Kari Win User

Just an update:

Extracted the viBoot Tech Preview installer from an earlier Macrium image:

Using this installer, viBoot works without MrScsi.sys complaining about driver signature.

It stops working as soon as I update it to official release, this one:

14. Kari Win User
    According to emails I have received from Macrium, all issues have been fixed and Macrium viBoot works as designed, allowing users to service, update and upgrade their Windows system images. Tutorial has been updated.

It's long time since I've been this enthusiastic and happy with a new software product. Macrium Reflect for imaging, be it free or paid for version, together with viBoot for servicing my images makes a complete, powerful backup system.

An example scenario to show what I mean:

• Install Windows 10, create full backup with Macrium Reflect
    • Install your software, create a differential or incremental backup
    • Join Windows Insider program opting in for Fast Ring
    • When Insiders get a new build, make an ISO of the ESD file (tutorial) and upgrade your PC
    • Use viBoot to mount your latest differential or incremental image in Hyper-V
    • Upgrade the vm, either from Windows Update or using your ISO
    • Using viBoot create a new differential or incremental image
    • When time comes (for us geeks it always comes!) to reinstall Windows, use Macrium Reflect instead of clean install restoring your last differential or incremental image made in viBoot. It contains Windows 10 upgraded to last Insider build with all your software already installed. Much faster than clean installing Windows, updating it and then installing all software!
    • When the next Insider build is released, repeat steps 4 through 7
    That's it. It couldn't be easier *Smile

15. Kari Win User
    Quote from TF Saturday Live Chat: The Anniversary - Windows 10 Forums:

Thema:

1. Macrium viBoot - Create Virtual Machine using Macrium Image - Similar Threads - Macrium viBoot Create

2. Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Reflect viBoot - Can't delete large *.diff.vhdx: Hi there, I have successfully installed free Macrium Reflect on Windows 10, do scheduled full and differential images, and have used viBoot to create VM's and logged in to check images. The VM's end up in a default location on my C: drive. I only created the VM's to make...
  3. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  4. Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect ViBoot Query: I notice when I boot a Reflect image using viBoot that I cannot logon to a Microsoft user account having a PIN or password but I can log into my admin account which is a local account using the admin password. Is this normal behaviour? 150623
  5. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  6. VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VIBOOT with 32bit UEFI image from Macrium: I have a Macrium Reflect Free image backup from my tablet which is uses a 32bit uefi format installation. I tried to open it in viboot but it refused to open it, and got in a loading failed loop. Installs done with 64bit uefi work fine. I checked the image and it is...
  7. Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect: OK here's my scenario, I have successfully used Macrium Reflect to create images saved on a 1TB external drive. I had 2 good images stored on it and tried to put 3rd image on the same drive. Please note that I have used one of save images to restore the system after replacing...
  8. Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing

Macrium Viboot feature and windows 7 testing: [img] Hello experts, two questions pls 1. I am unable to see viboot feature while restoring in macrium free reflect? Is it restricted to paid version? 2. I tried to viboot in windows 10 machine with windows 7 image and getting attached error? Any idea pls...
  9. Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image

Macrium Reflect Is taking a long time to create an image: I am using Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of my WD portable hard drive. It has about 1TB worth of files on it. I installed the latest version of Macrium Reflect and used all the default settings to make the backup. It has been 1.5 hours so far and is 7% complete. At...
  10. Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot: How to: Macrium Reflect - Use Macrium Image to set up Dual / Multi Boot [img] Information If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact...