Windows 10: Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10

Discus and support Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 How to Perform Advanced Searches in Windows 10 Mail App [img] Information The Windows 10 Mail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10

How to: Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10

How to Perform Advanced Searches in Windows 10 Mail App

Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The Windows 10 Mail app can be searched by typing in keywords into the search box, which will search all emails currently downloaded to the app, whether the computer is currently online or offline.

However the computer is currently online, then for certain mail providers it is possible to perform a more advanced search, which allows searching of specific fields, searching in a date range, and combining multiple criteria to narrow down the results.

This technique works differently for different mail providers and may not work for all of them. Currently I have tested it with Outlook, (including Outlook.com and Outlook within Office 365 for Business) and Google's GMail.

These two services work in a similar way, but the search criteria you can use are specific to the mail provider. Search criteria which work in Outlook are different from the criteria which work for GMail.

The computer must be online for this technique to work.
    Note Microsoft is frequently providing update to the Mail and Calendar app. It is recommended you check the Windows Store for app updates to ensure you are running the latest version of the app.
    Tip You can learn more about search expressions in both GMail and Outlook by using a browser to search their mail websites, and typing these expressions into their search boxes.
    CONTENTS:

Option One [/i] Search for emails with an Outlook account
    1.1 Gather together information you know or can remember about an email to produce some search criteria. For instance do you know roughly when it was sent, or who sent it? Do you know a sender who the email was definitely NOT from?

1.2 Use that information to decide if you can use one or more of the keywords in the Advanced Query Search below. The format used is keyword:{search expression} and these can be combined together.

For example to find emails from David, you might use from:David.

More details of the possible keywords and expressions are below.

Information
    Outlook Advanced Query Search (AQS) keywords
    [table][tr][td]Keyword[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]From:[/td] [td]Searches the From field[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]To:[/td] [td]Searches the To field[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Cc:[/td] [td]Searches the Cc field[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Bcc:[/td] [td]Searches the Bcc field Note:You can't find messages that you received on Bcc[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Participants:[/td] [td]Searches the From, To, Cc and Bcc fields[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Subject:[/td] [td]Searches the subject[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Body: or Content:[/td] [td]Searches the message body[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Sent:[/td] [td]Searches for the date sent Search for a range of dates separated by two dots (..) Search for relative dates: today, tomorrow, yesterday, this week, next month, last week You can search for the day of the week or month of the year. It's not clear which date format to use, as the AQS web page does not correspond with actual behaviour for me in the UK. I find YYYY/MM/DD works for me[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Received:[/td] [td]Searches for the date received. You can use the same search terms as for Sent.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Category:[/td] [td]Searches the Category field.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]HasAttachment:yes[/td] [td]Return only emails with attachments[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]HasAttachment:no[/td] [td]Return only emails without attachments[/td] [/tr] [tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]IsFlagged:yes[/td] [td]Return only emails which are flagged[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]IsFlagged:no[/td] [td]Return only emails which are not flagged[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Search Expressions
    • Search expressions in double quotes match emails with all those words in the same order, so the exact expression must match
      For example From:"Ten Forums" would match emails from Ten Forums
    • Search expressions in brackets match emails with all those words, not necessarily in the same order
      For example From:(Forums Ten) would also match emails from Ten Forums
    Wildcards
    The * character can be used as a wildcard, at the end of a search expression but can not be used at the start.

For example:
    subject:windo* would match emails with a subject of Windows, but
    subject:*ndows would not match any emails

Boolean expressions
    The Boolean expressions AND, OR, NOT can be used to join multiple keyword searches. These need to be in UPPER CASE. The word AND is assumed if multiple keywords and expressions are used.

For example:subject:windo* NOT from:"Ten Forums"
    would match emails with a subject of Windows which were not sent from Ten Forums

Source:Search Mail and People in Outlook on the web for business

1.3 Create your search expression. Some example search expressions are:
    • Find emails sent by "Ten Forums"
    • Find emails sent last week
      • Received:"last week"
    • Find emails sent last month
      • Received:"last month"
    • Find emails sent on the 10th of August 2016
      • Received:2016/08/10
    • Find emails sent between the 10th of August 2016 and the 31st of August 2016
      • Received:2016/08/10..2016/08/31
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', sent in July 2016
      • content:Upgrade AND Received:2016/07/01..2016/07/31
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', sent in July 2016 (as above but notice the word AND is not required)
      • content:Upgrade Received:2016/07/01..2016/07/31
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', OR emails sent in July 2016
      • content:Upgrade OR Received:2016/07/01..2016/07/31
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', which were not sent in July 2016
      • content:Upgrade NOT Received:2016/07/01..2016/07/31
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', which were not sent in July 2016 or sent by Ten Forums
      • content:Upgrade NOT (Received:2016/07/01..2016/07/31 OR From:"Ten Forums")
    1.4 Type your search expression into the search box in the Windows 10 Mail app, and click on the search icon (the magnifying glass symbol).

1.5 If this brings back no results, the option to 'Search Online' will appear, in which case you should click on 'Search Online'.

1.6 A list of emails matching your search criteria should appear.

1.7 If you like, you can use the drop down on the right hand side to show results from the current folder or from All folders.

1.8 Click on one or more emails you want to look at, from the results.

1.9 Once you have finished searching, use the 'X' to the right of the search box to exit the search mode.

Option Two [/i] Search for emails with a GMail account
    2.1 Gather together information you know or can remember about an email to produce some search criteria. For instance do you know roughly when it was sent, or who sent it? Do you know a sender who the email was definitely NOT from?

2.2 Use that information to decide if you can use one or more of the Google Search Operators below. The format used for many keywords is keyword:{search expression} and these can be combined together.

For example to find emails from David, you might use from:David.

More details of the possible keywords and expressions are below.

Information
    Google Search Operators
    [table][tr][td]Keyword[/td] [td]Description[/td] [td]Example[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]from:[/td] [td]Specify the sender[/td] [td]from:Forums[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]to:[/td] [td]Searches the To field[/td] [td]to:David[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]cc:[/td] [td]Searches the Cc field[/td] [td]cc:David[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]bcc:[/td] [td]Searches the Bcc field Note:You can't find messages that you received on Bcc[/td] [td]bcc:David[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]subject:[/td] [td]Searches the subject[/td] [td]subject:Windows[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]AROUND[/td] [td]Find messages with words near each other. Use the number to say how many words apart the words can be. Note that the word 'AROUND' must be in upper-case[/td] [td]dinner AROUND 5 friday[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]label:[/td] [td]Messages that have a certain label[/td] [td]label:friends[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]has:attachment[/td] [td]Messages that have an attachment[/td] [td]has:attachment[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]list:[/td] [td]Messages from a mailing list[/td] [td]list:L: [email protected][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]filename:[/td] [td]Attachments with a certain name or file type[/td] [td]filename:pdf filename:homework.txt[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]in:[/td] [td]Messages in the named folder[/td] [td]in:Inbox movie[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]in:anywhere[/td] [td]Messages in any folder, including Spam and Trash[/td] [td]in:anywhere movie[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]is:important label:important[/td] [td]Search for messages that are marked as important[/td] [td]is:important[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]is:starred is:unread is:read [/td] [td]Starred, unread, or read messages[/td] [td]is:read is:starred[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]is:chat[/td] [td]Chat messages[/td] [td]is:chat movie[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]has:yellow-star has:blue-info[/td] [td]Messages that include an icon of a certain color[/td] [td]hasMail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 :purple-star[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]after: newer:[/td] [td]Messages on or after the specified date[/td] [td]after:2014/04/16 newer:2014/04/16[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]before: older:[/td] [td]Messages on or before the specified date[/td] [td]before:2016/04/16 older:2016/04/16[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]before: older: after: newer: [/td] [td]These can be combined to find messages sent between two dates[/td] [td]after:2014/04/16 before:2016/04/17[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]older_than: newer_than:[/td] [td]Search for messages older or newer than a time period using d (day), m (month), and y (year)[/td] [td]newer_than:2d[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]-[/td] [td]Remove messages from your results[/td] [td]Windows -Android returns emails matching the keyword 'Windows' but where the keyword Android not does not appear[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]deliveredto:[/td] [td]Messages delivered to a certain email address[/td] [td]deliveredto:L: [email protected][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]category:[/td] [td]Messages in a certain category[/td] [td]category:updates[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]size:[/td] [td]Messages larger than a certain size in bytes[/td] [td]size:1000000[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]larger: smaller:[/td] [td]Messages larger or smaller than a certain size in bytes[/td] [td]larger:10M[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]+[/td] [td]Results that match a word exactly[/td] [td]+unicorn[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]rfc822msgid:[/td] [td]Messages with a certain message-id header[/td] [td]rfc822msgid:L: [email protected][/td] [/tr] [tr][td]has:userlabels has:nouserlabels[/td] [td]Messages that have or don't have a label Note: Labels are only added to a message, and not an entire conversation.[/td] [td]has:nouserlabels[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]OR or { }[/td] [td]Messages that match multiple terms[/td] [td]from:amy OR from:david {from:amy from:david}[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]" "[/td] [td]Search for an exact word or phrase[/td] [td]"dinner and movie tonight"[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]( )[/td] [td]Group multiple search terms together[/td] [td]subjectMail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 :(dinner movie)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Search Expressions
    • Search expressions in double quotes match emails with all those words in the same order, so the exact expression must match
      For example From:"Ten Forums" would match emails from Ten Forums
    • Search expressions in brackets match emails with all those words, not necessarily in the same order
      For example From:(Forums Ten) would also match emails from Ten Forums

Boolean expressions
    The Boolean expressions AND, OR, NOT can be used to join multiple keyword searches. These need to be in UPPER CASE. The word AND is assumed if multiple keywords and expressions are used.

For example: subject:windows NOT from:"Ten Forums"
    would match emails with a subject of Windows which were not sent from Ten Forums

However some expressions cannot be combined with OR or NOT in this way.

For instance: subject:windows OR after:2016/07/01
    looks like it should messages with either a subject containing 'windows' or sent after 1 July 2016, but this does not work; it only returns messages with a subject containing 'windows' (and probably messages containing the expression 'after:2017/07/01' as a literal text value, but such messages are less likely).

The equivalent expressions in Outlook can be combined in this way into more complex expressions.

Source:Search operators you can use with Gmail

2.3 Create your search expression. Some example search expressions are:
    • Find emails sent by "Ten Forums"
    • Find emails sent in the last 7 days
      • newer_than:7d
    • Find emails sent on the 10th of August 2016
      • after:2016/08/10 before:2016/08/11
    • Find emails sent between the 10th of August 2016 and the 31st of August 2016
      • after:2016/08/10 before:2016/09/01
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', sent in July 2016
      • Upgrade AND after:2016/07/01 AND before:2016/08/01
    • Find emails containing the word 'Upgrade', sent in July 2016 (as above but notice the word AND is not required)
      • Upgrade after:2016/07/01 before:2016/08/01
    • Find emails containing the word 'Windows' and 'Creators' within 5 words of each other
      • windows AROUND 5 creators
    • Find emails with a subject of 'Windows' which are NOT from Ten Forums
      • subject:windows -from:(Ten Forums)

2.4 Type your search expression into the search box in the Windows 10 Mail app, and click on the search icon (the magnifying glass symbol).

2.5 Normally this will bring back no results but the option to 'Search Online' will appear. Click on 'Search Online'.

2.6 A list of emails matching your search criteria should appear.

2.7 If you like, you can use the drop down on the right hand side to show results from the current folder or from All folders.

2.8 Click on one or more emails you want to look at, from the results.

2.9 Once you have finished searching, use the 'X' to the right of the search box to exit the search mode.

That's it,
    David

:)

Brink, Mar 6, 2017
  2. bhrnjica Win User

Windows 10 Mail app and Index Search

In Windows 8 and 8.1 I can search for emails which are handled with Mail app through the Index Search, but this is not a case for Mail app in Windows 10. I cannot find any mails from Mail app in Windows 10. I have checked if I selected the right path (AppData
    folder) in the Indexing Option, but seems everything is OK there.

Can somebody know more about Indexing mails from Windows 10 Mail app. Is something changed.

Thank you in advance

Bahrudin

bhrnjica, Mar 6, 2017
  3. Ginxul Win User
    Mail and Calendar apps not starting in Windows 10

Hello,

I have a problem, neither Mail nor Calendar apps open on my laptop when I click on them.

Moreover, if I search for "mail" for example, under best match I get Mail, but its icon is greyed and below it is displayed "desktop app". Same thing for Calendar. But, if I search for "Photos" for example (that works), this is displayed normally, with "Trusted
    Windows Store app" below it.

I mention I use Windows 10 build 10586.

Any idea how I can sort out this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Ginxul, Mar 6, 2017
Thema:

Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10

1. Mail app Advanced Searching in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Mail app Advanced

2. advanced setup in windows 10 for verizon/aol e-mail in windows mail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    advanced setup in windows 10 for verizon/aol e-mail in windows mail: i have had verizon/aol e-mail as my windows e-mail several times on my windows 10 lenova thinkpad computer but over the past year or so it gets glitzy and stops working . I go back reset it back up, works for awhile and then stops working and as before i get the message "your...
  3. advanced setup in windows 10 for verizon/aol e-mail in windows mail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    advanced setup in windows 10 for verizon/aol e-mail in windows mail: i have had verizon/aol e-mail as my windows e-mail several times on my windows 10 lenova thinkpad computer but over the past year or so it gets glitzy and stops working . I go back reset it back up, works for awhile and then stops working and as before i get the message "your...
  4. advanced setup in windows 10 for verizon/aol e-mail in windows mail

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Mail app not searching mail body

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mail app not searching mail body: Title says it all - I've experienced this for quite some time now. I can recreate it by highlighing the email I'm looking for then searching for a phrase inside the content of the emal ... search finds nothing. Is there a fix that isn't "use another mail app" ? submitted by...
  6. Windows 10 mail search

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 mail search: Hi, When I search for an email using the online facility, a list of related emails appears. However when I select the email I would like to open, it opens and closes immediately and then all the other emails that were available in the search open and close automatically. So...
  7. Mail App - Search Goes Crazy

Mail App - Search Goes Crazy: Hello Everyone, Thanks for looking at my post .. I have a strange one that is confusing me .. I have a user who when she does a search in the mail app items show up with no trouble , but when you click on one of the emails all of sudden the program goes crazy and things...
  8. Windows Mail Advanced Mail settings DOES NOT exist???

Windows Mail Advanced Mail settings DOES NOT exist???: Microsoft Support keeps telling people to go to Advanced Mail settings under Sync Settings but the Advanced Mail settings DO NOT exist under Sync Settings. And NO my email is not currently syncing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows mail, but mail still does not have...
  9. Mail App Windows 10 Search is slow

Mail App Windows 10 Search is slow: The search function in Mail app is slow. It takes about 15 sec. to get a result. I use only one account, Gmail, with Mail app. When I search online directly in Gmail, the results are immediate. With Outlook the results are also rather quick, but with Mail they are very slow....
  10. Advanced searching

in Windows 10 Support
    Advanced searching: Under windows 7. I can search files from any period 5/10/2007 - 12/11/2010. Under windows 10 I can only search Today, Yesterday, This week, Last Week, This month, Last month, This year, last year. This is stupid. Can't search before last year. 116567