Windows 10: Making boot media from partition

Discus and support Making boot media from partition in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an HP laptop that has had some problems for about a year. I tried reinstalling windows by refreshing, but the installation failed and I still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rosawoodsii, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Making boot media from partition

I have an HP laptop that has had some problems for about a year. I tried reinstalling windows by refreshing, but the installation failed and I still have the same problem (corrupted recycle bin). I've tried using both the save files and don't save files options but the result is the same. I'd like to reinstall using the data from the backup disk but would like to run it from a USB. Is there any way to do that?

Barring that, is there a way I can download a safe copy of Windows 10 Home to boot from a USB or disk?

It's running Version 10.0.18362

:)

rosawoodsii, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Dandel Win User
    How to go about building a tri-boot system?

i dual boot all the time, and going in to tri boot is easy.

step 1) partition the drive in to 3 partitions ( leaving 1 empty for the linux installer. )
    step 2) install windows on the first 2 partitions.
    step 3) install linux, and let it auto partition the remaining space. ( i recommend at least 30gb of space for linux, because it will make things a lot easier. )

step 4) enjoy.

Dandel, Jan 18, 2020
  4. Wile E Win User

Making boot media from partition

How to go about building a tri-boot system?

Yeah, but he's throwing OS X in there. Not quite as easy to do, but not all that hard. Manual configuration of GRUB is necessary.

Wile E, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Making boot media from partition

1. Making boot media from partition - Similar Threads - Making boot media

2. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  3. Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making a Smaller Bootable Media Partition: When making a bootable media through the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool, it tells you that the minimum device filesize needed to create the bootable media must be at least 8 GB. If you try installing to a single volume thumbdrive with the partition occupying the whole drive,...
  4. I messed up making the partition during boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...
  5. I messed up making the partition during boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...
  6. Booting from Rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from Rescue media: Hello All, -I use HP Compaq 8300 SFF as a second machine W 10 x64 Version10.0.19041 Build 19041 running in Legacy BIOS mode, the EUFI is missing. Checking the MR Rescue DVD was possible, booting F9 selecting SATA2 (HP forum advice). -This method however assumes a functioning...
  7. Deleting partitions from boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting partitions from boot: Does my drive get wiped of i delete all partitions and format from the new windows install with usb? submitted by /u/VishVadeva [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ib6c3i/deleting_partitions_from_boot/
  8. Booting from USB Partition..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from USB Partition..: Hi, I have both the Windows 10 1903 and 1909 ISOs, and have added both to a 1 USB with 2 partitions (1 on each partition). Currently only the 1st partition boots directly without giving me any options to boot from the second partition. Is there a way for both the partitions...
  9. Booting from a Cloned Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from a Cloned Partition: I have cloned a partition using AOEMI Backupper and I have tried to find out how to make the cloned partition bootable. No luck with that. Note that this PC has one Hard Drive and which is UEFI/GPT based. Is it possible to make the cloned partition (G) bootable. The...
  10. Can you make an installation partition in the boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you make an installation partition in the boot partition: Hi guys I would like to know if there should be any problems with extending the boot partition (the first little 500 Mb) to f.x. 5.Gb and then make this partition into a recovery partition eventually with some other tools like LSoft Active@ bootdisk etc. I am using the...