Windows 10: Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently

Discus and support Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Does anyone know the minimum I need to have set to "on" to get mail notifications to work consistently with action center? Is it possible? Yesterday I... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tomseys, Nov 14, 2015.

1. tomseys Win User

Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently

Does anyone know the minimum I need to have set to "on" to get mail notifications to work consistently with action center? Is it possible? Yesterday I got it working pretty consistently and I thought great but today it seems to work only occasionally. I've read this is common.

I have a live and outlook email account. I have them set up on the mail app and both are set to allow a banner notification in the settings on the mail app. I also have in Settings/System/Notifications and Actions/Show notifications from these apps/Mail set to ON banners and sound.

I also have the Mail app as the default.

What else beside this in Settings/System and Settings/Privacy do i need enabled to get Mail notifications to work reliably?

I have Thunderbird which gives me notifications but I don't like to leave it on and would like it if the notifications could work.

:)

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015

2. Not getting mail notifications/appearing on action center

You are not alone! This is a common problem with the Windows 10 Mail App - especially if you use a Gmail account. I have a Gmail account and a Comcast account attached to the Mail app and I've noticed that notification banners and Action Center notifications
    appear more consistently for my Comcast email. My Gmail notifications (when they do appear, which is rare) will actually disappear from the Action Center and Mail Live Tile after a certain amount of time has passed, regardless of whether or not I open the
    Mail app to view my Gmail. However, the Comcast mail notifications will remain in Action Center and Live Tile until I view my Comcast mail in the Mail app.

I've learned that the only way to get consistent mail notifications that remain in the both the Action Center and Mail Live Tile (until you open the Mail App) is to have the Mail app running and minimized to the taskbar. Don't close the Mail app. Just
    keep it running and minimized to the taskbar. I think you'll find that you will start to see notifications if you take that approach.

I definitely think this is a design flaw in the Mail app or the Windows 10 Desktop OS. On my Windows 10 Phone, I don't have this problem. The mail notifications work much more consistently, even when the Mail app is closed.

DeanLupari, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Mail App Not Listed in Background Apps

No - adding a Live Tile doesn't give consistent notifications or live tile updates. If you add a live tile for mail, but don't keep the mail app open and minimized to taskbar, the live tile will sometimes show new mail, but then it will reset itself and
    not show new mail. However, I've found that if you keep the mail app open and minimized to the taskbar, you will get consistent email banner notifications AND the live tile stays current.

DeanLupari, Nov 14, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  5. tomseys Win User
    Thanks Brink I'll check that out.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  6. tomseys Win User
    One thing I did not do is to turn on mail in background apps because it is not listed there.
    Is there anyway to force it to get listed? Thanks.

I do have calendar there and I keep that "on" since it seems they work together but no Mail app is listed.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, the Mail app keeps being added and restore to Background Apps as a separate app per build lately. The Calendar is indeed part of the Mail app, so hopefully it includes both.

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  8. tomseys Win User

Okay, i noticed in my friends pc that he has Mail listed in his background apps.
    I decided to uninstall Mail and Calendar through powershell and then reinstall to see if that would help. How do you get it back?

Windows update would not give it to me nor would going to store and checking for app updates.

Do I update manually looking for the app?

Okay, duh, i see that's how you do it. I'll see if this helps, at least put mail in background.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  9. tomseys Win User
    Okay i reinstalled mail and calendar through the store and now mail is showing in my background apps. I set it to on and it is working.

Mail is not showing though in System turn on notifications but I'll keep an eye out for it.. maybe there is a delay?

Edit: It has now appeared in system and it is on and it seems to be working good.

Thank you!

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  10. tomseys Win User
    Actually, it's still not consistent. It gets one, doesn't get another. Strange.
    I'm using a local account btw.

Now I changed the default mail app to thunderbird and now Mail notifications is working consistently again.
    Strange.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's never consistent for me either.

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  12. tomseys Win User
    Maybe I'll just turn off the action center and just use my thunderbird for email notifications.

Question: Are you using a Microsoft based email address with notification center Brink?

I ask because I have a long standing problem with Thunderbird and my two MSN email accounts I use with it. I get duplicate emails. I've done all the fixes suggested for it and nothing works. I've heard from a few techs that they think the problem is the way Microsoft configures their servers (they call them "rubbish"). They say they don't have this issue with any other email provider and thunderbird.

I'm wondering if that is true, that there is some issue with the Microsoft servers, that maybe this is behind the notification area inconsistency problem. I remember in windows 8.1 it never worked consistently either for me, but I never really tried to get it to work like i am now with win 10.

But then again if people are also experiencing this notification problem with non Microsoft email addresses, then maybe the Thunderbird/microsoft issue I guess is a separate thing and not related.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Yeah, I use a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10 with.

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  14. tomseys Win User
    I currently use a local account but my two email addresses that I've always used are Microsoft email accounts.

I had been using a microsoft account to login to win 8.1 but when I read about privacy issues with win 10 it was recommended to use a local account so i switched to local when I installed Win 10 last week and I log in to apps individually with the Microsoft email.

Of course, the mail app connects to my live.com and outlook.com based microsoft email accounts.
    I wonder if the issue is Microsoft email given my longstanding problem with TB and microsoft email accounts.
    Maybe not.

Has anyone that uses a non microsoft email with the Mail app ever complained about this issue with notifications coming in inconsistently? I think I am going to test that and see if using AOL mail or Gmail (which i don't like) has this issue. See how it behaves on thunderbird and with the Mail app notifications.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I've been hearing the notifications for the Mail app are pretty inconsistent from both local and MS accounts, and for some no issues.

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently - Similar Threads - Making Mail notifications

2. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: My mail app in Windows 10 notifications suddenly does not work. For example, it does not notify me when I have new mail unless I open the mail app. Last time, the mail notifications will show up in my windows lock screen and also pop up in my banners. I have tried re-enable...
  3. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: My mail app in Windows 10 notifications suddenly does not work. For example, it does not notify me when I have new mail unless I open the mail app. Last time, the mail notifications will show up in my windows lock screen and also pop up in my banners. I have tried re-enable...
  4. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Mail Notifications for mails in folders not working

Windows Mail Notifications for mails in folders not working: Hello, I'm using Windows Mail and it's good app, but notifications only work for mails that came into inbox - no notifications at all for mails that were moved via filtering to folders. Is it a bug or bad settings? Thanks for answer. Michal Windows 10 v2004 Windows Mail...
  6. Windows mail notification not working

Windows mail notification not working: I have created my Microsoft account. then I signed into mail and it was successful. but when I get a mail I don`t get notifications. but when i open the app manually I get the notification. I tried every single thing and also browsed the internet but at the end it was all the...
  7. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: Hello, I've recently moved to the default mail app for windows 10. The notifications when the app is off were working at first but now it doesn't. I've tried every step on this topic, didn't work for me. Could anyone help?...
  8. Windows Mail Notifications

Windows Mail Notifications: Hi, I'm trying to use Windows 10 mail for my multiple email addresses however it seems that my gmail account doesn't get background notifications for emails although my outlook email does get background notifications. I've tried reregistering and reinstalling the mail app....
  9. Mail notifications: buttons not working

Mail notifications: buttons not working: Hi! When I click any of the "Set flag"/"Delete"/"Dismiss" buttons on a new email notification in the Action Center: instead of performing the action, the Mail app always opens, displaying the email. Thank you!...
  10. Hyperlinks not working consistently in Microsoft Mail

Hyperlinks not working consistently in Microsoft Mail: Hyperlinks do not work or contain links in the mail. When you receive an email and when you open regardless in outlook, Gmail or in yahoo itself you always see a blue line under the hyperlink. All you have to do is to move your mouse over and click on it and links open and...