Windows 10: Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently

Discus and support Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've been hearing the notifications for the Mail app are pretty inconsistent from both local and MS accounts, and for some no issues. I was thinking... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tomseys, Nov 14, 2015.

1. tomseys Win User

Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently

I was thinking more along the lines of microsoft email usage through the mail app versus non microsoft email (ex: gmail) through the mail app and its affect on the notification area issue as opposed to local account versus microsoft account login.

So lets say you have two computers and both are using local accounts, if one uses a microsoft email with the mail app and another uses a non microsoft email account with the mail app... will they both have this notification issue... I'm wondering if the issue is microsoft email

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm guessing it's to do with the app itself, but it'll be interesting to hear what others say they're experience is.

Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  3. tomseys Win User
    Yeah I would think it is the app.. but given my experience with TB and microsoft email and what i've heard some say, I wonder.

I'd love to hear someone say they don't use a microsoft email address with the mail app and use something else and still have the notification issue just to eliminate that idea,.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  4. tomseys Win User

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  5. Whats the screen resolution on your Laptop
    Quite a few with issues are on Laptops with 1366x768 resolution screens

I use the same sign on with a tablet and a laptop, the tablet which is x800 resolution works, the x768 laptop never did

Too early to tell if the latest update has fixed it for me, but the display size seemed common for some people posting

paulsalter, Nov 14, 2015
  6. tomseys Win User
    Yeah that's my resolution.

Since last night after reinstalling Mail and Calendar and then setting Mail app default to Thunderbird and restarting the laptop the action center email notifications have been working flawlessly. Of course this could be just more of the same in that it works for a day or so and then doesn't. I'll see how it goes.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  7. That's has been my experience
    you get them working and they are fine for a few days, then they break again

need to wait a few days after the new update to see what happens

paulsalter, Nov 14, 2015
  8. tomseys Win User

Well I've just had a couple of fails. Think I'm going to shut off mail and just use thunderbird for notifications for now. I'll keep an eye on threads like these and revisit Mail in the future to see if it has improved or if any fixes have been found.

One thing I have noticed is that if I change a mail related setting, whether toggling it back and forth or just changing it, it seems to make notifications work for a time. And then it stops.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  9. tomseys Win User
    Decided to give one more try. I did a few more things I haven't tried which is to clear the notification cache (which is something I have wanted to do), and I ran a troubleshooter which stated that my Store won't work right with UAC disabled (so enabled it) and I reset the Store cache. Of course, notifications is working again but that will probably not last, lol.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  10. tomseys Win User
    Thanks Brink - same behavior though. Seem like if I go into notifications and switch it off and then on again it works for a little while.
    Maybe restart does the same. I guess something is not sticking for some reason. Hopefully it gets sorted in near future.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 14, 2015
  12. tomseys Win User
    Thanks Brink. I sent some problem feedback regarding the Mail app and action center notifications and up voted some ones I saw.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  13. tomseys Win User

Btw my laptop model is:

HP-15 F018DX
    with Windows 10 Home Version 1511 Build 10586.3

I add that just in case this has something to do with the brand/model of laptops. There are for example some issues with some HP laptops and Windows 10 including intel management interface driver version 11.01 and synaptics touch pad version 19 causing some problems with shutdown and retaining synaptics settings.

I can say for sure that for me that a restart of the computer always makes action center email notifications start working again.

tomseys, Nov 14, 2015
  14. tomseys Win User
    Question: Why is "Settings" listed as a background app? Wouldn't settings just be set and that is it?

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015
  15. tomseys Win User
    I'm not 100% sure but I think one trigger to make mail notifications stop working is when I launch thunderbird to check mail. I have thunderbird set with both msn accounts as pop accounts so this way I can save and store emails in the programs. Seems after I check thunderbird for mail Windows mail notifications stop working. I have server setting set to delete emails after downloading them. I imagine that shouldn't affect Windows Mail since new emails will stay there until I download them in TB and I keep TB off most of the time.

In any case just to see if there is any impact I changed server settings in thunderbird to leave mail on the server for one day instead of immediately deleting after download. Now launching thunderbird does not stop notifications from working. Could be a coincidence though or maybe it is not the only trigger, only a few days or more of perfect working will tell...

I think i might also change the setting in MSN mail online to put emails in a pop folder instead of following TB instruction to delete them (in a day).

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Making Windows Mail notifications work consistently - Similar Threads - Making Mail notifications

2. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: My mail app in Windows 10 notifications suddenly does not work. For example, it does not notify me when I have new mail unless I open the mail app. Last time, the mail notifications will show up in my windows lock screen and also pop up in my banners. I have tried re-enable...
  3. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: My mail app in Windows 10 notifications suddenly does not work. For example, it does not notify me when I have new mail unless I open the mail app. Last time, the mail notifications will show up in my windows lock screen and also pop up in my banners. I have tried re-enable...
  4. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Mail Notifications for mails in folders not working

Windows Mail Notifications for mails in folders not working: Hello, I'm using Windows Mail and it's good app, but notifications only work for mails that came into inbox - no notifications at all for mails that were moved via filtering to folders. Is it a bug or bad settings? Thanks for answer. Michal Windows 10 v2004 Windows Mail...
  6. Windows mail notification not working

Windows mail notification not working: I have created my Microsoft account. then I signed into mail and it was successful. but when I get a mail I don`t get notifications. but when i open the app manually I get the notification. I tried every single thing and also browsed the internet but at the end it was all the...
  7. Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working

Windows 10 Mail Notifications Not Working: Hello, I've recently moved to the default mail app for windows 10. The notifications when the app is off were working at first but now it doesn't. I've tried every step on this topic, didn't work for me. Could anyone help?...
  8. Windows Mail Notifications

Windows Mail Notifications: Hi, I'm trying to use Windows 10 mail for my multiple email addresses however it seems that my gmail account doesn't get background notifications for emails although my outlook email does get background notifications. I've tried reregistering and reinstalling the mail app....
  9. Mail notifications: buttons not working

Mail notifications: buttons not working: Hi! When I click any of the "Set flag"/"Delete"/"Dismiss" buttons on a new email notification in the Action Center: instead of performing the action, the Mail app always opens, displaying the email. Thank you!...
  10. Hyperlinks not working consistently in Microsoft Mail

Hyperlinks not working consistently in Microsoft Mail: Hyperlinks do not work or contain links in the mail. When you receive an email and when you open regardless in outlook, Gmail or in yahoo itself you always see a blue line under the hyperlink. All you have to do is to move your mouse over and click on it and links open and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. manufacturer of adapter @gmail.com @msn.com @yahoo.com mail