Windows 10: media creation tool not showing usb prompts

Discus and support media creation tool not showing usb prompts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've plugged in a clean 32GB usb but the tool (MediaCreationTool1809.exe) doesn't show prompts for USB when I select that save option. Instead it stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DiBris, Dec 26, 2018.

1. DiBris Win User

media creation tool not showing usb prompts

I've plugged in a clean 32GB usb but the tool (MediaCreationTool1809.exe) doesn't show prompts for USB when I select that save option. Instead it stops on showing message that I need 8GB on c: drive. I know there's no space on c: that's why I want to save to usb.

:)

DiBris, Dec 26, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

3. Ztruker Win User
    Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Dec 26, 2018
  4. media creation tool not showing usb prompts

Media creation tool

Hi,

We would like to know more about this concern. Kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made on the computer prior to this concern?
    • Is this the first time that you encountered this problem?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • May we know the reason why you want to download Media Creation Tool?

Desiree Yau, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

media creation tool not showing usb prompts

1. media creation tool not showing usb prompts - Similar Threads - media creation tool

2. Media Creation Tool USB won't boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool USB won't boot: USB created with MediaCreationTool22H2 for W10 won't boot on a New Ryzen 7950X ASUS X670E. I had to use rufus and create a bootable USB from a 22H2 ISO. Pretty sad MS when you can't get your own creation tool to work......
  3. Media Creation Tool USB won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool USB won't boot: USB created with MediaCreationTool22H2 for W10 won't boot on a New Ryzen 7950X ASUS X670E. I had to use rufus and create a bootable USB from a 22H2 ISO. Pretty sad MS when you can't get your own creation tool to work......
  4. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type: I am trying to download Windows 10 to a USB Flash drive that has 16GB to install into another computer. When I run the Media Creation Tool, I get to the screen that allows me to select the Language, Architecture and Edition, I uncheck the box for Use the Recommended options...
  5. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type: I am trying to download Windows 10 to a USB Flash drive that has 16GB to install into another computer. When I run the Media Creation Tool, I get to the screen that allows me to select the Language, Architecture and Edition, I uncheck the box for Use the Recommended options...
  6. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

7. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  8. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  9. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

10. Media Creation Tool USB install - corrupt

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media Creation Tool USB install - corrupt: Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a new pc build. I'm not a regular Windows user but I have already done quite a few installations with CDs and DVDs on physical and virtual computers. The issue I'm currently facing is that both burning and reading DVDs is not an option...