Windows 10: Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview?

Discus and support Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I'm just playing with 32-bit Windows 10 in Oracle VirtualBox. I can't find the Metro version of IE - has it gone? (It was never something I liked... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by DavidY, Oct 2, 2014.

1. DavidY Win User

Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview?

I'm just playing with 32-bit Windows 10 in Oracle VirtualBox.

I can't find the Metro version of IE - has it gone?

(It was never something I liked in Windows 8, but I can imagine it would be useful for folks using tablets and touchscreens.)

:)

DavidY, Oct 2, 2014
  2. gvsw Win User

Pinned sites on Start Screen lost during upgrade

No. Sorry, this does not help.

In Windows 8, the pinned tiles are from the Metro (Modern, whatever) version of IE. The "Import Favorites from IE" in Edge, imports only from the Windows 8 Desktop version of IE, which is completely separate from the Metro version of IE.

It appears that anything having to do with the Metro version of IE has been ignored in the upgrade..

gvsw, Oct 2, 2014
  3. Jetta48 Win User
    How to find out the version of Internet Explorer that you are using

Hi

Please confirm that:

• You are using Internet Explorer and not another browser such as the new Edge browser in Windows 10.
    • If you are using Windows 8/8.1/RT/RT8.1 that you open IE desktop not
      IE modern/metro.

Jetta48, Oct 2, 2014
  4. LittleJay Win User

LittleJay, Oct 2, 2014
  5. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Oct 2, 2014
  6. brummyfan Win User
    Yes, I am also trying to find it but can not locate it.

brummyfan, Oct 2, 2014
  7. There was an option in Win8 to always use the desktop IE -

Internet Options - Programs - first option(s)

The tile points to the desktop IE and I haven't found the shortcut to the immersive IE on Win10
    ... it would be in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    or defined in the desktop.ini

I never did quite figure out the start menu associations on Win8
    Try searching for

Slartybart, Oct 2, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I'm cloning a W10 system at the moment so I can't test if this method works - but I did THIS to get the associations of the Metro apps in W8.1 (so I could pin to desktop in W8.1 !! and run without switching away from the desktop). :

From CMD Mode run this command :

explorer shell:Appsfolder

Then from the Window press F10 or choose View ==>choose details and click the 3 boxes Name, Long Display name, AppuserModelID

now choose display DETAILS in the file explorer and you'll see the extra columns including the APPuserModelID

Now if you want to create say a short cut :
    you simply right mouse click on your desktop and create shortcut =>new

type in the script - for example the Sports application

explorer shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.BingSports_8wekyb3d8bbwe!AppexSports

You'll have to design your own icon - I think the old version of iconfx was free. cut and paste an image then create an ico file.

Note - the above worked on W8.1 - I HAVEN'T tested on W10 yet.

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The nearest you can get to Metro IE is to check the FULL SCREEN box in VIEW (F11) but there isn't a "Classic" Metro IE that works in re-sizeable windows -- when you leave full screen it just reverts back to standard.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  10. Jazz Win User
  11. hb860 Win User
    I made the simple app to launch the Modern IE in Windows 10.

Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview? [​IMG]

It allows you to launch the modern version of Internet Explorer in Windows 10 *Smile
    See here

hb860, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Metro/Modern version of IE - is it in W10 tech preview? - Similar Threads - Metro Modern version

2. W10 suddenly switched back to metro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 suddenly switched back to metro: So I installed a program called classic shell because I couldn't stand the new metro. I originally started using this program with W8. I haven't had any issues until now. All of a sudden, after logging it, it switched back to metro. I can't get rid of it. My classic shell...
  3. W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 Tech Preview upgraded to full version. Huh? Is that expected?: Hi, This is more curiosity that anything - I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth... I had two installations of the tech preview: One on an ex-XP Dell laptop for my father to play around with, and one in a VM. About 5 days ago my dad reported that it had "done...
  4. Remove all modern metro apps

Remove all modern metro apps: Howdy, I use this PowerShell command to remove all modern metro apps from all user accounts: Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage However, it does not remove some apps and I have to remove them manually using: Remove-AppxPackage...
  5. Metro/Modern apps still ridiculously slow in Win10

Metro/Modern apps still ridiculously slow in Win10: I had this same problem in Windows 8.1 and was really hoping they'd get it worked out by now. Any Metro app- windows store, mail, netflix, anything- takes ages to open or do anything that accesses the web. In some cases, Mail takes longer to open than Adobe Premiere Pro...
  6. storage location for modern/metro apps

storage location for modern/metro apps: where is the folder in which they are installed by default? what is the folder called? 9488
  7. Modern IE Launcher

Modern IE Launcher: I made the simple app to launch the Modern IE in Windows 10. it ou allows you to launch the modern version of Internet Explorer in Windows 10 which is disabled in Technical Preview of Windows 10 by default. Unzip and run the ModernIE.exe file to launch the touch friendly...
  8. Is Windows 10 tech preview as updted as Win10 official version?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 10 tech preview as updted as Win10 official version?: I currently am dual-booting windows 8 and windows 10 tech preview and of course I've been offered a free upgrade to windows 10 on my windows 8 partition (And I prefer windows 8 because I had crashing problems with some games in 10 TP). I was wondering, are they (Win 10 TP...
  9. Modern UI 2.0, Tech Preview to be updated frequently

in Windows 10 News
    Modern UI 2.0, Tech Preview to be updated frequently: Windows 9 news recap: Modern UI 2.0, Tech Preview to be updated frequently, and more It's been a busy week here at WinBeta with lots and lots of Windows Threshold news breaking ground. We learned about an updated Modern UI, a new rapid release cycle for the preview, when the...
  10. Goodbye, Metro, Modern and Universal; hello, Windows apps

in Windows 10 News
    Goodbye, Metro, Modern and Universal; hello, Windows apps: When Windows 8 entered beta and Microsoft showed off its new apps and design style, they called it Metro. But after some legal headaches, the company stopped referring to them as 'Metro' apps and went with 'Modern' apps instead. The Modern app name has slowly transitioned...