Windows 10: Microsoft apps cannot connect to the internet

Discus and support Microsoft apps cannot connect to the internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Microsoft Edge, Windows Store, and Cortana, as well as most Microsoft apps, cannot connect to the internet. When I try to open the Windows Store it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by phfactor, Feb 16, 2018.

1. phfactor Win User

Microsoft apps cannot connect to the internet

Microsoft Edge, Windows Store, and Cortana, as well as most Microsoft apps, cannot connect to the internet.

When I try to open the Windows Store it will not open and I get an Error message, 0x80072EE7.

When I try to use Edge I get an error message that says, “This website could not be found.
    Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND.

It seems that the Microsoft apps that require the internet will not open: Weather, Skype, Solitaire Collection, Xbox, Movies & TV, OneNote, etc.

I also am unable to sign into my Microsoft Account from my computer (only a Local Account).

When I click on the Windows button and select My Account (button with my picture) it takes me to “Settings” where it indicates that I am signed into a Local Account. When I click on the link that says, “Sign into Microsoft Account instead” I get an error message that says, “Something went wrong.”

There is nothing wrong with my Internet connection. When using Google Chrome I can surf the Internet normally.

I have a notebook computer signed into my same Microsoft Account and it works normally.

I have the most recent edition of Windows 10 with all updates current.

I have scoured the Internet (using Google Chrome) and tried every solution offered by MS agents and users but nothing has worked.

It seems to me that there is something that is prohibiting my Microsoft apps from communicating with the Internet.

:)

phfactor, Feb 16, 2018

2. Apps cannot connect to the Microsoft Notification Services.

Hello AlkjetTech,

Have you checked how many applications you already get notifications for? At the moment there is a 15 application cap. If you have more, you will get that error message, since the applications take all the free channels available. Please let me know if this
    was helpful.

Thanks for posting!

Patrizia R., Feb 16, 2018
  3. Apps cannot connect to the Microsoft Notification Services.

I have several apps that for some reason now cannot connect to the Microsoft Notification Services. Its not an issue with channels. Since I don"t get the no channel available message. These apps have a channel available and attempt to connect but cannot.
    I am using a HTC Trophy on Verizon.

AlkJetTech, Feb 16, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

This kind of thing apparently happens sometimes, frequently enough that this thread on answers.microsoft.com elicited 168 responses: Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10). If none of this helps (I'd try the repairs first, then an upgrade install next, if I were you), come on back and we'll help you get it sorted out.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 16, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, all the above is good advice.
    Basic question: when did all these symptoms start occurring? Have they slowly built up over a period? Have they suddenly started happening? Have they started happening after some event?

What is your Windows build? (Windows key + R, winver)

Start before attempting repairs by doing the following basic checks:
    Test your disk: e.g. download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.

If ok then from an admin command prompt run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    and report the result. If OK then
    sfc /scannow
    and report the result.

If there are disk problems there's little point in attempting Windows repairs.

- could you list what you've tried to save anyone here repeating that? Thanks.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  6. phfactor Win User
    I have spent the past two days trying every solution listed in the various forums.

phfactor, Feb 16, 2018
  7. phfactor Win User
    Thank you Ed. Yes, there are numerous posts regarding this issue and Microsoft does not seem to have any answers. I have tried your suggestions with no luck, except, I have not attempted a system refresh. That would be a last resort.

phfactor, Feb 16, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

To eliminate one other possibility, try creating a new user account for test purposes to check if this is user account corruption. If you experience the same symptoms, then continue. If not, post back.

Given that your disk is sound and the range of symptoms, I would suggest you head straight for an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings as Ed mentioned.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Tutorials

I guess you're not using disk imaging routinely as we recommend (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) ) - so you could quickly and easily restore your system to a previous working state from a previously created disk image. Many advantages.

I'm also going to guess that although this has happened recently, using a system restore point would be inadequate- although you are welcome to try that, assuming you enabled system restore (it's off by default).

I do have a remaining concern about issues you mention about your account.

dalchina, Feb 16, 2018
  9. phfactor Win User
    Thanks for the tip on Macrium Reflect, I have already downloaded it. It looks like an in-place upgrade repair - install is the best option. I received an update from Microsoft this afternoon and afterwards I was able to log into my MS account. Coincidence? I appreciate the help!

phfactor, Feb 16, 2018
  10. phfactor Win User
    Just completed the " in-place upgrade repair install" and the operation was a success! Thank you so much dalchina and Ed, I REALLY appreciate the help!!!

phfactor, Feb 17, 2018
  11. dalchina New Member
    Good news. Consolidate your position with a Windows disk image...before....

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  12. phfactor Win User
    The good news was short-lived. I have a constant blue, flashing and spinning curser. Doesn't affect performance but what an aggravation! Any ideas?

phfactor, Feb 17, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

Basics:
    a. what do you see if you create a new user for test purposes and log in as that user?
    b. what happens in Safe Mode?
    c. what happens after a clean boot?

I.e. process of elimination - maybe.
    I've never heard of such a thing..

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
  14. phfactor Win User
    Found the problem, I updated my drivers this morning and the issue went away!

phfactor, Feb 17, 2018
  15. dalchina New Member
    Great. You'll find, having done the in-place upgrade there'll be one very large update, and then probably a couple of small ones.

dalchina, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft apps cannot connect to the internet - Similar Threads - Microsoft apps cannot

2. Microsoft Apps Not Connecting to Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Apps Not Connecting to Internet: All of my Microsoft apps Outlook, Get Help, Feedback Hub, Microsoft Store cannot connect to the internet. I think this may be an issue with my firewall, but I tried turning off my firewall and this didn't fix it....
  3. Microsoft Apps Not Connecting to Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Apps Not Connecting to Internet: All of my Microsoft apps Outlook, Get Help, Feedback Hub, Microsoft Store cannot connect to the internet. I think this may be an issue with my firewall, but I tried turning off my firewall and this didn't fix it....
  4. No Microsoft Apps are connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Microsoft Apps are connecting to the Internet: All Microsoft Apps on my computer are unable to connect to the internet. This includes: Microsoft Store, Office apps Word, Ppt, Excel, Outlook, Xbox App, Get Help, Smart Scan, and more. Internet Explorer also cannot connect to the internet, but Edge can, which I am assuming...
  5. No Microsoft Apps are connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Microsoft Apps are connecting to the Internet: All Microsoft Apps on my computer are unable to connect to the internet. This includes: Microsoft Store, Office apps Word, Ppt, Excel, Outlook, Xbox App, Get Help, Smart Scan, and more. Internet Explorer also cannot connect to the internet, but Edge can, which I am assuming...
  6. No Microsoft Apps are connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Internet works but apps cannot connect to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet works but apps cannot connect to it: After leaving my computer for the last week I came back and now none of my apps can connect to the internet except for google chrome. My internet is perfect, I've tried to check a ton of different things but nothing works. My guess is the security update that was installed...
  8. apps cannot connect to the internet

apps cannot connect to the internet: apps cannot connect to the internet https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/apps-cannot-connect-to-the-internet/8a2ba37e-5d4d-475c-88aa-cf4b92be732d
  9. internet connected but apps cannot connect

internet connected but apps cannot connect: It started 3 days ago when I turned on my computer, everything seemed to be functioning properly, however once it got to starting programs like steam, origin, epic games launcher, and discord, they would all give me the same response. They all failed to go online, I began to...
  10. Cannot connect to internet apps

Cannot connect to internet apps: Hi all, for the past 36 hours I have been having problems connecting to the internet via several apps. This includes Windows Update & uTorrent. Also. I can connect to my work e-mail account via 365 in a browser, but the 'Outlook' app on my desktop won't sync, although it...