Windows 10: Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs

Discus and support Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; According to Microsoft, Windows Defender has a 50% (active) share on Windows. Windows Defender’s increasing trust and popularity is an important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Aug 11, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs

According to Microsoft, Windows Defender has a 50% (active) share on Windows. Windows Defender’s increasing trust and popularity is an important achievement for Microsoft, especially because many people have been trained to believe that Windows Defender alone isn’t enough.

While Windows Defender is built right into Windows and it’s enabled by default, many users disable it or switch to third-party solutions. Windows Defender itself improved a lot lately, especially after the launch of Windows 10 and regular security patches.

AV-TEST recently awarded Microsoft’s Defender its top score in independent antivirus tests. The performance of Windows Defender is now matching premium antivirus products, according to latest tests.

It’s also important to note that Windows Defender is free and other top-rated antivirus solutions require a paid subscription for full functionality.

Microsoft says Windows Defender is actively running on more than half a billion Windows PCs and users have enabled it as their primary antivirus program.

“We’ve predicted this is going to happen, and this is why we invested in this before it happened,” the company stated.

In the last few years, antivirus or security software has become more important given the security risks. More recently, Microsoft started rebranding Windows Defender to Microsoft Defender on Windows 10 and the antivirus solution was also launched on Apple Mac.

The post Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Aug 11, 2019
  2. malware Win User

Windows Defender Released

Microsoft has released the final version of its Windows Defender anti-spyware utility. Windows Defender is a product of the Microsoft acquisition of GIANT Software. Previously known as Windows AntiSpyware, after a two years beta period it's now available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 under the name Windows Defender. Windows Defender incorporates Real-Time Protection to monitor systems for spyware activity, automated spyware removal with scheduled scans, full integration with Internet Explorer 7.0 and automatic spyware definition updates from Microsoft. Windows Defender is available freely to all customers running a genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft has also announced that customers will each be allowed to report two support incidents for free with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Aug 11, 2019
  3. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Aug 11, 2019
  4. Le Boule Win User

real time protection in window defender

The behavior you are describing may occur if there are remnants of a third party antivirus program installed.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

Have you tried running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a restart of the computer? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in this thread: Windows Defender

If the issue continues recommend you follow the steps suggested in
    Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Aug 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft Defender protecting more than half of Windows PCs - Similar Threads - Microsoft Defender protecting

2. How can I access a Bitlocker protected USB drive more than once on any of my PCs? This used...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I access a Bitlocker protected USB drive more than once on any of my PCs? This used...: I accessed the data on a Bitlocker protected USB memory stick on Saturday on my PC Win 8.1.I entered the unlock password and was presented with the list of files in Explorer.After working with some of the files, I ejected the USB memory stick and removed it from the PC.When I...
  3. How can I access a Bitlocker protected USB drive more than once on any of my PCs? This used...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I access a Bitlocker protected USB drive more than once on any of my PCs? This used...: I accessed the data on a Bitlocker protected USB memory stick on Saturday on my PC Win 8.1.I entered the unlock password and was presented with the list of files in Explorer.After working with some of the files, I ejected the USB memory stick and removed it from the PC.When I...
  4. How can I access a Bitlocker protected USB drive more than once on any of my PCs? This used...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    More than half my files on desktop disappeared randomly: I was using my PC and randomly, more than half of the items on my desktop is gone (shortcuts, files, etc.). The last app I used was Mediamonkey to listen to music. I re-added a few shortcuts and that they showed up. I did not update my PC and nothing changed to my knowledge....
  6. Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 using more than half of my RAM: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 version 2004 latest update at the time of writing. This is on 8GB RAM, yet Windows manages to use over half of that see screenshots I've done some googling but I couldn't find a recent answer or an answer I could find in different places....
  7. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Browser Protection: Is Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extension on Google Chrome legit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/microsoft-defender-browser-protection/42da1c45-18d1-4984-bad0-7c7902500cbf
  8. Microsoft Defender freezes half way through

Microsoft Defender freezes half way through: Eek. Twice now I have initiated a custom scan and it "froze" about half way through on the C: drive; the "files scanned" number got stuck so it was not ticking over even though I left it for a few minutes nothing else was running. An offline scan detected nothing, however...
  9. Is Malware-byte and windows defender enough to protect end-user PCs?

Is Malware-byte and windows defender enough to protect end-user PCs?: is Malware-byte and windows defender enough to protect end-user PCs? * Moved from Windows Live/Messenger * Original title: windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-malware-byte-and-windows-defender-enough-to/b76cc07d-41f6-4e5f-861e-a0ca487c2b23
  10. does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop

does this protection protect more than one computer/laptop: does this protection I received with my laptop protect other devices in my home' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-this-protection-protect-more-than-one/413d0261-997e-44e7-ab2d-3600e2098f6a