Windows 10: Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

Discus and support Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016.

1. MSRadell Win User

Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator

I only have one user account on my Windows 10x64 Pro machine and it has administrator privileges with UAC turned off and has been that way ever since it was installed. Now whenever I try to open Microsoft Edge I get a pop-up that says:
    "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. Login with a different account and try again." I haven't been able to get Edge to open since it started.

Also when I right click on my desk drop and try to change the display settings I get a pop-up that says:
    "Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again." But when I click okay the options for changing display settings open anyway.

:)

MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016

2. Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Since, the Built-in Administrator account does not have a split token and Metro apps cannot run under full administrator token and thus Metro apps cannot be activated with the Built-in Administrator account.

As you have created new user account you can make that account as administrator, then you can access all the apps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 2, 2016
  3. Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator

Unfortunately I never got this answer, however, it is the solution to the problem. I managed to discover it on my own. When setting up the Windows 10 on the computer, I renamed the built-in Administrator, not realizing this was going to be a problem down
    the road. By changing the name back to Administrator and making a new personal account with administrator privileges did the trick. I'm not sure why you answer never got through to me. Thanks for the help.

SandyPummer, Apr 2, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Why not heed the warning ?
    Use the built-in admin to create a user account with admin privileges > logon to the new admin account and stop using the Built-in Admin Account.

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  5. MSRadell Win User
    I'm not using the built-in administrator account! I'm using a regular user account that I created that has administrator privileges, not the same thing! I never said that I was using the built-in administrator account!I've also been using this exact same set up since I 1st installed Windows 10 and have never had this problem until 2 days ago!

MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Try doing a system restore. Pick 3 or 4 days ago as your restore point.

System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  7. MSRadell Win User
    While I could certainly do that I would really like to figure what is causing this problem in case it happens again. I can either do a system restore or if that doesn't work I can even use a complete system backup which I do on a regular basis. But 1st I like to figure out what's causing this problem.

MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  9. MSRadell Win User
    Been there done that. I use Malwarebytes regularly including this afternoon and use Norton Security all the time. Quite sure it's not a virus problem, I'm guessing it's something to do with a MS update of some kind which is why I would rather fix it instead of reverting.

MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    I have no more suggestions.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Apr 2, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    @MSRadell:

Does the name on the login screen, that you sign in with, coincide with the name of your user folder?

Edwin, Apr 2, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software? Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".
    This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors.
    It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

OldMike65, Apr 2, 2016
  13. MSRadell Win User

Yes it does and everything else works fine.

MSRadell, Apr 2, 2016
  14. LMiller7 Win User
    Modern Apps such as Edge do not work with an Admin account when UAC has been disabled. This is by design.
    Enable UAC and see if that solves the problem.

LMiller7, Apr 2, 2016
  15. MSRadell Win User
    I'm not sure how UAC got completely turned off, I had to go back into the security policies to reauthorize it.

MSRadell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in administrator - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge can't

2. Built-in administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Built-in administrator: Hi microsoft team , Recently an update failed to install on my hp laptop which has windows 10 home edition and now whenever I open any app it just shows THIS APP CAN"T OPEN Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in administrator account Please help me with this...
  3. Edge can't open using built-in Admin account

in Browsers and Email
    Edge can't open using built-in Admin account: Hello, My office updated to Win 10 about three months ago. One of my co-workers has discovered that she can't boot Edge. I've tried these potential fixes, but still no go. Fix #1: 1. >Win/R & type “secpol.msc” (no quotes); browse to: >Local Policies, >Security...
  4. Built in Administrator

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Built in Administrator: Help running Windows 10, and I am stuck in the Built in Administrator log-in. It started when I was tring to disable the log-in password for my account in Windows. I can not log-in to my user's account and do not see my profile. I have went the Users Account page in the...
  5. Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mail Can't be Opened using the Built-in Administration Account: I can't use any of the panes (calendar, weather, store, etc.) on Windows 10. I receive a message "this app can't open. Mail can't be opened using the built in administration account. How to resolve this issue quickly and reliably? 32598
  6. Can't open photos with built in administrator

Can't open photos with built in administrator: Okay as it implies I can't open photos, I did have this problem before on my other computers. Whenever I try to add a new account it takes me to setttings and when I hit the button to add another account I get a black windows box for half second and nothing happens. Should I...
  7. App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.

App can't be opened using the built-in administrator account.: [img] [img] I was getting UAC shields appearing on some of the icons. I found the solution how to get rid of them by going to the "Local Security Policy" > Local Policies > Security Options and disabling: User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode...
  8. Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings cant be opened using the Built-in Administrator account: When we received the acer we open a new outlook.com account. Never used it for any thing else. We apparently used the wrong password to many times and MS locked us out of the acct. They will not let us back in. We have the password to log into the computer and I used another...
  9. Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account: I installed Windows 10 from Windows 7, and now I can't open Settings using my account (which is an administrator account). I apparently have to use a different account, but I don't have one, and with no access to Settings, I can't make another account. I tried booting into...
  10. "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account."

in Windows 10 Support
    "...can't be opened using built-in Administrator account.": Hi all, Working on a Win10 touchscreen desktop for a friend who just got scammed by one those fake "call this number, your computer is infected" ads. She foolishly let somebody from Indian remote into her computer and install some fake "weather" software which just caused...