Windows 10: Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off

Discus and support Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a fairly detailed set of limits set up for my children with regards to screen time, app & game limits, and content restrictions. They are all... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ADSchneider, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off

I have a fairly detailed set of limits set up for my children with regards to screen time, app & game limits, and content restrictions. They are all working appropriately...except when the child turns them off! They simply log in and turn off the limits...and I get the following notifications via e-mail:

Child has turned off activity reporting. This means you’ll no longer be able to check on their activity history or receive weekly reports.

Child has control of this setting because of their age. If they want to turn it on, they’ll need to sign in toaccount.microsoft.com/family, find their name, select Manage permissions, then switch on activity reporting and history.

What they've actually turned off is everything. I can just turn it all on back on thankfully it doesn't need reconfiguring but obviously a child should not have access to modify the settings...only the designated adults.

Has anyone else ran into this?

:)

ADSchneider, Jan 31, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Family Settings - Manage for Child in Windows 10

UPDATE: Email from Microsoft.

Brink, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Anonimiss Win User
    Windows 10 Screen Time setting not working for my child

I had this exact problem and these are the steps I took to get the issue resolved:

• Navigate to family safety settings and remove the child from the family having issues.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with local account instead
    • Follow the steps to change to a local account. When completed, Login back to your account (admin account)
    • Go back to the family safety settings and add your child back to the family group.
    • Access your childs email address to accept the family invitation
    • Verify the child now shows properly in the family settings and that the screen times are still correct.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with microsoft account instead
    • Your family settings should now take affect.

I know this is pretty tedious, but like I said, it worked for me. If you are still having trouble, I suggest contacting support and they can help walk you through the steps to get it resolved.

Anonimiss, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off

Microsoft family features - child profile not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the family features are not working properly on the child account.

• When you say, “I removed the profile, and had him login again”, did you remove the account from the family or from the PC?

Regarding the app issue: Since you receive the message to look for an app from store while accessing the link to fix the child account issue. I suggest you to follow the steps to
    re-register the apps.

1. Press and hold the Windows key + X.
    2. Select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    3. Type the command and hit Enter on the keyboard: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Restart the PC.

In addition, you can also try removing the child account from family and adding it again to the family. Refer the article

Remove members from your family group and
    Add members to your family group.

Regarding the email address on the login page:
    Do you see verify option under accounts in settings?

If you are able to see the verify option under accounts in settings page, I suggest you to try verifying the account and check if that helps.

1. Go to Settings >
      Accounts > Your info.
    2. Under the Email address click on
      Verify.
    3. Enter the code, which will be sent to your
      email address or mobile number.
    4. Click on Next to verify the account.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off

1. Microsoft Family - Child can simply toggle settings Off - Similar Threads - Microsoft Family Child

2. Can not add childs account to family

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not add childs account to family: Hello,I already contacted support but was redirected here. I can not add my child's account to family. After giving adult consent I get an error message in my language saying "something is not working, the problem is on our end, not on yours". I tried different devices and...
  3. Can not add childs account to family

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not add childs account to family: Hello,I already contacted support but was redirected here. I can not add my child's account to family. After giving adult consent I get an error message in my language saying "something is not working, the problem is on our end, not on yours". I tried different devices and...
  4. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting: Hi,My 13 year child is able to switch off activity reporting. This seems like a bug, as I would have thought that children should not be able to do this....
  5. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting: Hi,My 13 year child is able to switch off activity reporting. This seems like a bug, as I would have thought that children should not be able to do this....
  6. Child turning off Microsoft Family activity reporting

7. Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group

Microsoft Family - teen child can leave the Family Group: I setup a Microsoft Family Group and added my kids as "Child" accounts. My 15 year old son has a link on his account to "Leave family group", and anytime he wants to avoid screen time limits or play Xbox games that are restricted to him, he just logs into his account on...
  8. Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family

Microsoft Family - Child can remove themselves from the family: I have setup Microsoft Family with my children added as child accounts. My children can login to their accounts at family.microsoft.com and simply click the link "Leave family group" and they are removed from the group and from any screen time limits etc. This seems like a...
  9. Microsoft Family Child Permissions

Microsoft Family Child Permissions: I want to block Google Hangouts which has an address of hangouts.google.com But my child needs access to Google Docs which has an address of google.com/drive My question is can I block certain sites in google.com but allow others? Thanks! Larry...
  10. Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member: How to: Turn On or Off Ask a Parent for Microsoft Family Child Member How to Turn On or Off Ask a Parent before buying stuff in Microsoft Store for Microsoft Family Child Member One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. limitations of microsoft child accounts