Windows 10: Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password

Discus and support Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Quick: Change your password again. Make sure it has a combination of capital letters, numbers and special characters. Wait, no. Instead, come up with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password

Source: What's the solution to the growing problem of passwords? You, says Microsoft | Stories

Brink, Dec 27, 2017
  2. roy111 Win User
    roy111, Dec 27, 2017
  3. How to eliminate the password requirement for the start-up, first with Cortana

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I am sorry to know that you are unable to remove password for Cortana.

Cortana works with a Microsoft Account, so if you remove the account, then it will not work.

Cortana & search:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Also, please get back to us with the detailed description of what exactly are you trying to do, so that we can assist you better.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Dec 27, 2017
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Eliminate passwords

The fact is, every time a computer connects to the internet it leaves the private home. Attackers today are as effective from thousands of miles away as if they were sitting right next to us. And since our OP is against passwords, their only user account
    must have Administrator permissions. As soon as that computer is hacked, not only does the attacker have unfettered access to the system, they can also use the computer to attack other systems. And all this will happen without the OP's knowledge.

Of course, password protection is no guarantee against attack. But it's one of the many layers that goes into hardening a computer against attack. And that's the idea ... put up as many roadblocks as you can in the hope of persuading an attacker to go away.

I personally would not counsel someone to remove password protection from their computer just as I would not counsel them to remove it from their network or their router or to prevent updates or to disable their malware protection. If it was only their own
    computer being put at risk, then as they say in America: "It's a free country." But it's not only the OP's computer that's at risk; it's every computer that the OP's computer can harm. That could include websites that I might need for my livelihood or that
    might infect my mother's computer.

BulldogXX, Dec 27, 2017
  5. Most people do not realize, that biometric data is also a password. In order to compare it, lets say to your fingerprint, you need something to compare it to. That stored data can be stolen, just like password databases/hashes are being stolen all the time. Good luck changing your "password" afterwards. Oh wait, you can not, you are stuck with the same fingerprint/eye/face for the rest of your life. I sure would miss my 100 characters long easily changeable passwords. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Dec 27, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    Kinda glitchy on Win+L...

Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password [​IMG]

Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password [​IMG]

(I think it works okay when signed out, though) *Redface

Edwin, Dec 27, 2017
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I have read that Windows Hello or something was hacked via a printed photograph.

eLPuSHeR, Dec 28, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Here's an article below about that. Scary bug.

Windows 10 security hack: Windows Hello spoofed by photo

*Arrow Enable Enhanced Anti-Spoofing for Windows Hello Face Authentification Security System Tutorials

Brink, Dec 28, 2017
  9. roy111 Win User
    Does this mean that the patch is not released for previous win 10 versions?

roy111, Dec 28, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    They didn't say, so I would assume not to be safe.

Brink, Dec 28, 2017
  11. roy111 Win User
    Quite scary indeed then*Zip

roy111, Dec 28, 2017
  12. dencal Win User
    To setup Windows Hello or Fingerprint Recognition on Surface Pro 4 you are prompted to choose either Pin or Password as backup.

dencal, Dec 28, 2017
  13. Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password

Why is there not a webcam that can make my computer a Windows Hello compatible device? To me to me looks like Microsoft is committed to selling new expensive computers. I think I will be sticking with my very secure passwords.

alkaufmann, Dec 28, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 28, 2017
  15. dencal Win User
    My understanding is the Camera must have "Intel RealSense" capability for facial recognition.
    Fingerprint recognition being via the keyboard.

dencal, Dec 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft: It's time to eliminate the password - Similar Threads - Microsoft eliminate password

2. How do eliminate the password in logon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do eliminate the password in logon: How can I eliminate the password during logon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-eliminate-the-password-in-logon/b2132cf7-a9bc-432c-9ebd-5a6881bcc273
  3. How do eliminate the password in logon

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do eliminate the password in logon: How can I eliminate the password during logon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-eliminate-the-password-in-logon/b2132cf7-a9bc-432c-9ebd-5a6881bcc273
  4. How do eliminate the password in logon

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. eliminate password in ver. 2004

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    eliminate password in ver. 2004: NETPLWIZ.EXE doesn't work in ver. 2004 to eliminate password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/eliminate-password-in-ver-2004/afd6bc95-ec0a-4586-a7af-31026c29807d
  6. Eliminate Sign-On Password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Eliminate Sign-On Password: I am the only person to use my Windows 10 desktop. I would like to eliminate the password request that comes up every time I restart. Thanks, cb 78001
  7. Eliminating use of password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Eliminating use of password: Can I get rid of having to use a password to sign in to Windows 10? 52012
  8. Password Elimination

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Password Elimination: Operating a wired Ethernet LAN that connects this Windows-10 computer with other Windows-8.1, Windows-7 and Linux computers, I am constantly frustrated by demands for user IDs and passwords when attempting to access one machine from another. Such security on a local wired...
  9. Eliminate use of password

in Windows 10 Support
    Eliminate use of password: I've got Win installed with one minor problem. I don't like to use the password when I start Windows. So I did what is generally done. I got the Run box and typed in netplwiz which has always worked or me. Now it works when it makes up its mind to. Sometimes it't fine while...
  10. Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rebuild and eliminate dual boot at same time: I have a computer that is a few years old and in need of a rebuild, by which I mean reformat the disk and reinstall everything. The issue is that this computer is currently a dual boot arrangement with Windows 7 first then Windows 10, Creators Upgrade. I want the end...