Windows 10: Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU.

Discus and support Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU. in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Why does Microsoft do this? It's guaranteed without fail at some point that Windows Update will download and install what it thinks is the best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Runnerbean, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU.

Why does Microsoft do this? It's guaranteed without fail at some point that Windows Update will download and install what it thinks is the best suitable Driver over the top of my chosen Driver that I downloaded from AMDs website along with the Radeon Relive software. This in turn can disable the Radeon Relive control panel where all your fan settings are e.t.c.

Somebody on the AMD official forum said that you can't delete the Driver that MS downloads and to simply re-install my own one. However, Windows Update will know what I've done and begin the process all over again within the next day or two.

The only way to stop it is to totally disable WU and BITS in 'Services'. But of course, I'll miss out on all the other security updates. Cumulative updates are no problem because those can be done manually by downloading from the catalogue.

What do you guys do? Does this happen to Nvidia owners too?

:)

Runnerbean, Oct 31, 2017
  2. kjl1956 Win User

how should i remove compatibility mode ?

Graphics card or chip is running in compatibility mode for older operating system.

Try to update the gpu drivers, intel, amd or nvidia.

Also check device manager for display adapters and if microsoft basic drivers are installed.

Two ways to update the driver(s), device manager, or install from the device makers software.

If you have more than one gpu, on the cpu, chip, or card you may have to update all.

On a laptop usually the cpu and maybe a dedicated chip.

Most intel cpus have a built in gpu, amd may have on on the cpu die most a series chips do,

nvidia are mostly chips on the motherboard.

If the gpu's did not get migrated ( carried over to 1607) could be the cause if the OS decided to

leave the basic driver.

Compatibility mode gets turned on by win10 if it does not like how hardware or software runs or

tries to utilize hardware, unless you check the programs exe settings after it runs or fails to run.

kjl1956, Oct 31, 2017
  3. darijanz Win User
    After upgrading to win10 I can't see display borders anymore

I resolved the issue. It was a graphics card issue, I had to install the latest driver for my amd gpu and then go into AMD Cataylst settings and adjust something called OVERSCAN - that fixed it.

darijanz, Oct 31, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU.

dalchina, Oct 31, 2017
  5. Thank you for the links.

Runnerbean, Nov 1, 2017
  6. FerchogtX Win User
    I discovered that reverting back to your previous driver (using that exact option) and when it asks why, you choose the part that says it doesn't work on your system or something similar... that causes WU to "blacklist" the driver and it's never installed again. I did that when I went for a fresh install on CU, I could install my drivers from AMDand I have never been bugged with that ever again.

Worths a try...

FerchogtX, Nov 1, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Don't let windows automatically install drivers.

AddRAM, Nov 1, 2017
  8. Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU.

But surely that is only a temporary solution until MS download a newer WHQL Driver?

Runnerbean, Nov 1, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    My general understanding is that MS keeps or accesses a database of which drivers to deliver in particular circumstances.

If there is an error in that database, that might account for what you are seeing.

Another approach might be to find a way of blocking that particular program, either by a whitelisting tool or perhaps a firewall (Zone Alarm used to be able to do that years ago I seem to recall), or you could perhaps craft a suitable script using e.g. Autohotkey.

dalchina, Nov 1, 2017
  10. FerchogtX Win User
    FerchogtX, Nov 1, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    That's covered by the tutorial in #2 - thanks anyway.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU.

1. Microsoft Keep Installing An AMD Driver Over My GPU. - Similar Threads - Microsoft Keep Installing

2. AMD GPU Drivers

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    AMD GPU Drivers: So I may be able to get a new GPU. Currently looking at a 3090,6900xt or a 3080Ti. I know they really are overkill for 1440p 165hz gaming but, as it's going to be a while before I could potentially upgrade my GPU again I want something that will last a few years...
  3. Windows Update keeps reinstalling drivers for my integrated AMD GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update keeps reinstalling drivers for my integrated AMD GPU: Hi,I've recently bought a Lenovo Legion 7 laptop with AMD Ryzen 5800H processor with integrated AMD graphics and dedicated Nvidia 3070 laptop GPU.My issue is that no matter what I do, drivers for integrated AMD graphics are being reinstalled by Windows Update:First thing I...
  4. Windows Update keeps reinstalling drivers for my integrated AMD GPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update keeps reinstalling drivers for my integrated AMD GPU: Hi,I've recently bought a Lenovo Legion 7 laptop with AMD Ryzen 5800H processor with integrated AMD graphics and dedicated Nvidia 3070 laptop GPU.My issue is that no matter what I do, drivers for integrated AMD graphics are being reinstalled by Windows Update:First thing I...
  5. Windows Update keeps reinstalling drivers for my integrated AMD GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. GPU driver crashes AMD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU driver crashes AMD.: Hello,I have a problem when I play League Of Legends, the game crashes and I have an error "windows has restarted your gpu driver due to a problem", when I check the events viewer there's an warning, event id 4101, source : display that says : "Le pilote d’affichage amdkmdag...
  7. AMD GPU Driver Crashing

AMD GPU Driver Crashing: Quick disclaimer, I'm not that knowledgeable about computers so the easier the explanation the better. GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XTMy original issue was that after 30 minutes or so of running a game or program I hadn't tested this out with just the PC running w/o any program my...
  8. Why you guys force installing my AMD gpu drivers??

Why you guys force installing my AMD gpu drivers??: There are 30 days in a month and 24 hours a day... since I have uninstalled and reinstall my AMD drivers every Week, What Sins I have done for this..? . I'm really annoyed by your update guys .. Peacefully Concentrating on my job .... suddenly, the notification you need to...
  9. Blue Screen whilst installing AMD GPU drivers

Blue Screen whilst installing AMD GPU drivers: So i was installing my AMD GPU drivers as the ones windows had in its updates aren't supported by certain games (it's a new pc so windows did all its updates and installed the wrong AMD Driver). I uninstalled those drivers and whilst installing the new ones it blue screens...
  10. Windows Update for amd gpu driver ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update for amd gpu driver ?: I have an amd 7970 top edition card.. I use the amd radeon settings for driver updates.. The settings say I have driver 18.8.1 installed and that there is a new driver 18.5.1 recommended to install, plus an optional 18.8.2.. I have windows update open and it says that there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does amd keep on installing amd audio drivers