Windows 10: Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Discus and support Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If I then try to use the 'Create Recovery Drive' tool in Control Panel, I'm assuming there's nothing there to copy. Can I put the .wim image off of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 21, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

You might be better off asking these questions in a specific thread for recovery drives, or the tutorial for creating a recovery drive, rather than in a 'Windows 10 News' thread.

However my experience is:
    • the Create Recovery Drive process is different in Windows 10. Even with no OEM partition, it can create a USB that will reinstall Windows for you on a "bare-metal" drive, if you select the option to include system files when you create it.
    • Perhaps because of this complexity, the process to Create a Recovery Drive is flaky and doesn't always work if you use the aforementioned option to include system files. Also, even on the same machine, you can run it twice and one attempt will work but the other might not.
    • If you have a fresh setup, and if you're lucky enough to have a computer which will create a Recovery Drive, you can generate a 'provisioning package' to capture your installed software, like an OEM would, so the Recovery process reinstalls your software (plugging my own tutorial *Wink )

But I would give it a go - if you're lucky it might just work and you wouldn't need to worry about manually copying WIMs etc.

DavidY, Aug 25, 2015
  2. mrgeek Win User

I created the recovery drive and it test booted fine. I'll look over your tutorial which seems to take care of the problem of re-installing programs. I always back up files every couple days so the combo of the three tools should take care of any disaster scenario, I hope. *Think

mrgeek, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Atomic77 Win User
    HP is a good company my ENVY is a decent computer. as for windows 8.1 it probably won't be killed off but just like vista it may eventually be lost or compleatly forgotten. 10 is whats hot right now and I expect it will get even hotter.

Atomic77, Nov 15, 2015
  4. gator2013 Win User

I will ride 8.1 as long as possible. I tried W-10 for a full 30 days and saw enough to make me want to go back to 8.1. I used to think I would try W-10 again while it's still free and many of the kinks were worked but after seeing the direction MS is going NO Way! With W-10 MS will eventually take control of every aspect of the device. This is just the beginning.

gator2013, Nov 15, 2015
  5. tomseys Win User
    I think Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell is a fine operating system. I also like Windows 10 though i initially feared installing it for some months because of privacy concerns and because of how aggressive M was pushing it in notifications. I finally relented on a 2GB netbook I have and upgraded it since I figure I should be familiar with Win 10 in case I have to help family with it. That worked out well. Now I've put it on a couple of laptops. I find that the start menu in Win 10 is customizable enough that I don't need Classic Shell. And Win 10 feels a little smoother overall. It's still a little disjointed with a Settings menu and a Control Panel and it has some other issues but overall I'm OK with the switch so far.

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Truly nice write-up *Thumbs

As to the highlighted assertion, there are the Home, Professional, and Enterprise versions of Windows/Programs/apps. What is lacking?

FrozenCursor, Nov 15, 2015
  7. Dean73 Win User
    I don't think it's a great idea *Sad

Firstly you've got Microsoft right behind your back doing upgrades to Windows 10 without first asking the user. Plain ridiculous right? and secondly they are killing 8 & 8.1 for what? Just to force users to a different OS that they don't want.

We're all screwed anyway once 7 and 8.1 go Kaboom!!!

Dean73, Nov 15, 2015
  8. pparks1 Win User

Microsoft wants people on a consistent platform across all devices. its easier to support this way. Provides more of the "it just works" mojo that Apple has had for a long time.

Forced updates are arguably better than out of date systems with known and fixed security vulnerabilities that are still being exploited.

pparks1, Nov 15, 2015
  9. tomseys Win User
    As long as you can block certain problematic driver updates or other updates which also cause problems and vulnerabilities just like outdated ones can then I don't mind about the updates.

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015
  10. I thought that there was no way to block any updates , problematic or not, on Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro computers. Windows 10 Enterprise can only delay updates, but not indefinitely.

11. tomseys Win User
    You can block (hide) updates with the wushowhide tool. You can also disable updates or block drivers from being installed in advance settings/hardware.

tomseys, Nov 15, 2015
  12. unifex Win User
    I am very consistent - I have Windows 7 on all my machines except for one test PC where I'm playing with W10 out of curiosity.

Now, my phone is Android and my tablets are the iPad and Kindle. Does anyone really think that I will suddenly go buying new hardware just because they have some kind of vision? Why should I have Windows on my phone? Even if it works, I already have a phone and it works, so why would I change? To have it look the same? I certainly don't want the phone and PC to look the same, why would I? Why can't my kids use their iPad?

Now, so far I'm not at all impressed by W10. Today I have downloaded an ISO of the new version (1511), will install it when I have the time. Hopefully it's better than the previous version, but I doubt they have changed much. I certainly do not want those forced updates. I just hate it when the machine does something on its own without me initiating it. So unless I can set up some kind of schedule or manually choose when to install which update, there is no way this OS will be installed on my work machines. Seriously, suppose I'm teaching a class using my laptop and it suddenly decides to update itself? I won't entertain a 0.001% probability of that happening.

unifex, Nov 15, 2015
  13. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP

Any Microsoft URL that I can look at?

14. tomseys Win User
  15. Leopard Win User
    In reference to the statement made by HP (the first post in this thread): flushing W8 would help W10 and sell more PCs. HP and MS are 'partners' in the promotion and delivery of W10, according to both CEOs, so as HP had made this statement to the media, it is logical to conclude that it was discussed and possibly given credence. Why go public with the subject if it were not on the table? Partners work as a team to achieve a common goal - unless one of them gets antsy and goes rogue. MS has plans to kill the PC ,so stated Nadella when he talked about his plans for Cortana - so here we have the senior 'partner' planning the demise of HP's core business. Guess HP strongly believes that Cortana will take decades to achieve world dominance - or they believe it will never happen. This 'partnership' is a strange one.

Leopard, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft Needs to Kill Windows 8 to Make Windows 10 a Hit, Says HP - Similar Threads - Microsoft Needs Kill

2. Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer on Windows 10: Microsoft has already confirmed it will kill off defunct web browsers in the coming months and additional details are finally available. According to updated support documentation, Internet Explorer is set to stop working next year and the browser will be retired on June 15,...
  3. Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Saying continue to windows 10 When i hit restart: Hey so my pc mouse was acting up so I'm like lemme restart my pc then when I restart it shows me this screen saying continue to windows 10 or troubleshoot and I had no problem with my pc I only restarted it since my mouse was acting up.if you could tell me what happened that...
  4. microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    microsoft download windows 10 for my hp laptop i am running on windows 7 and 8 and i need...: I need to download windows 10 I did have it and then I uninstalled some time back as I found windows 7 & 8 was easier and I just updated now it tells me it is coming to a end and I need to install windows 10 could you pls tell me the official site safe to download for free...
  5. Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update killed hard drive - or not? Scandisk says drive OK, HP says corrupt!: I have a HP Pavilion 500-319na desktop with an 1-54460s cpu at 2.9g and 8mb ram and 2tb hard disk. It was 'born' September 2014, I bought it January 2015, and it shipped with windows 10. However, recent updates to windows 10 pushed out by microsoft crash it. Not only...
  6. HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    HP Stream 8 updated Windows 10: I have a Stream8 which updated the windows 10 and now I can not log on as the keyboard and wifi have been disabled. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-stream-8-updated-windows-10/79b99f14-2c14-46c9-a415-a6414fb9da3c
  7. Microsoft is killing PDF Reader on Windows 10 Mobile

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is killing PDF Reader on Windows 10 Mobile: Microsoft to Remove Windows 10 Mobile’s PDF Reader, Offer Edge Browser Instead We've got some bad news for those who rely on PDF Reader for checking through documents on the go. The app will soon no longer be supported on Windows 10 Mobile. A notification detailing the...
  8. 10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    10 Windows 8 features that didn't make it to Windows 10: Windows 8 was filled with bold ideas, designed to move Windows forward in one giant leap. Three years later, as Windows 10 nears its release date, many of those innovative ideas are gone. Here's a look at what's been tossed away, and why. The Start screeen The Charms menu...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...
  10. Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's CEO Says Cortana's Going to Kill the Browser: [img] Personal assistants will search the web for everything Microsoft's putting a lot of effort into Cortana, the company's personal assistant that was originally available on Windows Phone but that is now debuting across a wider variety of platforms, so Redmond...