Windows 10: Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update

Discus and support Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Team, My personal files were missing after the April 2019 Update. I took my laptop to Microsoft Store for the Recovery. The store engineers were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Amith Indurthi, May 17, 2020.

1. Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update

Hi Team,

My personal files were missing after the April 2019 Update. I took my laptop to Microsoft Store for the Recovery. The store engineers were able to recover the data after three months of waiting. After that I have not logged into my laptop until last week. When I was trying to jpg/jpeg files, the Microsoft Photos App and Windows Photo Viewer App are not able to open the jpg/jpeg files and throws an error stating cannot be opened. I followed the couple of methods mentioned in the previous questions by the impacted users and the results are same as they mentioned and does not fix anything. Please advice there are a lot of memories of my mother and family/friends/

Any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks

Amith Indurthi

:)

Amith Indurthi, May 17, 2020
  2. iko22 Win User

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, May 17, 2020
  3. FrankS Win User
    photos vs photo viewer

If I double click on a .tif file in File Explorer it opens in Photo Viewer whereas if I double click on a .jpg file it opens in Photos.
    I much prefer using Photo Viewer because you can run a slide show from there & with a right click adjust the speed or duration to Fast, Medium or Slow.
    However, using Photos. although you can also run a slideshow, there's no option to change the speed.
    So, in Settings - Default Apps - Choose default application by file type I scroll to .jpg & discover that Photo Viewer is not on the list of possible apps.
    Of course, scrolling down to .tif & it's already set to Photo Viewer.
    How can I set .jpg to open in Photo Viewer just as it is with .tif ?

FrankS, May 17, 2020
  4. cheeesus Win User

Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update

How to bring back Photo Viewer in Windows 10?

Unfortunately, none of the above answers worked for me, but they pointed me in the right direction.

1. Right-click on an image in Windows Explorer, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    2. In the dialog, scroll down and click on More apps, then `Look for another app on this PC.
    3. Then, at the bottom right, choose All Files (*.*) instead of Programs (*.exe ...), then navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and choose PhotoViewer.dll.
    4. Photo Viewer opens. Close it.
    5. Repeat Step 1: Right-click again on the image, choose Open With, then Choose another app.
    6. Again scroll down to click on More apps.
    7. Now Windows Photo Viewer appears in the apps list. Choose it and click on Always use this app to open .png files.

Once you did steps 1-4, you don't have to repeat them for other file types. Steps 5-7 should suffice.

cheeesus, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update

1. Microsoft Photos/ Windows Photo Viewer Not Opening the jpg/jpeg files after April 2019 Update - Similar Threads - Microsoft Photos Photo

2. jpg photos don't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    jpg photos don't open: my jpg photos won't open in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-photos-dont-open/863bd1aa-30a7-4ea7-8cc7-4cb6c68be60b
  3. Windows Photo Viewer supports Motion JPEG

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Photo Viewer supports Motion JPEG: I just accidentally discovered that the Windows Photo Viewer (version 2023.11110.29003.0) can play videos of my Motion JPEGs that I shot with my smartphone. This feature seems to be fairly new and I've been missing it as it improves the desktop photo experience a lot. Simply...
  4. My Files with photos in them are not opening as a JPG?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Files with photos in them are not opening as a JPG?: Hello thereSo for about a week now I have had this problem where my files which have photos in them are always opening as a Webp images instead of an JPG, I cant seem to view them on windows Photo app. I download files on google chrome but the photos wont open in the windows...
  5. My Files with photos in them are not opening as a JPG?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Files with photos in them are not opening as a JPG?: Hello thereSo for about a week now I have had this problem where my files which have photos in them are always opening as a Webp images instead of an JPG, I cant seem to view them on windows Photo app. I download files on google chrome but the photos wont open in the windows...
  6. UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UNABLE TO OPEN JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO: USING MS 365. HAVE UPDATED SOFTWARE. BUT NOW UNABLE TO OPEN ANY JPG FILES WITH MS PHOTO. THEY DO OPEN WITH MS PAINT & PAINT 3D BUT I PREFER PHOTO. USED TO OPEN AUTOMATICALLY WHEN I CLICKED ON THE PIC. JUST GET A BLACK SCREEN WITH NO PIC THEN GOES OFF. PLEASE HELP...
  7. Photo app won't open JPEG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app won't open JPEG files: I am trying to open JPEG files in the photo app and I get an error message that this file format is not supported. How do I fix that? Same thing happens with photoviewer or photo gallery...
  8. opening jpg photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening jpg photos: I cannot open photos in jpg format when I double click on them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-jpg-photos/fcce5b94-6b60-4f59-a732-28835bcdcdc0
  9. Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer.: Hai, Jpg photo unable to open in windows photo viewer. i reset default apps. i choose default apps by file type. [img] [img] [img] [img] Regards. bala. 12326
  10. JPG files are Photo after Creators update

in Windows 10 Support
    JPG files are Photo after Creators update: I want JPEG file to be recognized as JPEG not as Photo after creators update, but I do want to keep "photo" as standard program to open. Robby 81436