Windows 10: Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10

Discus and support Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In the Creators Update, this spring's big Windows 10 release, Microsoft is adding some new knobs and levers for managing updates, including an option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10

Read more: Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10 | ZDNet

Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Tip How to Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Pause Updates in Windows 10

How to Change Active Hours for Windows Update in Windows 10

:)

Brink, Feb 27, 2017

2. How to defer updates/upgrades on Windows 10?

If you're running Win10 Pro, Enterprise or Education (i.e., not Home) edition, you may have other options soon. See:

PA Bear - MS MVP, Feb 27, 2017
  3. How to defer updates/upgrades on Windows 10?

Thanks for your response. I know about this as I am currently enrolled in the Windows Insider Program. If anyone is running the stable version of Windows 10, I need the exact instructions on how to defer.

Skat0r vista, Feb 27, 2017
  4. zooburner Win User

This is good news.. for Pro + users..

The cynic in me though says that Microsoft are now asking people to upgrade (ie: pay) for the privilege of having a feature that most would agree should be included in all editions, after all home editions get screwed up as much as any other edition with these flaky updates, and time taken to update (which was the reason given).
    Maybe its an admission that even giving windows10 away free just isn't working, forced updates aren't working, and now they need the cash.

zooburner, Feb 27, 2017
  5. OilerNut Win User
    Just make Windows Updates like they were in Vista/7/8. Present us a list of updates and allow us to CHOOSE which ones to install, including drivers. Set the default option to auto install for all I care, just give us an option to set it for how the customer wants it.

Why does this have to be so difficult?

OilerNut, Feb 27, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Typical tight fisted MS - this is a basic feature which should be in the Home edition.

Steve C, Feb 27, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Actually, I do not entirely agree.

The reality is vast majority of users (Home users now) on previous versions disabled updates and put pcs at risk without understanding what they were doing.

It is a basic fact that Pro Users tend to be more experienced users and have a greater understanding of how to do things and risks involved, and pay for the privilege of extra features.

I would say though that Home Users should have more control over driver updates.

cereberus, Feb 27, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

This has been discussed ad nauseam.

Reason is because so many uninformed people turned it off and never updated and got pcs in a real mess with viruses etc. that MS were forced to act.

Continual whinging about it does not change basic fact - MS are not going to compromise so people either have to "deal with it" or upgrade to PRO. Simple cost benefit analysis - is the feature worth the extra money to you personally.

Alternatively - go back to old OS.

cereberus, Feb 27, 2017
  9. Just like with Start, at first MS removed it, than advertised it as a great new feature.
    Now they are doing the same with something, that was normally present since XP.
    There are many ways to disable updates in Home, I have one method, which works.

The problem is, that updates in 10 are more messed up than ever before, so even basic users have to find out, how to disable them. I myself was lucky, only a bad driver via updates crippled my system, safe mode was not working, so I had to use Windows USB to boot to be able to run system restore.

TairikuOkami, Feb 27, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    There's updates and than there are updates. There should be no question about security updates, they should be mandatory and seamlessly integrated as they do not (or at least shouldn't) change anything in the way programs and APPs work.
    Driver updates should definitively be "On demand" and even completely manual.
    Feature updates and new features can do most "damage" if system was altered in any way and that's why they should be announced well in advance and carefully explained as well as precautions for system usage.
    APP updates should be configured so they are offered on particular APP's use.
    So layered updates would get rid of most complaints and satisfy almost everybody, even staunch detractors and control "freaks".

CountMike, Feb 27, 2017
  11. zooburner Win User
    I would agree with this, even though I update manually I would normally install security updates as soon as notification came up.
    It's those darn pesky 'feature updates' that annoy the most.

They could simply of course make auto updates the default, while allowing users to alter it, and it should be available throughout all versions. The problem updates and the time it takes to update isn't just a problem for Pro/business users

zooburner, Feb 27, 2017
  12. zooburner Win User
    That's just the point, a bad updates screws it up for users across the board. Microsoft seem to have taken the ''well it was free so what's you problem' route with home users, we are all it seems beta testers for industry / business users.

Then they scratch their heads wondering why people are so stubborn sticking with windows 7 !

Do they really wonder why some simply turn off auto updates, how selfish we are, not wanting to spend hours (sometimes days of frustration) getting round new problems (sorry features) introduced in updates.

Z

zooburner, Feb 27, 2017
  13. waltc Win User

January 2020 Windows 7 EOL's and dies for good...*Wink Windows 8/.1 after that. As it is Microsoft who set these EOL dates in stone after Win10 initially shipped, it appears Microsoft isn't actually expecting a huge surge of demand for Win10 until 2020 (over and above the demand they've already had for Win10. )

waltc, Feb 27, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    By than, HW will demand it too.

CountMike, Feb 27, 2017
  15. Hewjr100 Win User
    My question is if there are going to be 2 new updates this year, will there be new iso's in case of problems which require a a fresh install, instead of using an older usb installation media.

Henry

Hewjr100, Feb 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Microsoft prepares to roll out new update options for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft prepares roll

2. Photos app update for Windows 11 rolls out with a new interface and editing options

in Windows 10 News
    Photos app update for Windows 11 rolls out with a new interface and editing options: The Photos app in Windows 10 and 11 is not exactly a fan-favorite. Many users prefer the good old Photo Viewer, for its speed, simplicity and overall usefulness. That could change, because Microsoft is rolling out a new update for the Photos app for Windows 11, and it brings...
  3. Windows 10 reliability patch rolling out to prepare PCs for the feature update

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 reliability patch rolling out to prepare PCs for the feature update: As Windows 10 version 1909 is reaching the end of servicing period next month and the Windows 10 Spring 2021 update is around the corner, some users are seeing reliability update KB4023057 again. KB4023057 update was first released in 2018 and it has been made available to...
  4. Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 KB4497165 update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out Windows 10 KB4497165 update: Earlier today, Microsoft pushed out KB4497165 for Windows 10 version 1909 and version 1903. Since security updates are mandatory in Windows 10, it’s likely that the update is already listed in your Windows Update page or you already have it installed. So what does it do?...
  5. New Microsoft Edge is rolling out to Windows 10 May 2020 Update

in Windows 10 News
    New Microsoft Edge is rolling out to Windows 10 May 2020 Update: On January 15, Microsoft’s new Chromium-based Edge browser was officially launched. In January, the company also announced that it will roll out the new browser to Windows 10 users automatically via a standalone Windows Update. For Windows 10 version 1909 (November 2019...
  6. Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out important Windows 10 update changes: Today, Microsoft is implementing measures that could improve overall Windows Update experience on Windows 10. Microsoft has struggled to get the way it updates Windows right and users have reported problems after every Windows 10 update. In 2019, Microsoft was criticized for...
  7. Microsoft is rolling out a new Cortana experience on Windows 10 20H1

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out a new Cortana experience on Windows 10 20H1: In the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, Microsoft separated Cortana from the Windows search to innovate both features independently. With Windows 10 20H1 update, Microsoft is turning Cortana into an independent app that would change the way Microsoft delivers updates its digital...
  8. Microsoft rolls out another update for new Edge on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out another update for new Edge on Windows 10: Microsoft is rolling out a new version of its Chromium-powered Microsoft Edge browser for the users in the Dev channel. Many of the improvements included in Microsoft Edge Dev are also available for Microsoft Edge Canary. The new Microsoft Edge Dev version is 76.0.152.0 and...
  9. Microsoft rolls out new Edge update for Windows 10 with improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out new Edge update for Windows 10 with improvements: Chromium-powered Edge was recently launched for Windows 10 and Microsoft is working on multiple big changes for the browser, including a better privacy tool. Meanwhile, Microsoft has rolled out a new update to Edge with a slew of improvements and bug fixes. Microsoft Edge...
  10. Microsoft is rolling out a Cortana update with new design on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is rolling out a Cortana update with new design on Windows 10: It looks like a new server-side update is rolling out to Cortana in Windows 10 October 2018 Update with noticable changes. The latest server-side update to Cortana revamps the homepage interface to bring it in line with the changes that have been tested by Microsoft in...