Windows 10: Missing most of the Universal Apps

Discus and support Missing most of the Universal Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Not sure why But I have lost most of my Universal apps. The only ones showing is Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Get Office, tips, How do I get them and is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by samIOW, Feb 17, 2017.

1. samIOW Win User

Missing most of the Universal Apps

Not sure why But I have lost most of my Universal apps. The only ones showing is Cortana, Microsoft Edge, Get Office, tips,

How do I get them and is there a default setting to reinstall them?

Thanks

:)

samIOW, Feb 17, 2017

2. Most of the Universal apps are terrible

The minimalistic approach that MS is taking with W10 Universal apps is terrible.

There seems to be no proper options in most of these apps . The Mail app is just hideous and clumsy, and there's no options to change the arrangement of it, or font colour, size etc. It's just so hard to look at it I almost never bother. Every so often I
    try to use it again and I don't last two minutes in there.

Weather and Maps are ok, (since they're not font based I think) Photos is ok, but the way photos are arranged looks rushed. Calendar has potential but the font is also really hard to read and there's lots of wasted space, it looks clumpy with no proper separation
    of colours. The months aren't even separated in the big calendar, they just run into one another. The dark theme is too dark and the light theme is too light.

Whoever is designing the UI's might need to calibrate their monitor, or their eyes.

Is it that MS don't really know how to program these Universal apps properly? Or is it that the Universal apps platform is just really limited for options etc?

I understand that they are trying to set up a platform for all devices, but what's the point if it's so bad? Comparing the

Mail App to Gmail is just laughable.. There should be REAL theme options (not just colour) and font options, layout and size options etc...

joeo sullivan, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Most of the Universal apps are terrible

Agreed.

I'll never use Groove it's just to striped down, you can't even change artist or song info.

I think they built it just to get people to buy music from them.

Same with Film & TV, it's got no options except 'buy movies from us'.

They're a joke compared to the likes of VLC or WMP..

I gave up uninstalling the stupid apps since I'm getting insider builds and they just reappear every time.

The universal apps platform is retarded, not using the word as an insult, it's just the best description.

joeo sullivan, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Missing most of the Universal Apps

Hi SamIOW

Any chance you have restore points enabled? You could do a system restore to a point in time where you know they were present.

There is also a very good tutorial here within the forum.

Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10

Myself I would do the restore first. You can see the apps are missing but I would be wondering if anything else changed that I can't see.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 17, 2017
  5. samIOW Win User
    Thanks for that, I tried the system restore but no joy, I also tried downloading it from the windows store, But it comes up as installed , the trouble is that when I click on the calc .exe it tells me I need another app to run this, also it shows that it was modified?

samIOW, Feb 17, 2017
  6. Did you follow the steps in the tutorial?

Do you know for sure no Malware is present. What AV scanners have you used?

have you run sfc /scannow from command prompt(admin). You may need to run more than once if it reports errors.

Caledon Ken, Feb 17, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    That will literally do nothing helpful at all. It simply checks if System32 contains the same stuff as WinSxS thinks it should. It doesn't help in the slightest with Universal Apps. They are stored in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and are not affected by this command at all.

If you have removed your apps (presumably you'd remember if you did) then run a in-place upgrade. It will replace them. See here Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

If your profile is corrupt then that won't help either as there is a lot of stuff stored for Apps in your C:\Users\<yourname>\Appdata directory which is untouched by an in-place upgrade.

So make a new user and see if that helps (a quicker test than an in place upgrade).

8. samIOW Win User

Thanks for everyone's advice, I managed to uninstall calculator using powershell Get-AppxPackage *windowscalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage and then installed it from windows stores
    which I found online .

Now all I need to know is what was the default apps installed in the Universal Apps in windows 10 pro ? so that I can use powershell to uninstall them and then reinstall the ones that I want.

No I never uninstalled any apps myself, windows for some reason has modified them. at least that what it said on the calc.exe

I have Kaspersky Internet Security, with Malwarebytes premium

samIOW, Feb 18, 2017
  9. samIOW Win User
    thanks for all your help, I have now managed to reinstall all the default Apps.

samIOW, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Missing most of the Universal Apps - Similar Threads - Missing Universal Apps

2. Most apps are missing after fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most apps are missing after fresh install: After i made a fresh install, using the MS fresh install option, all the default apps are missing. Why? Why can't you fix such bugs? MS is really the worst company in the world, and we should all buy Apple. This is probably what i am going to do as Windows is getting worse...
  3. Most apps are missing after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most apps are missing after fresh install: After i made a fresh install, using the MS fresh install option, all the default apps are missing. Why? Why can't you fix such bugs? MS is really the worst company in the world, and we should all buy Apple. This is probably what i am going to do as Windows is getting worse...
  4. Most thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most thumbnails missing: Hello. My PC will not display thumbnails for most but not all apps This happens everywhere desktop & folders You can see it won't even show in the root folder. I have tried everything in the following article minus downloading the utility to no avail which included using the...
  5. Universal mail App

Universal mail App: I purchased the Universal mail App. When I tried to log in to my third-party email account it gives the message "account type not support" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/universal-mail-app/82675005-5158-41aa-aa4f-f4f9343170c2
  6. Changed password now most apps missing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changed password now most apps missing: I reset my microsoft password last night, now most of my apps are missing from my desktops. plural as it is the same for both my computers I assume the problem is the new password. Is there a way of resetting to an older password?...
  7. Most Built-In Windows Apps Missing Thumbnails.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Most Built-In Windows Apps Missing Thumbnails.: [ATTACH] Pretty much what the title says. Self-downloaded apps like games, Discord, Steam, whatever still have thumbnails, it's just the Windows pre-installed ones that mostly don't. This just suddenly happened and I'm not sure why at all....
  8. Universal apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Universal apps: Hello Microsoft I need a bit of help with something. I need a way of hiding Universal apps from being in my start bar. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/universal-apps/0e601425-6323-4ead-b1b4-0e6f208dd544
  9. Universal app emulator?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Universal app emulator?: Please read carefully before replying. I have read here that a developer can use an emulator included in Microsoft Visual Studio to test his universal (modern interface, Windows Store) apps, even if he is running Windows 7 on his computer. This is interesting as there are...
  10. Universal apps how to?

Universal apps how to?: Is there a way to check if an app is Universal or not? For example, if I want to install the Netflix Universal app, will it just automatically be the one in the store? Because, isn't there still a non-universal version? Also, I have heard about people sorting or organizing,...