Windows 10: Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies.

Discus and support Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running a fairly fresh install of Windows 10. (not upgrade). Was having no problems. I really like Windows 10 so far. I upgraded my graphics card... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dojii, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dojii Win User

Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies.

Running a fairly fresh install of Windows 10. (not upgrade).
    Was having no problems. I really like Windows 10 so far.
    I upgraded my graphics card from gtx650 to a gtx960
    this is when a minor problem began.

The monitor turns off after 10 minutes, even if I have 'NEVER' selected in power options.
    The monitor turns off after 10 minutes when VLC player is in full screen for watching movies.
    The monitor turns off after 10 minutes when streaming / flash video in full screen.

What I supposed is some old setting got stuck in the registry. So I just reinstalled the Video driver again. I've checked the BIOS to see if there was any power options causing this and I don't see any. I'm pretty sure it's something in the registry because I have seen similar problems about this....

But if anyone can help!! Please let me know.

:)

Dojii, Apr 3, 2016
  2. ufoldager Win User

PC goes into sleep mode

I am not entirely sure that this is an issue related to my power option choices, but my PC goes into sleep mode (I think) after having not actively used the PC for 10 consequtive minutes.

I have multiple screens (1 monitor, 1 TV). So when I set my PC to play a movie on my TV, the PC "thinks it's idle", so after having watched the movie for 10 minutes, my monitor goes into "Power Save" mode. This also affects my TV screen as it goes black
    like the monitor, which is why I think this can only be related to the Power Option choice.

I am using the Balanced setting right now, but have set the "Turn off the display" to 30 minutes and the "Put the computer to sleep" to 30 minutes.

Regardless of which Power Option I pick, the PC always goes into sleep mode after 10 minutes.

I simply cannot figure this problem out since no matter what I do, nothing changes the 10 minutes sleep mode effect.

Any help/advice here?

Thanks!

ufoldager, Apr 3, 2016
  3. mi0ne Win User
    WIndows 10 pc goes to sleep when connected to TV

Hey there

My PC runs on Windows 10 and I have disabled Hibernate and Hybrid sleep. I have only set it to sleep after 45' of inactivity (my monitor goes off after 15', but I have altered the settings so I can still listen to music etc with my monitor off).

But I have also connected the pc to my TV and the problem is this:

when I set the TV to the HDMI channel (so I wan watch a movie, listen to some music etc from my pc), if my pc stays inactive for a couple of minutes, it goes straight to sleep. The pc monitor may even be still on, but it will sleep anyway just because the movie/song
    stopped!

This is a bit frustrating. I have updated all my drivers and run troubleshooters, but can't find anything.

Thank you in advance!

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Sleep and Power on/off

mi0ne, Apr 3, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

5. Dojii Win User
    Applied those settings.
    Monitor went to sleep after 10 minutes during Streamed Video *Sad

Power option for display: Set to Never *Sad
    Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes  -- And during movies. [​IMG]

My setting here.

Dojii, Apr 4, 2016
  6. Dojii Win User
    Seems like I am having a similar problem to what people have experienced here;
    Monitor turns off after 2 minutes of inactivity - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums

One guys monitor on that thread ^^^ Always turned off after 5 minutes no matter what his power settings were.

I hate to Re-install and waste all these writes to my SSD. This is literally the ONLY problem I've ever had with windows 10. I hope there is some Windows 10 Savant out there who can fix this...

Dojii, Apr 4, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    When you click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable', do you see any setting that becomes available that may cause this?

axe0, Apr 4, 2016
  8. zztemp Win User

might not be a true fix but what if you would say 100000 minutes? At least you would be able to watch your movies for the time being ?

zztemp, Apr 4, 2016
  9. Dojii Win User
    No nothing that I see. Checked Bios too. Nothing there or obscure.

Also I set Set the screen to turn off after 3 hours. Didn't work. Still shuts off after 10 minutes.
    Another thing to note is the screen saver doesn't work at all. I can put the screen saver to 1 minute... and it never comes on.

Simply upgrading my graphics card caused this. Oh well. I will just reformat. Though I have like 200 GB of video games I will have to reinstall onto my fresh new SSD =/

Dojii, Apr 4, 2016
  10. Dojii Win User
    Dojii, Apr 4, 2016
  11. Dojii Win User
    Today I ran a scan with Malware Bytes (free trial version).
    The scan found a few trojan/backdoor/problem items. Not much. But one was like identified as a "not recommended windows setting". That setting I believe was one of these registry items below.
    After the scan and reboot It fixed the problem, after removing the following;

Processes: 2
    Trojan.Injector, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nwtray.exe, 6284, Delete-on-Reboot, [a94d9b12a9f00c2a8ddf60c182808b75]
    Backdoor.Agent.BDB, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nvvswc.exe, 6964, Delete-on-Reboot, [cc2a3d7067321323e7ba60bf7b875da3]

Modules: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 1
    PUM.Optional.UserWLoad, HKU\S-1-5-21-1558198759-2112101247-383713384-1001\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\WINDOWS|Load, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nvvswc.exe, Quarantined, [20d6c0edbedbb97dd147275557adee12]

Registry Data: 1
    Backdoor.Agent.BDB, HKU\S-1-5-21-1558198759-2112101247-383713384-1001\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION\WINDOWS|Load, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nvvswc.exe, Good: (), Bad: (C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nvvswc.exe),Replaced,[cc2a3d7067321323e7ba60bf7b875da3]

Folders: 0

Files: 2
    Trojan.Injector, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nwtray.exe, Delete-on-Reboot, [a94d9b12a9f00c2a8ddf60c182808b75],
    Backdoor.Agent.BDB, C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\WinRAR\nvvswc.exe, Delete-on-Reboot, [cc2a3d7067321323e7ba60bf7b875da3],

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

Dojii, Apr 11, 2016
  12. RWOne Win User
    Good to hear, and you removed malware to boot, I was going to ask if the monitor itself may have had a timeout setting.

If that's the case, please set to solved ...

RWOne, Apr 11, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Lesson: If you do piracy and use software activation hacks, you are calling your problem yourself.

Thema:

1. Monitor goes to sleep after 10 minutes -- And during movies. - Similar Threads - Monitor goes sleep

2. my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games: also to wake up the 2nd monitor i have to go to display and click anything and then revert after i closed the gamethis just happened yesterday...
  3. my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my 2nd monitor goes to sleep after a few minutes of playing games: also to wake up the 2nd monitor i have to go to display and click anything and then revert after i closed the gamethis just happened yesterday...
  4. Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Monitor Goes Black/To Sleep During Windows 10 Installation: Hey everyone, I've been dealing with this issue for the past four hours and have tried almost everything I can think of, so I'm hoping someone can help me. Also, I apologize because this is going to be a long post. PC SPECS: Motherboard: GIGABYTE AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI CPU: AMD...
  5. MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MONITOR GOES TO SLEEP: While working on the computer, it suddenly shut down and went into sleep mode. I cannot "wake it" back up. I have checked all connections and tried to power down completely. when I attempt to wake it up manually, it does through its startup routine and then goes back to...
  6. Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes

Windows goes to sleep after 5 minutes: So recently my computer has started to go to sleep after about 5 minutes of inactivity. I've looked everywhere and have tried everything but nothing seems to work. Here's a list of what I've tried. Running troubleshooting on power settings. Running regedit and going to...
  7. System goes to sleep after 5 minutes

System goes to sleep after 5 minutes: ***Modify title from: Sleep*** My HP laptop goes into sleep mode after 5 minutes, even when plugged in. In settings the screen is set to go off in 30 minutes and it is set to sleep after 5 hours when plugged in....
  8. monitor sleeps after 10 minutes

monitor sleeps after 10 minutes: so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 the other day (clean install) and my monitors go to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity i have my screen and computer set to never sleep everything is set to never no screensaver i have set system unattended sleep to never (ive set...
  9. Laptop goes to sleep after a minute of no use....

Laptop goes to sleep after a minute of no use....: Not sure if this is a Windows 10 issue or a laptop issue. I have the sleep mode after no use set to 15 minutes, but lately it goes to sleep after one minute or not moving the mouse or anything. Not sure what the problem and would love to see if anyone here has a solution....
  10. Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???

in Windows 10 Support
    Goes to sleep after 2 minutes???: Although set to sleep after an hour while on power, it goes to sleep after 2 minutes. Before the Win 10 upgrade, whatever I set power conservation at was what the laptop followed. Never had any problems until now... Any thoughts? Thanks, Bruce 43893