Windows 10: Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk'

Discus and support Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk' in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Recently I had to upgrade my Desktop components to one of the most recent and affordable ones with 32 GB RAM, and the OS on a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., Oct 19, 2019.

1. Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk'

Recently I had to upgrade my Desktop components to one of the most recent and affordable ones with 32 GB RAM, and the OS on a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD.

File history before this event, was on a partition across another physical hard disk where I used to store my other files and system backups. This hard drive was not the one where system drive was.

My present issue is that

• On my new 512 GB NVMe SSD, I have created a partition exclusively for this File History.
    • But to my surprise, if I click 'select drive'(to which File History is to be moved), this particular partition named by me as 'File History' is not shown.

Next is a question that may be related to this

• I have a RAM Disk of 8GB, out of my 32GB RAM array, and I will soon enhance this to 64GB.
    • Do I really need an exclusive File History folder, particularly if I can still increase the capacity of the RAM Disk?

:)

Dr. Abdul Rasheed. K., Oct 19, 2019

2. How to remove folders from File History

• I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful

mila parker, Oct 19, 2019
  3. ALN
    ALN Win User
    How to remove folders from File History

That did it - Thank you Mila!

4. ALN
    ALN Win User

Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk'

How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

Thema:

Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk'

1. Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk' - Similar Threads - Move 'File History

2. Moving a folder to an external disk empties the folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a folder to an external disk empties the folder: I've had this problem for a week now. Every time I move a folder to my external disk the resulting folder is empty. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-a-folder-to-an-external-disk-empties-the/0a84d9c7-16bd-4d60-afc0-a0656cda7a99
  3. Moving a folder to an external disk empties the folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a folder to an external disk empties the folder: I've had this problem for a week now. Every time I move a folder to my external disk the resulting folder is empty. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-a-folder-to-an-external-disk-empties-the/0a84d9c7-16bd-4d60-afc0-a0656cda7a99
  4. File History files/folders invisible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History files/folders invisible: I had trouble getting File History turned on for an external hard drive. Finally it's working. However, I cannot see folders and files on the drive, even though I can go to properties and see that the drive is full. Is there a way to see, and perhaps access, the folders and...
  5. File History files/folders invisible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History files/folders invisible: I had trouble getting File History turned on for an external hard drive. Finally it's working. However, I cannot see folders and files on the drive, even though I can go to properties and see that the drive is full. Is there a way to see, and perhaps access, the folders and...
  6. File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]: [Windows 10 - 19041.685] Hi, how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History? Eg: 1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File History. 2. I move Folder A to drive D: 3. File History doesn't keep track of the move and no longer backs up Folder A. How...
  7. File history folder

File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  8. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  9. Moving File History Folder

Moving File History Folder: I have my File History on a physical internal hard drive that is now almost completely full. I wanted to know if I could move the entire fie history to a newer and much larger drive? I understand I can create a new File History drive but I'm assuming in doing this I will...
  10. File history skipping files / folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history skipping files / folders: I have custom libraries set up to back up my X:\Pictures directory and it's been backing up just fine. I dumped a large amount of pictures to a sub folder and didn't get around to deleting the bad ones before file history threw them on my history drive. No big deal, I went...