Windows 10: Moving documents location, are there security risks?

Discus and support Moving documents location, are there security risks? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have moved my documents location by following the tutorial at Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 Is there any serious security risk in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fortitude, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Fortitude Win User

Moving documents location, are there security risks?

I have moved my documents location by following the tutorial at Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10

Is there any serious security risk in moving the documents from their default location and if so, how can I reverse the above move procedure?

:)

Fortitude, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Suddenly, Documents folder has moved to Downloads

We appreciate the details you've provided. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to move your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10:

• You need to create a new folder named Documents at the location you want to move your personal Documents folder.
    • Press Win + E to open File Explorer, right-click
      Documents, and select Properties.
    • Select the Location tab and click the Move button.
    • Browse and select the new Documents folder at the location you want to move the folder Documents. Click the
      Select Folder.
    • Click OK to apply.
    • Click Yes to move all the files from the old location to the new location.
    • Your personal Documents folder and all of its contents will now be moved to the new location.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 5, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Is windsows 7 a security risk?

There is 2 security risks. No one can stop security holes even more so with MS software as it would be more targeted although Linux has got to be going up on that list to now.

1. Your comp being online
    2. The user

AsRock, Jul 5, 2019
  4. fuelsguy Win User

Documents folders moved to another location

To Answer your questions:

Issue started Wednesday after another user has spent a lot of time moving and sorting a lot of photographs. Don't know if this had anything to do with the problem.

Earlier problems: no, PC has been working fine for a long time.

No error messages other than from Outlook which alerted me to the problem. Other applications have lost their lists of recent files. Example, Word, if I open Word and go to files, I get a list of recent files, all saved in Library\Documents\folder\file name.
    If I click on a file I get an error message Directory name not valid.

Pointers; I think of windows having files in one place but pointers located in other places. these may be shortcuts in windows-speak.

Follow up,

I did copy the folders and files in the "Documents save folder" to the E: hard drive. Checking properties, the file location just show as E:\ . I copied the folders and files from the E: drive to the library\documents folder on C: thinking the files would
    show the location as C:\ Users\name\Documents but the files all reverted to C:\Users\name\Document save folder\documents\file name.

Tried the cut and paste suggestion. Copied the folders and files from E: to D: drive as a backup.

Cut the folders and files from D: and pasted them in Library\Documents. Took a long time to paste files but the location still shows as C:\Users\name\Document save folder\documents\file name.

So I still don't have a way of relocating the folders and files back to Library\Documents so the applications can find files.

fuelsguy, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Moving documents location, are there security risks? - Similar Threads - Moving documents location

2. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  3. Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't move the folder "Documents" to default location.: So, I've quit OneDrive, and I want to move my "Documents" folder to the default location, but for some reason, it doesn't let me. It tells me this message: "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.Access is denied ".I've...
  4. Chrome Extensions Security Risk

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome Extensions Security Risk: Note this article about risks in Chrome extensions now removed Exclusive: Massive spying on users of Google's Chrome shows new security weakness - Reuters Does anyone know what extensions were removed and whether the same issue affects other chrome based browsers e.g. Edge...
  5. Chrome Extension Security Risk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome Extension Security Risk: See here Chrome Extensions Security Risk 158904
  6. Moved documents location. how do I restore it?

in Windows 10 Support
    Moved documents location. how do I restore it?: I moved my documents location from C:/Users/aaron/Documents to D:. It's not really ideal as the whole drive is dedicated to documents now. I probably should have made the file structure inside the D drive first. How do I fix it? I can't create a new folder inside my user...
  7. How to move documents default location to another HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to move documents default location to another HD: Hi, I am running out of space location on my SSD "C drive" . How can I move all default folders location to another HD to dedicate my SSD for Windows operation? Note I am running Win10 - 64. Thanks...
  8. Cannot move Documents folder to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot move Documents folder to new location: Short version: I'm getting an error message when I attempt to move my Documents folder to a new location (same volume):The folder can't be moved here...The filename or extension is too long (see attachment). Longer version: I want to move my Documents, Videos, and Pictures...
  9. How can I move the location of the Public Documents?

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I move the location of the Public Documents?: Also, how can I move the location of the Public Documents? I only have the one user profile set up on this PC. I use the Public folders to access files with the other devices on our home network. 90465
  10. Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Documents Folder - Move Location in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Documents Folder Location in Windows 10 By default, Windows stores your personal Documents folder in your account's %UserProfile% folder (ex: "C:\Users\Brink"). You can change where files in...