Windows 10: Moving File History Folder

Discus and support Moving File History Folder in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have my File History on a physical internal hard drive that is now almost completely full. I wanted to know if I could move the entire fie history to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Jerrythesurfer, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Moving File History Folder

I have my File History on a physical internal hard drive that is now almost completely full. I wanted to know if I could move the entire fie history to a newer and much larger drive?

I understand I can create a new File History drive but I'm assuming in doing this I will create a "new" File History and has nothing to do with the one I had on my older drive and hence lose all the previous versions. It is not documented but can I move the File History folder to a new drive and then point File History to that new drive and hope it will just work?

Can someone let me know if I can wholesale move the folder called File History to the new drive such that I retain all previous versions?

Jerry

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Mar 25, 2018

2. reconnect file history drive

reconnect file history drive

Moved from: [ OneDrive / Working with files and folders on OneDrive / Adding and removing files and folders / OneDrive in Windows 10 ]

John Grant 208, Mar 25, 2018
  3. dmddh Win User
    Windows 10 OS on a laptop. unable to enable file history

receive mssg. when attempting to turn on file history:

could not enable file history. the system cannot find the path specified.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

dmddh, Mar 25, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Moving File History Folder

I don't see why not.

You can certainly change the File History to uses another folder. If the new folder contains previous history it will ask if you want to retain the old history.

You won't loose anything by trying, you may well need to select the new drive after copying the File History to it. If you retain the File History folder on the old drive you could always switch back to using it if it didn't work.

Select Drive for File History in Windows 10

Be warned though, File History may be replaced by a new Timeline feature in future versions of Windows 10.

5. RolandJS Win User
    I hope you mean a new external device; anything connected to a computer during any ransomware or virus or malware attack can be reached and acted upon in ways a user would not like at all.

RolandJS, Mar 25, 2018
  6. Thanks,

Sounds like I can move my current File History folder to a new (and larger) drive and point File History app to the new location and it will keep on chugging along.

Thanks for the comment on Timeline. Sounds interesting but not sure based on the description that it will replace File History. Even if it does, I truly hope and expect MS to provide a migration path.

Jerrythesurfer, Mar 26, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    If and when Timeline does arrive, looks like File History will be removed.

Timeline was originally pencilled in for the Fall Creators Update, version 1709, build 16299, but wasn't ready in time.

Timeline feature will not make Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

This could explain why in the Insider builds leading up to 1709 File History was first removed, then reinstated. From the tutorial I linked to earlier...
    Timeline is back in the Insider builds now, starting with 17063. It is expected to appear publicly in the Spring Creators Update, 1803, some time in April.

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Fast+Skip Build 17063 for PC

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Moving File History Folder

1. Moving File History Folder - Similar Threads - Moving File History

2. File History files/folders invisible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History files/folders invisible: I had trouble getting File History turned on for an external hard drive. Finally it's working. However, I cannot see folders and files on the drive, even though I can go to properties and see that the drive is full. Is there a way to see, and perhaps access, the folders and...
  3. File History files/folders invisible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History files/folders invisible: I had trouble getting File History turned on for an external hard drive. Finally it's working. However, I cannot see folders and files on the drive, even though I can go to properties and see that the drive is full. Is there a way to see, and perhaps access, the folders and...
  4. File History files/folders invisible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History - How to move a backed up folder [Win10]: [Windows 10 - 19041.685] Hi, how do I move a folder being monitored (backed up) by File History? Eg: 1. Folder A on drive C: is backed up by File History. 2. I move Folder A to drive D: 3. File History doesn't keep track of the move and no longer backs up Folder A. How...
  6. File history folder

File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  7. File history folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history folder: Windows 10 v 2004 64 Bit:I have a notification saying that my file history folder has been disconnected for too long re- connect it now.When I type file history folder into the search box,it just says Toshiba F. Where do I find this to re-connect and is it important? 164596
  8. Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Move 'File History Folder' and 'RAM Disk': Recently I had to upgrade my Desktop components to one of the most recent and affordable ones with 32 GB RAM, and the OS on a 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD. File history before this event, was on a partition across another physical hard disk where I used to store my other files and...
  9. Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder

Restoring File History after renaming "File History" folder: New here and first time posting here so I apologize if Im in the wrong section. So I made a file back up onto a 2TB My Passport external hard drive using Windows 10 File History backup. I later renamed the folder to something other than the standard "FileHistory" windows...
  10. File history skipping files / folders

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File history skipping files / folders: I have custom libraries set up to back up my X:\Pictures directory and it's been backing up just fine. I dumped a large amount of pictures to a sub folder and didn't get around to deleting the bad ones before file history threw them on my history drive. No big deal, I went...