Windows 10: Moving files from Users

Discus and support Moving files from Users in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I found that I had a lot of duplication on my pc. I had pictures under Windows/Users and the same under Our Photos (D*Smile I moved the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enfield250, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Moving files from Users

Hello!
    I found that I had a lot of duplication on my pc.
    I had pictures under Windows/Users and the same under Our Photos (D*Smile
    I moved the pictures under Windows/Users to the Our Photos (D*Smile
    I now find in File Explorer I have D:/ and Our Photos (D*Smile
    Can I Safely delete D:/ ?
    Cheers

:)

enfield250, Oct 29, 2017
  2. orbli Win User

Win10: moving Users folder from C drive

I would like to collect the methodology and feedbacks about moving Users folder as I do not want to have too much IO works done on caching on my SSD C drive.

I have moved my Users folder to D drive and leave a symbolic link at original place. It seems to yield some problem on Edge, the new browser keeps shut down immediately after turn on. Also OneNote is suffering from the same problem.

Is there any other way to move the Users folder without drawback?

orbli, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Moving Users documents and pictures from the SSD (boot drive) to another drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Please be informed that Windows installation files can not be moved over from one partition to another.or in this case from one drive to another drive.

However you can copy data files from the boot drive to the other drive using file explorer view by copying and pasting.

Please post back with Windows related query. We will be happy to assist you.

Amrita Bhattacharjee, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Moving files from Users

Windows folder does not by default contains a subfolder named Users, this folder is not part of Windows system folders and can be deleted.

What does the D:\ partition contains can you post a screenshot of Disk Management console. You can open the Disk Management console by typing Diskmgmt.msc into Start Menu.

FreeBooter, Oct 29, 2017
  5. Gordon7 Win User
    Gordon7, Oct 29, 2017
  6. Moving files from Users [​IMG]

I have copied the screenshot, as you can see D:/ doesn't show only Our Photos (D*Smile.
    The files in both in file explorer are identical, I have backed up Our Photos (D*Smile.
    When I right click D:/ there is no delete or even format.
    Is there another way of getting rid of it?

enfield250, Oct 30, 2017
  7. There is a D: partition on Disk 1 which is named as Our Photos this partition is created by you so it must have your backup files you should not have any problem deleting and formatting the D: partition. Don't forget to backup any personal files before deleting and formatting D: partition.

You can also use a program to delete duplicated files, CCleaner program has a duplicated files finder feature.

FreeBooter, Oct 30, 2017
  8. Moving files from Users

Thanks, I have backed up the files to an external drive.
    I shall try and format the partition and then delete it, and then start again!
    Cheers,
    Colin

enfield250, Oct 30, 2017
  9. Right,
    I have now formatted and then deleted the Our Photos (D*Smile partition and rebooted the pc.
    In file explorer I still get D:/ shown as a drive, I am however unable to access it.
    It seems that it could be a short cut but, there is no delete tab to get rid of it, any other ideas.
    Cheers,
    Colin

enfield250, Oct 30, 2017
  10. Please post screenshot of Disk Management and File Explorer.

FreeBooter, Oct 30, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Reboot pc.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2017
  12. At the moment I'm struggling to get "File Explorer" and "Disk Management " to paste onto the reply.
    I get the screen up and press "print Screen" go to this page and select Paste and nothing happens.
    I'm obviously doing something wrong, but what?
    However the "disk management is exactly the same as the previous post" as I've re-created the Our Photos (D*Smile.

enfield250, Oct 30, 2017
  13. Moving files from Users

I've managed to upload the screenshots as a pdf. in attachments.
    Hope this helps !

enfield250, Oct 30, 2017
  14. You can use Greenshot to take screenshots and upload them to imgur website and paste link to screenshot to your post, the url link for the uploaded screenshot will be copied to Windows clipboard.

When you said you have created new Our Photos partition you did not mention the drive letter of this new partition.

FreeBooter, Oct 30, 2017
  15. essenbe Win User
Thema:

Moving files from Users

1. Moving files from Users - Similar Threads - Moving files Users

2. Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures: Hi--I have a Lightroom Classic catalog which does not play well with onedrive. I also have no need for onedrive as I am without internet for about half the year. I have disabled one drive not connected, but want to get my files out of a local drive with the word "onedrive" in...
  3. Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving files from c:\user\username\onedrive\pictures to c:\user\username\pictures: Hi--I have a Lightroom Classic catalog which does not play well with onedrive. I also have no need for onedrive as I am without internet for about half the year. I have disabled one drive not connected, but want to get my files out of a local drive with the word "onedrive" in...
  4. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  5. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to move files from one user profile to another: Hello, I am trying to move files from one account to another on windows. However, once I go into advanced system settings and then into user profiles only the "Default profile" can be "copied to" while all the other user profiles cannot. If I could get an answer on how to...
  6. Unable to move files from one user profile to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. moving user file

moving user file: I just Bought a new laptop that have both a ssd and hdd storage, and I what all my user data saved and sent to the hdd storage not the ssd one. Do I just cut and paste the "user" folder in the ssd to the hdd or will that break something?...
  8. Moving a File From WindowsApps

Moving a File From WindowsApps: My computer has a small C drive and a large D drive. I have a 40GB file folder that I'm trying to move over to my D: drive. Problem: It is a WindowsApp installed through the Microsoft Store, and I cannot seem to change that install directory. A ton of weird problems with...
  9. Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD

Moving all user files from SSD to SATA HD: Good day, I have a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro and the C: Drive is a 256 Gb SSD drive. The other internal drive D: is a 2 Tb SATA 5400 RPM hard drive. Currently the C: drive has just about everything on it, including all user folders and files. I would prefer to...
  10. Move user files from SSD to HDD...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move user files from SSD to HDD...: I am just one user on my laptop, I want my docs videos pics etc moved from my SSD to the HDD... I read the tutorial for setting it up so all future users accts will be there. It is way too complicated for a novice such as myself. Is there not an easy way to make this...