Windows 10: Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer

Discus and support Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, first time here, hoping you can help. I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit. This might be a bit of a long post... but I want to lay out the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MapleGoodness, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer

Hi all, first time here, hoping you can help.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.

This might be a bit of a long post... but I want to lay out the process... I fixed (I think) a long standing problem I've had, tonight, but am left with a new problem.. so want to show what I've done to date, hopefully it will point to the solution.

For quite some time, I've noticed that my Desktop wasn't showing up properly in my Quick Access area of File Explorer, or when saving documents, etc.

Instead of Desktop, I saw two icons showing Documents. But, one of them was just 'mis-labelled', and was, in fact, pointing to my Desktop. So I just lived with it, occasionally trying to find info to fix it. Tonight was another attempt

Tonight , I found info on this site about restoring personal folders involving accessing the folder properties, Location tab, and Restore the default.

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 User Accounts Tutorials

I tried the instructions for my Desktop folder, but found that it's properties window was lacking the LOCATION tab.

I then checked my Documents folder, and it's properties DID have the LOCATION tab... so I thought maybe if I restore that, it'll will bump things back in place.

Somehow in trying that, I inadvertently Pointed my Documents folder to my Desktop.... >_< Made things worse.... now had two "twin" copies of Documents... one where it should be, and one on the Desktop space, with identical, twinned files, folders, etc... and in the process bumped the Desktop into no mans land.

Now somewhat desperate, I took a leap of faith and ran the Restore Desktop BAT file from the page I linked above.

It did it's magic, and lo and behold, it looks like now my Desktop is back, my Documents are back where they should be, I even have Desktop showing up in my Quick Access again!

Now, though, I've noted a new problem...

If I click the START button, and click the little File Explorer icon, I get an erro pop up saying I can't access the specified path (C:\WIndows\Explorer.exe), that I may not have appropriate permissions.

I can, however, still access all files and folders, etc, if I go through My PC, or other folders/shortcuts.

Any suggestions??

Thanks you all!

:)

MapleGoodness, Feb 5, 2018

2. Windows 10 Desktop Folder

I have moved my desktop folder to another drive. Let's call it G:. All of my files and folders that were on my desktop are now on my G drive. I'd like to move them into a folder on my G drive called "Desktop." However, when I attempt to do this using the
    Properties>Location>Move it tells me "The Specified path is invalid." When I attempt to "Restore Default" it says "Access is denied."

What can I do?

MichaelNarlock, Feb 5, 2018
  3. LukaMurn Win User
    I accidentally set my Admin folder as my Desktop

Hi I've tried that but it says:

The folder can't be moved here

Can't move the folder becouse there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected.

Access denied.

and if i try to restore the file it doesent do anything.

LukaMurn, Feb 5, 2018
  4. Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer

Oh, one more tidbit... if, instead of clicking START, and selecting the File Explorer icon, I instead RIGHT-CLICK start, and then choose the listing for "File Explorer", it works fine. Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer o_O

MapleGoodness, Feb 5, 2018
  5. Oh my gosh.... I have to apologize... a quick restart of the PC fixed the Explorer permission error. /facepalm... rookie mistake.

Feel free to delete this thread. Again, sorry.

MapleGoodness, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer

1. Moving / Restoring Desktop,resulting in Access Denied to File Explorer - Similar Threads - Moving Restoring Desktop

2. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  3. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  4. Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied, win 10: Hello, i have windows 10 and I dont know what happened but when i turned it on today few wierd things happened.1. my desktop is black and i have only recycle bin icon on it2. My keyboard language has been switched3. When i go into file explorer > this computer > desktop It...
  5. Windows Explorer denies access to files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer denies access to files: Setting up a new PC and I have several folders that I can't access - it says "Access is denied". I did not have this problem on my old laptop with the same directories. Is this something new in Win 10? Permissions seem to be all messed up....
  6. Access denied to delete file from File Explorer, but not from Desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access denied to delete file from File Explorer, but not from Desktop?: So i have a folder on Desktop. If i want to delete it directly from Desktop its fine, it works. If i open Desktop in File Explorer, i can't delete the folder because it says Access Denied. What is this? submitted by /u/g0dafk [link] [comments]...
  7. File Access Denied

File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  8. Restoring of original file path causes error: access denied

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restoring of original file path causes error: access denied: Hi there, I tried outsourcing my folder "documents" from the hard drive C: to E: by changing its file path under system properties. Unfortunately, the hard drive E: itself has been assigned as the destinated location of any documents instead of creating a new folder as in...
  9. file explore says access denied

file explore says access denied: What to do if file explore says access denied when i select a user, i'm the administrator https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explore-says-access-denied/992024e6-d93a-4ef5-88ef-19be6311a773"
  10. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590