Windows 10: Moving USERS folder to D: drive, no install.wim file, just boot.wim?

Discus and support Moving USERS folder to D: drive, no install.wim file, just boot.wim? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I have just done a clean, fresh reinstall of Windows 10 using the USB media creation tool (installs a clean 1607 build and then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dark77, Dec 1, 2016.

1. dark77 Win User

Moving USERS folder to D: drive, no install.wim file, just boot.wim?

Hi everyone,

I have just done a clean, fresh reinstall of Windows 10 using the USB media creation tool (installs a clean 1607 build and then I update it), but I'm running on a laptop with small SSD and a huge secondary hard drive. So now I want to migrate the C:\USERS folder location to D: drive. I am trying to follow an excellent guide from tenforums, using the relocate.xml file. However, on my Windows 10 USB boot stock, I do not have the \sources\install.wim file necessary for this step.

The only wim file there is on the USB media stick is \sources\boot.wim.

Can I still go on with the procedure described above and put "boot.wim" instead of "install.wim" on the USB drive (G*Smile in the relocate.xml file?

I would very much try to avoid digging up the Windows 10 original CD which does have the install.wim file. First, I'm not sure where it is, but also, I am trying to solve a very annoying problem with windows, which has happenned during the update of older Windows 10 build to anniversary update - so I would like to avoid any windows components or installation that are older than 1607 build, like the Windows 10 CD.

Thanks

:)

dark77, Dec 1, 2016
  2. GeoBrick Win User

error code after trying to install windows 10 security update

The update worked fine when I moved the large files to a folder outside the users folder to another folder on the d: drive (I moved them back after the update).

I’m pretty sure this was the problem in my case. There’s no reason why the update script should be moving the user files from the "d:\windows.old" folder (it creates to hold them during the update) to "c:\users" then back to the new d:\users folder. It would
    only takes seconds to move big files between folders on the same drive but it can take hours to move them from one drive to the other and then back again. This is what the update is doing and this is why the update seems like it’s hanging up during the file
    migration phase (or failing when the files are too large to fit on smaller SSD C: drives intended by many users to hold the OS and Programs only.

I’m going to try it again on my second pc but this time I’m going to move all files from the 'users\[name]' and 'users\public' folders (including the \documents, \downloads, \music and \video folders) to a folder on the same 'd:' drive but outside the users
    folder.

GeoBrick, Dec 1, 2016
  3. Is it safe to move the AppData Folder?

Hello,

i want to ask if moving the AppData Folder to my D: Drive with symlinks AND changing the path in the registry is helpfull.

I'm asking this, because i want to outsource my User Folder from the normal C: Drive which is a small SSD.

I know it could be unstable and not very performant, but is it safe to move? I had Problems moving the Program Files and Program Files (x86) Folder to my D: Drive where i couldn't install updates properely. It just matters if the System can't work with that
    way.

Timo Schaller, Dec 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Dec 1, 2016
  5. dark77 Win User
    Hm, that's true, I used my old USB Media Cration Tool stick, guess I forgot.

In the meantime, I actually found elsewhere on tenforums that that line is not so important *Smile So I did the migration without that line in XML, seems to have worked fine *Biggrin

Thanks

dark77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Moving USERS folder to D: drive, no install.wim file, just boot.wim? - Similar Threads - Moving USERS folder

2. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder: Hello everyone,I guess there is already a thread regarding this problem, but I wasn't able to find it. For a school project, I have to make a working WDS service on my Windows Server 2019 VM. For this to work, I have to acquire an image in the .wim format.The workstation is...
  3. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder: Hello everyone,I guess there is already a thread regarding this problem, but I wasn't able to find it. For a school project, I have to make a working WDS service on my Windows Server 2019 VM. For this to work, I have to acquire an image in the .wim format.The workstation is...
  4. Why isnt there a .wim file in the backup folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot

Restoring a .WIM, Windows will not Boot: Hi, I am really at a loss, and was hoping someone would help. I have a .WIM that I need to restore to a test laptop.I have a USB thumb drive with WinPE on it. I have a USB SSD with the .WIM.The version of Windows is newer as of 6/2021, likely the latest version or one...
  6. performance on generating a wim file

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    performance on generating a wim file: I have a WinPE bootable USB drive. After booting from the usb, I use dism /capture-image /imagefile:E:\install.wim /capturedir*Biggrin:\ /ScratchDir:E:\Scratch /name:"AnyName" /compress:maximum /checkintegrity /verify /bootable to generate a wim file. I got an wim file that...
  7. Network Boot Plain WIM

Network Boot Plain WIM: Is it possible to network boot a WIM image ripped straight from the ISO, after isolating an index, or is it required to capture a running system to work with windows pe?...
  8. Viruses in an old WIM file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Viruses in an old WIM file: Hi Windows Defender (latest Windows 10 version) is reporting several viruses contained in an old WIM file produced under Windows 7 or 8. However, it just "hangs" when trying to solve the problem. I have tried to delete the file, cut and paste it to a memory stick, rename...
  9. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  10. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. install.wim moving