Windows 10: MR Rescue media added to ms boot options

Discus and support MR Rescue media added to ms boot options in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Has anyone noticed that the option to place Macrium Reflect's Bootable rescue media into msconfig boot options is gone. It seems that the latest update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by RichardC, Jun 9, 2019.

1. RichardC Win User

MR Rescue media added to ms boot options

Has anyone noticed that the option to place Macrium Reflect's Bootable rescue media into msconfig boot options is gone. It seems that the latest update removed that option and automatically places it there. Is it really necessary for it to be there?

:)

RichardC, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Cliff S Win User

Macrium Reflect /rescue media

Creating rescue media - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Cliff S, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Use Macrium Reflect Rescue Media to Fix Windows Boot Issues  

A really good question deserving a bit more in-depth answer. A short answer is it makes restoring boot menu on a dual / multi boot system a piece of cake, one simple command to restore it as it was instead of manually adding / changing everything.

Let's use my actual boot menu as an example:

MR Rescue media added to ms boot options [​IMG]

The easy way to restore my boot menu when I have been forced to reset boot records with Macrium Reflect is to restore a boot menu backup as told in tutorial (Part 1. to export / backup boot menu, Part 3. to restore it). One command to restore it fully:

In Command Prompt:

bcdedit /import X:\BootMenuBackup

Or in PowerShell:

cmd /c 'bcdedit /import X:\BootMenuBackup'

If I hadn't exported boot menu, I had to restore it manually:

MR Rescue media added to ms boot options [​IMG]

(Click screenshot to enlarge.)

1. Add Windows 10 Education on physical drive W: to boot menu
    2. Change its name (as shown in boot menu) to W10 EDU
    3. Add Windows 10 PRO on a mounted virtual hard disk file (drive I: when mounted) to boot menu
    4. Change its name to W10 PRO (VHD)
    5. Change current OS boot menu entry name to W10 PRO (Hyper-V)
    6. Copy the current OS boot menu entry to new entry W10 PRO (VMware)
    7. Disable hypervisor in the copied new entry to allow running VMware on same machine and installation already running Hyper-V
    8. Make current OS (my main OS, W10 PRO with hypervisor) default entry in boot menu, the one booted if user selects no OS within given time (by default 30 seconds)
    9. Set boot menu display order. To do that I open another PowerShell / Command Prompt to list all boot menu entries with simple bcdedit command to get and copy identifiers of all added operating systems. Last OS added is by default always {default}, current OS you are using is {current}, all other entries are identified with their hexadecimal GUID
    Not shown in screenshot: between steps 8. and 9. I launched Macrium Reflect to add Macrium Rescue environment as fifth entry to boot menu.

Notice that in steps 2. and 4. I used the same identifier {default} for two different operating systems when changing entry name. This is possible because by default the last OS added to boot menu gets identifier {default}; adding W:\Windows in step 1. made it default, then adding I:\Windows in step 3. made it default.

Exporting boot menu when it is as you prefer, then importing it with one command when need arises is much faster and easier.

I hope the above answers your question.

Kari, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

1. MR Rescue media added to ms boot options - Similar Threads - Rescue media added

2. Macrium rescue media

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium rescue media: Hows everybody? I solved this in the past and cant recall exactly how I did it. The macrium rescue media tool cant detect the correct drivers for a usb 3.0 device. And this is win 7 era hardware. It says that winRE has built in support. Not. I had to install the drivers for...
  3. Rescue Media Error

Rescue Media Error: While creating Rescue Disc for Macrium Reflect with a DVD containing the previous version rescue data always produces an error message on this Laptop, as opposed to my Desktop running the same version of MR containing the previous version's rescue data and Win10 x64 Pro....
  4. Booting from Rescue media

Booting from Rescue media: Hello All, -I use HP Compaq 8300 SFF as a second machine W 10 x64 Version10.0.19041 Build 19041 running in Legacy BIOS mode, the EUFI is missing. Checking the MR Rescue DVD was possible, booting F9 selecting SATA2 (HP forum advice). -This method however assumes a functioning...
  5. Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder

Adding Windows Boot Menu Via Macrium Rescue Media Builder: I'm familiar with what selecting this option does in BIOS Firmware but I wondering what it does on a UEFI Firmware PC. Does it actually add another boot item that's accessible from the boot section of the firmware? I find this option handy in the BIOS Firmware world but I'm...
  6. Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Unbootable Rescue media -- a VM to the rescue: Hi folks I needed to restore a "broken" Windows SSD - normally I use Macrium bootable rescue media - but I'd lost my set of 3 USB drives I had the rescue media on. !!!!! However I had a Windows Virtual machine on a Linux system from an external SSD. So attaching the...
  7. Adding drivers to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media

Adding drivers to Macrium Reflect Rescue Media: I am trying to add drivers to my rescue media for compatibility reasons. Specifically I wish to add some Intel RAID drivers as some of our devices require such a driver. I assumed copying the driver files to the "C:\boot\macrium\drivers\Disk" would allow the creation process...
  8. macrium rescue media

macrium rescue media: hi, I have installed a new external HDD for my backup image. Do I have to create a new rescue media? 113539
  9. Reflect Rescue Media USB Not Booting

Reflect Rescue Media USB Not Booting: Made Reflect (free) USB rescue Media as per the instructions. Process finished successfully. USB plugged into a USB slot on the back of the machine. My computer MoBo Asus M4A88T-M (purchased 2011), non UEFI. BIOS set to "removable media" 1st choice boot and HDD 2nd choice....
  10. Macrium: Rescue Media

Macrium: Rescue Media: Having turned to Macrium for daily backups, I have created a Rescue Media DVD. When testing to see if it would boot (as Macrium advise). I was unable to choose which of the options offered was correct. Attached is a clip of my boot menu with the DVD in its tray. Oddly, the...