Windows 10: Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again

Discus and support Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there This "update in place" mechanism is a PAIN if it fails during the process -- this means you actually have to restore the previous image of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Oct 22, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again

Hi there

This "update in place" mechanism is a PAIN if it fails during the process -- this means you actually have to restore the previous image of your OS (if you have one), remedy the error and start again.

Mine failed because I was nearly out of HDD space for the OS so it ran out of space. OK I restored the OS from an image, used GPARTED to increase the partition size and then OK started again. OK this time.

Now in the "REAL WORLD" there will be many people who could be rendered with an inoperative computer if the update in place fails and there isn't an automatic roll back or the roll back fails. Some people (probably MOST who aren't on these forums) STILL don't take regular reliable backups !!! - Idiotic I know but true. !!

Having an ISO would eliminate a lot of this - just wipe your HDD and install clean -- what's wrong with that idea.

(I know currently there are some get around's on this (Kari's tutorial for example) but the average user won't do that of course).cre

The update in place is a DOG on VM's too - probably worse than on a REAL machine - especially if you run out of HDD (Virtual) disk space for the OS. You need to backup the image of the VM, Create a NEW VM and then restore it !!. You can't just image the OS or copy the Virtual Disk files.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 22, 2014

2. please bring back Cortana

Hi,

I have read that 5 people, and a total of 10 up votes (not including me), want Cortana back in Windows 10 Education editions. Why don't you bring it back???

Windows 10 was Awesome

Windows 10 is Awesome 2016, Oct 22, 2014
  3. please bring back Cortana

Hi,

I was wondering can you please bring back Cortana on Windows 10 Education. I upgraded my homeschool computer because they recommended that I do it and gave me the download link and the activation code. When I was done installing windows 10 from windows 7
    Cortana worked the first time it was on with windows 10 and after that Cortana didn't work. I am mad, the school said that one of the things you should recommend to upgrade was Cortana I went to this site Personal Digital Assistant - Cortana Home Assistant - Microsoft and
    clicked on launch Cortana and all it did was this:
    Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again [​IMG]

Please bring back Cortana, it wasn't my choice to choose Windows 10 Education. I like Cortana to set reminders for me so I can go on my classes at the correct time.

Windows 10 is Awesome 2016, Oct 22, 2014
  4. Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again

Good idea to have the option of this to download it

The only problem is would this work ok for the average user, I cant see many wanting to download an ISO, clean install and then install/setup all their apps again

IMO, the in place upgrades/updates as they are now are best for the average user, for more technical the ISO could be offered

paulsalter, Oct 22, 2014
  5. Edwin New Member
    With Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant, most average users didn't know enough to choose the "Save as ISO for installation later" option either, but it would be nice for them to run the updates/upgrades like that always.

Edwin, Oct 22, 2014
  6. z3r010 Win User
    z3r010, Oct 22, 2014
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    ^^^^ Pretty much this, Microsoft should always make an ISO available (particularly for major updates) for people who want to do a clean install. What quite often happens is a family member or friend (or tenforums member) will end up doing it for them. Having an ISO that can be downloaded, saved to DVD/USB stick, then used on multiple machines is the best way.

ARC1020, Oct 22, 2014
  8. Rickkins Win User

Rickkins, Oct 22, 2014
  9. badrobot Win User

Most users buy PCs with pre-installed OS. Those are the targetted users for this type of upgrade. Those are the people who probably don't mess around with partitions.

And then there's us who likes playing with these OSes. If one chose to build his own PC and install his own OS, it is safe to assume that he has knowledge about PCs and knows how to go through and recover from a mess.

I created the ISO last night and it took me about 15mins.

I do hope MS considers the idea of releasing ISOs on each upgrade. But being creative with the help of forums like this is what fun is all about. *Smile

badrobot, Oct 22, 2014
  10. Burgurne Win User
    Burgurne, Oct 22, 2014
  11. Kari Win User
    I think Microsoft is not only testing new features of Windows UI but also testing a new distribution method for upgrades. Of course the normal install media be it a DVD or ISO download from Store will be available for Windows 10 when it's finally released but now, the testing phase with Tech Preview, they test the upgrade delivery, too.

The method they have chosen is in fact quite good; the ESD file is highly compressed, in case of Build 9860 the ESD file is 1.1 GB or 30% smaller than the ISO created from it:

MS used the ESD (Electronic Software Delivery) file format first time in Windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade and is now apparently testing it further with Windows 10 Tech preview. I welcome this new upgrade method, 30% compression ratio is quite remarkable.

12. Wasn't the no ISO deliberate, this time around, so they could test the upgrade process? That's the gist of what I've been reading anyway. This way anybody that wants the new build pretty well has to do the upgrade. Well the average Joe anyway. As we can see somebody already figured out a way around it, if your doing more than one PC.

alphanumeric, Oct 22, 2014
  13. Saltgrass Win User

I pretty much agree with the sentiment of a continuing update process as opposed to new OS releases as the way future upgrades will be handled.

It might be nice to have the Source files, especially since we all saw what a mess the 8 to 8.1 upgrade was because of that process.

But who is to say future upgrades would even be a full version of the OS, so having an .iso would do you no good.

If Microsoft does go to a online periodic upgrade, possibly paid for, I have no idea how they would implement that. I just know, I don't really like the idea of a yearly lease since that would basically force you to buy a new OS ever 3 years, depending on the yearly cost. But we can only speculate for now, such as would Microsoft offer to backup your system online, for a small fee. *Wink

Saltgrass, Oct 22, 2014
  14. Tews Win User
    The ISOs are all over the web, in the usual places, but I would not risk using these! You might get more than you bargained for... *Wink

15. Kari Win User
    Upgrade one machine to Build 9860, then create your own ISO to be used for clean install: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Thema:

1. Ms PLEASE bring back ISO's again - Similar Threads - PLEASE bring ISO's

2. Please bring back the Windows Mobile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please bring back the Windows Mobile: I am waiting for Windows 11 mobile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-bring-back-the-windows-mobile/efaf7a36-2789-44f3-88c8-dae1e50f91a6
  3. Please bring back the Windows Mobile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please bring back the Windows Mobile: I am waiting for Windows 11 mobile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-bring-back-the-windows-mobile/efaf7a36-2789-44f3-88c8-dae1e50f91a6
  4. Please Bring Back This Slideshow Option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Bring Back This Slideshow Option: I just recently got a Windows 11 laptop, and I'm really irritated that the option for slideshows was removed. To specify, I'm talking about the one where you can open up a picture folder, and up on the toolbar I think that's the right term there was an option to start a...
  5. Please Bring Back This Slideshow Option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please Bring Back This Slideshow Option: I just recently got a Windows 11 laptop, and I'm really irritated that the option for slideshows was removed. To specify, I'm talking about the one where you can open up a picture folder, and up on the toolbar I think that's the right term there was an option to start a...
  6. Please bring back Aero Glass!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Please bring back Aero Glass!: Lots of people are complaining, it's not just me, but please bring back full transparency, it looked so awesome in Windows 7! It is literally the sole reason why Windows 7 is my best operating system, and not only that, just go search up "aero glass Windows 10", look at how...
  7. When will MS bring back Homegroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When will MS bring back Homegroup?: I have a simple home network: desktop, my laptop, my wife's laptop. I cannot get them all to see one another. Sorry, but I do not have the patience to go into arcane setting and services to adjust 150 setting options. This seems to be among the most obvious things an...
  8. Please bring back Windows Vista or 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Please bring back Windows Vista or 7: Hello. Windows Vista was best and most beautiful OS made ever by Microsoft. Vista has ended support in April 2017. Succesor of Vista, Windows 7, was worse, because it was removed avaibility to select visual style and is removed very good programs like Windows Calendar, Photo...
  9. Windows Refs file system -- mega improvement PLEASE BRING IT BACK Ms

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Refs file system -- mega improvement PLEASE BRING IT BACK Ms: Hi there restored an old W8.1 system so I could create a 3 HDD storage space thing to REFS. Then restored W10 pro system. It still had the HDD's as REFS -- I had to do it that way as W10 has removed REFS file creation although read/write still supported. Even over a 5GB...
  10. Ms please bring back W8 search !!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Ms please bring back W8 search !!!: Hi there I have to agree with other posters who say the current W10 search is an absolute DOG - also the fact that I can hardly read the start menu (text size for me too small and I've found no way so far of being able to increase the size of the start menu itself - other...