Windows 10: Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV

Discus and support Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi folks I know a lot of people disagree with my thoughts on the current state of 3rd Party A/V systems these days on Windows 10 (ON HOME --not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jimbo45, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV

Hi folks

I know a lot of people disagree with my thoughts on the current state of 3rd Party A/V systems these days on Windows 10 (ON HOME --not CORPORATE type computers) but people should perhaps read this to see where the next generation of protection is coming from :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ntivirus-tests

Also follow the link in the article to : Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (Microsoft Defender ATP)

I'm currently perfectly happy with WD and nothing else -- and it is updated very frequently indeed so is far more likely to be up to date than anything else --especially with loads more Windows builds appearing almost weekly.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2019
  2. Le Boule Win User

How can i turn Windows Defender off?

Your installed AV program should disable WD. Did WD "re-enable" after the Creator Update?

Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling your AV program and see if that will shut down WD?

As you know WD is part of the Win 10 OS and cannot be installed.

Did you try the steps listed in Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10?

No, I do not work for MS and I have not yet been offered the Creator's Update.

Good luck...

Le Boule, Aug 13, 2019
  3. malware Win User
    WD Introduces 3.5-inch AV Hard Drive Family

Western Digital Corp. today announced a new family of hard drives for audio and video recording products, one of today's fastest growing digital storage markets. Drawing on its expertise as a leading supplier to major consumer electronics and surveillance manufacturers worldwide, WD has designed its new 3.5-inch WD AV hard drives with technologies that provide the increased reliability, cooler and quieter operation and low power consumption required for these demanding environments. The WD AV drives in capacities ranging from 80 GB to 500 GB are available through the company's distribution network.

Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV wdfCE_SATA_AVJS_thm.jpg

"WD has been a high-volume supplier of best-in-class drives to our video recording OEM customers since the digital video recording market was in its infancy," said Jim Welsh, vice president and general manager, Branded Products and Consumer Business units. "As the market for drives designed specifically for these applications has expanded, so has the number of end-product manufacturers worldwide. The best way to serve this diverse and growing customer base is to offer our new WD AV drive directly and through our distribution network."

WD AV Hard Drives
    The high capacities, high reliability and cost effectiveness of hard drive technology have enabled a range of audio and video recording applications, including digital set-top boxes, personal video recorders, IP gateways and mainstream surveillance systems. These applications, which often demand 24x7 operation from hard drives, have different requirements than personal computers, such as higher reliability, universal compatibility, low power consumption and the ability to simultaneously record multiple audio and/or video streams. Consumer applications such as set-top boxes and DVD recorders place additional demands on hard drives to consume less power, generate less heat and operate quietly.

Reliability That Can Be Counted On
    With advanced features, WD AV hard drives are built specifically to operate in 24x7 environments, where the drive is always on, streaming audio and video content. WD AV drives are rated for reliability at one million hours MTBF, which is higher than standard desktop drives.

WD AV drives incorporate WD's ramp load feature, which parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is not operating. Contrary to drives without ramp load, the feature in WD AV drives improves non-operational shock tolerance and ensures that the recording head never touches the disk surface, reducing head and surface wear and enhancing long-term reliability.

WD's preemptive wear leveling (PWL) frequently sweeps the drive arm across the disk to reduce uneven wear on the drive surface, which is common in audio-video-streaming applications.

Smart Power Reduction
    WD's unique IntelliSeek technology proactively calculates an optimum seek speed to eliminate hasty movement of the actuator that produces noise and requires power, which is common in other drives. With IntelliSeek, the actuator's movement is controlled so the head reaches the next target sector just in time to read the next piece of information, rather than rapidly accelerating and waiting for the drive rotation to catch up. This smooth motion reduces power usage of WD AV hard drives by more than 60 percent compared with standard drives, as well as quiets seek operation and lowers vibration. Additionally, the ramp load feature reduces power consumption during spin up and the drive's electronics have been optimized to save power for audio and video applications.

Quiet as a Mouse
    In addition to the sound-reducing properties of IntelliSeek and ramp load, WD utilizes multi-stage formed stainless steel top covers and precision-designed base castings that minimize sound levels for consumer sound-sensitive applications. The result is WD AV drives emit less than one sone, which is virtually below the threshold of human hearing.

High Definition Multitasking
    Smooth audio-video recording and playback of today's high-definition content is essential for consumer PVR applications. The SilkStream technology in WD AV drives effortlessly delivers those qualities in as many as 12 simultaneous high-definition streams1 and is based on the industry-standard ATA specification for universal compatibility. Mainstream surveillance video recorders save images at a slower pace than high-definition video, and in that application WD AV hard drives record up to 16 standard-definition streams.

Compatibility
    To ensure broad compatibility, WD AV drives have been tested in a wide range of audio and video products including set-top boxes, DVD recorders and mainstream surveillance systems.

WD AV drives are currently available with EIDE and SATA interfaces in capacities ranging from 80 GB to 500 GB through WD's worldwide distribution network.

Source: Western Digital

malware, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV

Upgrading to creators update stops at 30% and reverts

Steps to take:

1. In device manager disable nVidia display adapter if you have also Intel graphics there
    2. Do a FULL disk Cleanup on C drive
    3. In Task Manager disable ALL Startup items
    4. In C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads delete ALL Files and folders
    5. In System Configuration disable ALL NON MS services
    6. Reboot
    7. In Windows defender manually update virus definitions
    8. In Windows defender and all other AV apps, disable ALL AV capabilities
    9. Try to Update again
    10. If update succeeded, then enable AV, startup items, NVidia display adapter(should be online already) and non Windows Services you disabled.

If you need screenshots or help with any of the steps and where to find the right tool for the right job, then drop us a line. Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV :)

slicendice, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV

1. Ms WD is DEFINITELY next generation AV - Similar Threads - DEFINITELY next generation

2. Next generation windows phones

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Next generation windows phones: Will Microsoft ever work on new generation of windows phone? It was a great experience for me, especially the unique tile based interface metro look. I would like to see the comeback of Microsoft in smartphone business powered by Windows OS. Since the company is trying to...
  3. Next generation windows phones

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Next generation windows phones: Will Microsoft ever work on new generation of windows phone? It was a great experience for me, especially the unique tile based interface metro look. I would like to see the comeback of Microsoft in smartphone business powered by Windows OS. Since the company is trying to...
  4. Arm announces next generation Armv9 architecture

in Windows 10 News
    Arm announces next generation Armv9 architecture: News highlights: The new Armv9 architecture will form the leading edge of the next 300 billion Arm-based chips Advances specialized processing built on the economics, design freedom and accessibility advantages of general-purpose compute Delivers greater performance,...
  5. Is it possible to slipstream AV definitions into the Win 10 ISO image?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to slipstream AV definitions into the Win 10 ISO image?: Over the past few weeks I've put together a library of quite a few Windows 10 ISO images with various unattended setup configurations. I've also written a script that automates the whole process of adding the latest Windows updates to ALL my ISO images automatically. However,...
  6. NEXT PIACTURE IN MS PHOTOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NEXT PIACTURE IN MS PHOTOS: To make MS photos show me the next arrow, I copied all of my photos from the original folder. Made a new folder and pasted all of my photos into it. Deleted the original folder and replaced it with the new folder and now I get the next arrow....
  7. Next-generation web apps for education

in Windows 10 News
    Next-generation web apps for education: Just a short time ago, the new Microsoft Intune for Education was announced for teachers and technologists to manage devices, accounts, and apps for students. Since that time, we’ve heard from a number of developers and app publishers who work in education, who have questions...
  8. The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The next generation of Windows: Windows 10: [img] Today I had the honor of sharing new information about Windows 10, the new generation of Windows. Our team shared more Windows 10 experiences and how Windows 10 will inspire new scenarios across the broadest range of devices, from big screens to small screens to...
  9. Introducing a preview of the next generation of Skype for Linux

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing a preview of the next generation of Skype for Linux: Great news for Skype for Linux users—the next generation of Skype for Linux is launching! Starting today, you can download Skype Preview for Linux and start enjoying new features across all your devices—including screen sharing and group chat. Bring calls to life and...
  10. Introducing the next generation of Skype

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing the next generation of Skype: Life is busy and filled with too many options. Staying connected, with all this noise, can sometimes be challenging. And in a world of choice, having a familiar place to share with the people who are closest to you, can go a long way. Today, we are introducing the next...