Windows 10: MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update

Discus and support MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've seen several posts none newer than a few months/years old where people have had the MSN webpage pop up on startup. I am having this problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeapingTortoise, Apr 28, 2020.

1. MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update

Hi,

I've seen several posts none newer than a few months/years old where people have had the MSN webpage pop up on startup. I am having this problem that started immediately after the 1909 update earlier this month.

Behaviour:

- On startup Windows will launch my default browser and open msn.com

- This occurs regardless of browser. Firefox is my default but if I change to Edge or Chrome as the default the page opens in these browsers.

Attempted remedies none successful:

- Changing my home page It never has, nor will ever be 'MSN' I changed it from 'Blank' to google.com and restart.

- Opening 'Startup' tab from task manager - no tasks that would launch either a browser, or a webpage

- Opening 'shell:startup' folder from the Run. No items present

- Checked 'Services' in msconfig. No non-microsoft services to explain behaviour. I did browse the microsoft based services but it's possible I did not recognise a service

- Modified registry key for 'EnableActiveProbing' HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet as suggested on other threads does not fix the issue.

- I've run a scan which did not detect any threats via Windows Security Center.

None of the above works.

Given this started immediately after an update I'm thinking that there is some setting somewhere which is doing this, rather than being a malware issue. Any help in working out why this is happening would be great.

Thanks in advance!

:)

LeapingTortoise, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Stop MSN as Home Page

You do not mention which browser you are talking about, I assume Edge.

It is really simple to set any site or sites to open when Edge is launched. Simply select Open Microsoft Edge with specific page or pages, and add sites in that order you will see them when you launch Edge:

MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update [​IMG]

That's it:

MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update [​IMG]

Tutorial:Microsoft Edge Startup Page - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

3. Vonzipper Win User
    Stop MSN as Home Page

I found out how to do this. I have tried different versions on changing settings and home pages and discovered when you try to set a new home page, what Windows 10 does is to add the new address as a tab at the top of the page but still opens with MSN. What the sites have not said is that the MSN address is still there and is top in the list. It is an address that has the word about in it. It would not let me move that address to the bottom of the list and the only way I got my Google homepage that I wanted was to click on the X to the right of the about address and delete it. Now when I open up, my desired home page comes up and I don't have to look at MSN's bias headlines.

Vonzipper, Apr 28, 2020
  4. MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update

Edge automatically launches Bing page on startup

I tried this. When I do this, the only things on the list are Realtek HD Audio Universal Service, Logitech Download Assistant, McAffee Security Startup, Microsoft OneDrive, Realtek WOWL Utility, and Windows Security notification icon. Edge is not on the list. Is there anything else I can try? Thank you!

scooter60624, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update

1. MSN Home Page Launches on Startup after Windows Update - Similar Threads - MSN Home Page

2. msn home page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    msn home page: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-white-lives-matter-member-used-molotov-cocktails-on-church-in-attempt-to-stop-drag-shows-authorities-say/ar-AA19qE4F?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=04c84544851949a0a8683f3bd41341ed&ei=37what has ha[ppend to my home page...
  3. msn home page

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    msn home page: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-white-lives-matter-member-used-molotov-cocktails-on-church-in-attempt-to-stop-drag-shows-authorities-say/ar-AA19qE4F?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=04c84544851949a0a8683f3bd41341ed&ei=37what has ha[ppend to my home page...
  4. Remove content on msn home page

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove content on msn home page: I cannot remove sections from the MSN home page. There is no edit button or other mechanism to do so -- anywhere. For a while the sections were showing "new things coming..." but that's gone now. Also nothing showing in My Account to customize the home page....
  5. Remove content on msn home page

Remove content on msn home page: I cannot remove sections from the MSN home page. There is no edit button or other mechanism to do so -- anywhere. For a while the sections were showing "new things coming..." but that's gone now. Also nothing showing in My Account to customize the home page....
  6. MSN Home Page

MSN Home Page: Why can I not get My Homepage? When I click on my homepage button I get random cities in my state and all topics, not my selected home location and topics. It does not matter what browser I use....
  7. MSN Home Page

in Windows 10 Customization
    MSN Home Page: Why can I not get My Homepage? When I click on my homepage button I get random cities in my state and all topics, not my selected home location and topics. It does not matter what browser I use....
  8. MSN Home Page

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. msn home page not loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    msn home page not loading: msn home page will not load and when it does no pics https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-home-page-not-loading/6e10f6c0-38d8-47b2-8b40-94fb9b523b28
  10. Stop MSN as Home Page

in Browsers and Email
    Stop MSN as Home Page: I found out how to do this. I have tried different versions on changing settings and home pages and discovered when you try to set a new home page, what Windows 10 does is to add the new address as a tab at the top of the page but still opens with MSN. What the sites have not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. msn start page url