Windows 10: Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge

Discus and support Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge How to Change Microsoft Edge Startup Page in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge

How to: Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge

How to Change Microsoft Edge Startup Page in Windows 10

Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the modern Web.

The startup web page is the web page that will open by default at the startup of Microsoft Edge.

This tutorial will show you how to change the startup page of Microsoft Edge to what you like for your user account in Windows 10.

Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge [​IMG]
    Note The startup page of Microsoft Edge is stored in the DWORD and binary values in the registry keys located below.

You can export them as a .reg file, and only merge the .reg file on the same PC. Merging the .reg file that was exported from one PC will not work on any other PC.

Code:
    ProtectedHomepages - Binary value

Code:
    Enabled - DWORD

EXAMPLE: Microsoft Edge Start page

Here's How:

1. Open the Microsoft Edge app.

2. Click/tap on the Settings and more (Alt+X) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (start page), step 5 (new tab page), step 6 (previous pages), or step 7 (specific page(s)) below for what you want Microsoft Edge to open with.

4. To Open Microsoft Edge with the Start page
    A) Click/tap on General on the left side, select Start page in the Open Microsoft Edge with drop down menu on the right side, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Open Microsoft Edge with the New tab page
    *note This would be the new tab page below.

A) Click/tap on General on the left side, select New tab page in the Open Microsoft Edge with drop down menu on the right side, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Open Microsoft Edge with with your Previous pages
    *note This would open the previous tabs that you had open when you closed Microsoft Edge last.
    A) Click/tap on General on the left side, select Previous pages in the Open Microsoft Edge with drop down menu on the right side, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Open Microsoft Edge with Specific Page or Pages of Your Choice
    A) Click/tap on General on the left side, select A specific page or pages in the Open Microsoft Edge with drop down menu on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Enter a URL you want, and click/tap on the Save (floppy disc) icon. (see screenshot below)

C) To add more pages, click/tap on the + Add new page link, enter a URL, and click/tap on the Save (floppy disc) icon. (see screenshot below and above)

D) To remove a page, click/tap on the X of a listed page. (see screenshot below)

E) To edit the URL of a page, click/tap on the edit (pencil) icon, edit the URL, and click/tap on the Save (floppy disc) icon . (see screenshot below and above)

F) When finished, go to step 8 below.

8. When finished, you can click/tap anywhere on the web page in Microsoft Edge to close settings.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jun 29, 2015
  2. Don Varnau, Jun 29, 2015
  3. How to eliminate Google as preset page?

You change the Homepage in Internet Explorer 11 the same way as previous versions.

Internet Options> (General tab)> Home page.

Edge:

Microsoft Edge Startup Page - Change in Windows 10

Don

Don Varnau, Jun 29, 2015
  4. CPinnegar Win User

Do we have the registry info for setting a URL as the start page?

CPinnegar, Feb 25, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello CPinnegar,

I'll look into it, and will post back when/if able. *Smile

Brink, Feb 25, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok @CPinnegar. OPTION TWO added for .reg file options. *Smile

It saves the startup page in the ProtectedHomepages binary value, so manually editing the registry for a custom URL page won't work. Instead, you could set it to the URL you want using OPTION ONE, then export the registry key in OPTION TWO as a .reg file to be able back up and merge on any PC to set.

Brink, Feb 25, 2016
  7. CPinnegar Win User
    That's excellent - thanks Brink!

CPinnegar, Feb 27, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Feb 27, 2016
  9. oneLess Win User
    I can confirm that ,
    but , this will work OK only on the same computer where you grab the registry value [ProtectedHomepages]

on other(s) computer , after applying reg tweak , with or without restart
    after you will open edge , will get a message
    and edge really do that no matter you have setted before applying registry tweaks.

at least here , on 2 of my test computers.

after that , I did same settings on 2 computers and
    the values in ProtectedHomepages value are extremely very different.
    I suppose the hard coded value count somehow on user SID or something like that .

any other ideas ?

c

oneLess, May 2, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello C, *Smile

Thank you for pointing this out. It appears that there's some sort of hash check built in to the value preventing the .reg file from working on any other PC than the one it was exported on.

I removed OPTION TWO, but added a note at the top of the tutorial for those that wish to export and merge on the same PC.

Brink, May 2, 2016
  11. Novato Win User
    My computer has updated to the Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 OS Build 14393.51 update today, and now whenever I search in a new tab in Edge the search goes briefly via the following URL:

New tab page

My default search engine in Edge is Google, and it does end up here after diverting via the above. Please can you advise if you have any ideas or suggestions how to disable this? *Confused

Many thanks!

Novato, Aug 18, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 18, 2016
  13. Novato Win User

Thank you Brink,

Appreciate your welcome and your prompt response - I have appreciated your advice on this forum in the past, especially with the registry fix for choosing where to save downloaded files from Edge!

I have checked my Edge settings, and they are as follows:
    • Open Microsoft Edge with new tab page
    • Open new tabs with a blank page

So I can't see any reference to MSN here... it even diverts via this URL if you click on a saved favourite site!

Glad of any further advice or suggestions please.

Novato, Aug 19, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 19, 2016
  15. Novato Win User
    Thanks Brink,

That's good advice, but I'm a bit slow to do this as I'm hoping that Edge is working more reliably since the latest update, plus I don't want to have to lose all my saved passwords/favourites/settings!

I'll watch this space to see if anyone else has the same bug.

Novato, Aug 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Change Startup Page in Microsoft Edge - Similar Threads - Change Startup Page

2. MS Edge startup page cannot be changed after 21H1

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge startup page cannot be changed after 21H1: Hi ALL, I just got updated to 21H1 and all is ok except i now find that when starting MS Edge instead of going to the page I've specified (news.google.com) it starts up at the MS Start page. If I click on the Home icon it does go to the page I want but not when Edge starts...
  3. MS Edge startup page cannot be changed after 21H1

in Windows 10 Support
    MS Edge startup page cannot be changed after 21H1: Hi ALL, I just got updated to 21H1 and all is ok except i now find that when starting MS Edge instead of going to the page I've specified (news.google.com) it starts up at the MS Start page. If I click on the Home icon it does go to the page I want but not when Edge starts...
  4. Microsoft Edge startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Edge startup: How do I stop Microsoft Edge opening on windows 10 startup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-edge-startup/5aa682d6-a9b1-492b-af66-bfb57ca1bb59
  5. pc startup and edge home page

in Windows 10 Customization
    pc startup and edge home page: i keep on getting this error message poping up on my computer when i start it up vm8SdnJJB and when i go on my microsoft edge home page it put my screen in a white blank.what is this and how do i get rid of it...
  6. Edge automatically launches Bing page on startup

in Browsers and Email
    Edge automatically launches Bing page on startup: I did something to my computer and now every time I wake it up from sleep it automatically launches a Bing page on Edge that appears to be set to a search for the screen image that was on the startup page. It never did this before so I must have inadvertently changed...
  7. Edge automatically launches Bing page on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge automatically launches Bing page on startup: I did something to my computer and now every time I wake it up from sleep it automatically launches a Bing page on Edge that appears to be set to a search for the screen image that was on the startup page. It never did this before so I must have inadvertently changed...
  8. Edge Jumping to Startup Page

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Jumping to Startup Page: Occasionally I minimize Edge browser and when I maximize it, it jumps from the web page I was on when minimized to Edge start up page. I have Bing designated as start up when Edge opened. Any thoughts? 115735
  9. Edge startup page does not work

in Browsers and Email
    Edge startup page does not work: The Edge startup page ("top sites and suggested content") only shows a blank screen - see below Startup page worked immediately after Win10 update. On 8/1/15 MS tech ran CCCleaner in failed attempt to solve anti-virus notification errors, and since this, I have not been...
  10. Microsoft Edge Startup Page Profile Picture

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Startup Page Profile Picture: Hi, The upper right profile picture on the default Startup Page of Microsoft Edge doesn't update. It keeps displaying the first profile picture I used when I installed Windows 10. Maybe it's a detail for most of the people but being a nitpicker, and not being given any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Edge Start page registry

2. settings have moved startup page

3. regedit change-startup-page-microsoft-edge