Windows 10: Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep

Discus and support Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This regards a new system running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.1358. I don't think this is the Creator's version, but not sure. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep

This regards a new system running Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.1358. I don't think this is the Creator's version, but not sure.

I initially had some problems with the Sleep mode. The computer would go to sleep (with traditional blinking light) for a few minutes, then wake by itself and shut down completely. Enabling the Hybrid Sleep mode seems to have fixed this, but one sleep-related problems still remains.

When waking from sleep or, for that matter, starting from cold, the Lock Screen comes up (although it shouldn't, as described below), and hitting Enter there brings up the sign-in screen. But when I sign in, the computer either wakes (or starts) properly except that changes I have manually made to the Registry don't apply. If I log out and back in again (no restart, just log out/in), then everything is fine.

The changes to the Registry are pretty simple. One is to bypass the Lock Screen, which I detest and have tried to defeat both with a Registry change (NoLockScreen DWORD=1), and by using the Group Policy Editor. The other is to change the Application Window background color from white to something less glaring. The first fix, for the Lock Screen, works some of the time, but always, when waking from sleep, app windows are white and I have to do a Log Out and Log In to make the registry hack work.

There's only one account on this computer, otherwise I'd think that the wake-from-sleep account was using a different set of rules. If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks!

:)

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017

2. Laptop keyboard disconnected when rebooting

Windows 10 on HP Pavilion: When I reboot, I cannot enter my password PIN using the laptop keyboard- I must activate and use the on-screen keyboard. I have set the options to "Don't require password after sleep" but this doesn't work- I have to enter my PIN
    anyway.

My goals: (a) After reboot, the ability to enter my PIN from the keyboard (b) No requirement for password on wakeup after Sleep.

Michael in Atl, Jun 27, 2017
  3. Face-recognition not working after Windows 10 update 1709

Yep, exactly what i am seeing.

And I agree with your previous posting: The Webcam works fine with Zoom, Skype, and other apps and recognizes me on a reboot.

But won't log me in.

However, the face recognition works fine on a wakeup from hibernate/sleep.

Clearly a Microsoft problem...

PhilippeJeanjean, Jun 27, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  5. Thanks, Brink; saw that some time ago and made sure it was off.

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  6. One other thing I was wondering, which might have a bearing here: This computer was originally named "Lab" because it was supposed to replace a Win7 computer in an engineering environment. But for some reason the hardware on this Dell is not compatible with a development program... some USB issue... so it was repurposed for the office. I wanted to change the computer name, but that entailed creating a new Administrator account with the new name and copying a bunch of preference files from 'Lab' to 'Office' and then deleting the 'Lab' account. This proved too much of a hassle, so I dumped out of that and just deleted the new 'Office' account instead. Now, under Accounts, 'Lab' is the only one that shows. This does leave me wondering, however, if some vestiges of the old 'Office' preferences are still hanging around somewhere. With that account gone, and 'Lab' the only one showing, I would think that changes to the Registry should 'stick' for any log-on.

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    This is a long shot, but you might check to see if the account may be a member of the "Guests" group.

If it is, then remove the account from being a member of the "Guests" group, and make sure it's a member of the "Administrators" and "Users" groups.

*Arrow User Accounts - Add or Remove from Groups - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  8. Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep

That link went to a Win7 forum post, and I couldn't find equivalent boxes under Win10, but I did check the single account on this machine and it looks like an Administrator/User account for sure.

Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep [​IMG]

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you have Windows 10 "Home" installed, then you wouldn't have "Local Users and Groups" available.

You can type the command below into an elevated command prompt to see its Local Group Memberships.

net users Lab

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  10. It is Win10/Pro, but I did the Command Prompt thing anyway; here's what I get:

C:\windows\system32>net users Lab
    User name Lab
    Full Name Lab
    Comment
    User's comment
    Country/region code 000 (System Default)
    Account active Yes
    Account expires Never

Password last set 6/27/2017 7:19:01 PM
    Password expires Never
    Password changeable 6/27/2017 7:19:01 PM
    Password required No
    User may change password Yes

Workstations allowed All
    Logon script
    User profile
    Home directory
    Last logon 6/28/2017 12:07:59 PM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Administrators
    Global Group memberships *None
    The command completed successfully.

C:\windows\system32>

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  12. Was that recommendation to keep the Lock Screen from showing up? If so, I found out what that was all about. There's yet another way to inhibit the lock screen that I found on another group. You go to C:\Windows\SystemApps and find the entry: MicrosoftLockApp_cw5n1h2txycwy and rename it; putting .bak behind it is recommended. That works like a champ, except that Microsoft, those sneaky guys, evidently found a way to regenerate that item on the list! I found my original renamed entry (.bak) and a new one, from yesterday!

Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep [​IMG]

So, as you can see, I have now renamed the new one .backup and the Lock Screen stays gone. We'll see how long that lasts! If their ugly picture of rocks shows up again, then I'll implement your Customization Tutorial. Thanks for that one, haven't seen it elsewhere.

But back to the problem of the wakeup without the updated Registry value, I do have one more observation. With the Lock Screen disabled, when the Log-in Screen comes up from sleep, instead of a blank for the password there's a notification that a wrong password was entered. (Say, what?) So you click 'OK' and enter the password to start things going. This is not an issue when starting from cold; of course the Lock Screen shows, but when it's dismissed the blank for the password is there.

Actually, my desire to put the computer to sleep is based on my longtime experience with the Windows Vista system that it replaces. Boot took so long under Vista sleep was a necessity. But this Win10 machine boots so fast, I might as well just turn it off rather than put it to sleep. At least until enough MS Updates slow the boot process down over time. I truly appreciate your attention to this. Great forum!

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
  14. Okay, I followed your tutorial and now wonder if I should un-do the other means of bypassing the Lock Screen, or maybe they are just redundant and nonconflictive. I defer to your better judgment here.

On the matter of the password issue, no that box is already checked. So I don't know why I continue to get an Incorrect Password notification when waking up from sleep.

I have just put the system to sleep and awakened it again, just to check, and sure enough, my background color is messed up. But not 'universally.' Here's a screenshot of my Windows Live Mail program as it appears right now:

That greenish background ought to be behind the list of messages, as well as behind the text in the message that's overlaid. If I were to sign out and back in again, both areas would be green. The far-left pane, with the accounts shown, is always white. As it sits right now, the page color in MS Word is also white, it should be green as well, and will be when I sign out/in.

I got that Registry hack off another group, and it worked just fine under Vista, and seems to work here except when waking up from sleep. I did notice that there are registry color values that can be changed for a wide variety of things, and maybe I have to change others from white to my easy-on-the-eyes green. But something's hosed, for sure.

Electrojim, Jun 27, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It would probably be best to undo the option you originally used as long as the task is working for you.

As a test, uncheck the box, apply, and check the box and apply again to see if that may toggle the password issue to work properly.

I'm not sure what's going on with the color issue.

Brink, Jun 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Must log out and back in after wakeup from sleep - Similar Threads - Must log wakeup

2. BSOD on Wakeup from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD on Wakeup from Sleep: Hi I've had this problem for a few months. I've tried to fix it myself to no avail. I'd appreciate any help in fixing the problem.This problem started when I upgraded my storage on my desktop. I had to create a system image in order to copy it to the new NVM.e SSD device....
  3. BSOD on Wakeup from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD on Wakeup from Sleep: Hi I've had this problem for a few months. I've tried to fix it myself to no avail. I'd appreciate any help in fixing the problem.This problem started when I upgraded my storage on my desktop. I had to create a system image in order to copy it to the new NVM.e SSD device....
  4. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

Pc fail to wakeup from sleep: The "sleep" don't work on the system.It goes to sleep but when it comes back something is wrong and the system resets and restarts normally, but I lost everything I was doing !!!I'm with windows 20h2 v2, until a few days ago it worked.How can I solve? Of course windows is...
  5. BSOD after wakeup from sleep, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after wakeup from sleep, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116: HiKeep on getting BSOD 1-5 minutes after I start to use the computer in the mornings, also happens if I take a long break some hours and continue to work.Have tried many different things like reinstalling the graphic drivers, but so far I haven't managed to solve the...
  6. BSOD after wakeup from sleep, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

BSOD after wakeup from sleep, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116: HiKeep on getting BSOD 1-5 minutes after I start to use the computer in the mornings, also happens if I take a long break some hours and continue to work.Have tried many different things like reinstalling the graphic drivers, but so far I haven't managed to solve the...
  7. BSOD after wakeup from sleep, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE 116

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Laptop monitor not working after wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop monitor not working after wakeup from sleep: Hi, I have an Asus g14 with the latest windows 10 64. my laptop monitor won't work sometimes 3 times a week after sleep. Also if I keep the lid open for few minutes when this error happens my laptop starts to getting heat up. I updated all the graphic drivers but still the...
  9. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc fail to wakeup from sleep: The "sleep" don't work on the system. It goes to sleep but when it comes back something is wrong and the system resets and restarts normally, but I lost everything I was doing !!! I'm with windows 20h2 v2, until a few days ago it worked. How can I solve? ( Of course...
  10. BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - unexpected_store_exception after sleep wakeup or hybernate wakeup: I build new PC, and since beginning I'm getting randomly BSOD, when I wake up PC from sleep or hybernation. I run the chkdsk and also memtest, they both passed. Thx for help. The BSOD says: unexpected_store_exception the minidump is debugged below. Microsoft R Windows...