Windows 10: my surface pro 5 weird battery behavior

Discus and support my surface pro 5 weird battery behavior in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone I'm using surface pro 5 now and usually I can get around 5 hours of battery life. I've done everything to improve the battery life and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by friday20, Sep 30, 2019.

1. friday20 Win User

my surface pro 5 weird battery behavior

Hello everyone I'm using surface pro 5 now and usually I can get around 5 hours of battery life.

I've done everything to improve the battery life and I install the battery bar.

I discover that when my battery is above 50% ,discharge rate will be high like 20000mw or higher all the time no matter what am I doing and when the battery is below 50% ,discharge rate suddenly low like 2000mw or lower or higher up to task.

I underclock the CPU maximum to 90% and set everything to low as possible in power option ,disable service ,background app ,update driver etc.

I use windows 10 1903 build 18362.387

i5 7300u 4gb

I think the problem maybe the driver but which one ,that when its see my battery is above 50% its boost things up.

:)

friday20, Sep 30, 2019
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Surface Pro 3 battery display stuck at 99%

I completed the update from 8/29 available from the following links -

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/pro-3-battery-faq?os=windows-10&=undefined

Surface Pro 3 battery indicator issues (stuck at 99% & percentage never changes)

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...pro-3-update-history?os=windows-10&=undefined

• v38.10.90.0 corrects an error that may occur on a limited number of Surface Pro 3 devices where the full charge capacity of the battery is misreported to the operating system and device firmware. This update corrects the firmware component that functions
      as a "fuel gauge" so that the battery capacity is accurately reported. See Surface Pro 3 Battery FAQ for the 8/29/2016 System Firmware Update for more
      information.
    And the steps to start and restart twice after the installation.

I have used my Surface Pro 3 regularly and have had a total of 5 charging cycles.

I just installed the update on my affected Surface Pro 3. What should I expect now?

After you install the update and restart your Surface Pro 3 a second time, you'll immediately be able to start using it on battery again. Over the next five charge and discharge cycles, the gauge will stabilize
    as it relearns the actual battery capacity in your Surface Pro 3.

However my Surface Pro 3 battery icon still displays 99% battery life constantly and then shuts down unexpectidly without warning.

HELLO. MICROSOFT - The UPDATE did NOT work!

Is there any other resolution to this problem?

I have also completed factory resets of my device in the past as well as checking for updates to the battery drivers.

All of which have provided me no resolution to this persistent problem.

Its greatly frustrating!

Please help!

LauraW7514, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book - Feb. 13

Source: Updates for Surface Pro and Surface Book (13 February 2018) Surface

See also:

Brink, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

1. my surface pro 5 weird battery behavior - Similar Threads - surface pro weird

2. Surface 5 pro will not boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface 5 pro will not boot: Surface pro 5 will not boot up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-5-pro-will-not-boot/7887d0f7-82ca-47d7-840b-457528a033f2
  3. Surface 5 pro will not boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface 5 pro will not boot: Surface pro 5 will not boot up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-5-pro-will-not-boot/7887d0f7-82ca-47d7-840b-457528a033f2
  4. Surface 5 pro will not boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Pro 5: Doing the windows 11 update via USB it states that processor is not compatible. The computer is only 3 years old, not sure I would buy another if it is out of date that quick!Its not like it is a ASUS or Dell laptop, it is a Microsoft product. Why haven't you continued...
  6. Surface Pro 5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 5: Doing the windows 11 update via USB it states that processor is not compatible. The computer is only 3 years old, not sure I would buy another if it is out of date that quick!Its not like it is a ASUS or Dell laptop, it is a Microsoft product. Why haven't you continued...
  7. Microsoft surface pro 5

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft surface pro 5: Sorry this is a long one but please help! My first surface failed so my insurance gave me another one which im sure is a refurb. From first using it, i often had issues with turning it on. It seemed as though the power button just wouldnt respond and i'd have to hit it a...
  8. surface pro 7 battery

in Windows 10 Customization
    surface pro 7 battery: how do i see time remaining on my surface pro 7 battery? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-7-battery/13e8ff63-c362-4d57-b774-8cb70d054039
  9. Surface Pro 5

Surface Pro 5: Hi everyone! My Surface is stuck in an "infinite boot loop" I have done everything to try and fix it. I already tried to use the Recovery Media Tool on a USB, however, no drives come up when I try to reinstall windows. So, I then tried to manually create a partition drive in...
  10. Battery Issues on Surface Pro

Battery Issues on Surface Pro: Hi all, recently i just picked up a brand new Surface Pro 6 i5 8GB RAM, this laptop/tablet is extremely versatile and great. The only particular problems i am having now is the battery issue. I was just watching some youtube and the battery was draining like crazy. It went...