Windows 10: Need help to disable Cortana

Discus and support Need help to disable Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've disabled Cortana in the Group Policy, and restarted the PC, but still Cortana remains. When I used to have it disabled, a search icon appeared.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sleepless, Nov 4, 2016.

1. sleepless Win User

Need help to disable Cortana

I've disabled Cortana in the Group Policy, and restarted the PC, but still Cortana remains. When I used to have it disabled, a search icon appeared. Everything is disabled in the Cortana settings menu. Are there some other settings I should be aware of?

Need help to disable Cortana [​IMG]

:)

sleepless, Nov 4, 2016

2. help,regarding cortana

Need help with Cortana in India I want to disable Cortana in my Lumia 535 becoz it is running in background and using background data usage how to disable it I want to stop Cortana running in background please help,..... To,stop,.......

vinayranjan, Nov 4, 2016
  3. musicbaja Win User
    Cortana quit functioning

I can not turn on Cortana settings will NOT allow it to be turned on. It was active after initial update to win 10. I suspect it is another setting that has disabled it but can not find what that setting that may be that has disabled Cortana. No help
    found on net. what windows settings need to be turned on to allow Cortana to be functional or will disable Cortana?

musicbaja, Nov 4, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Neemobeer, Nov 4, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    You cannot since it is so tightly integrated with the OS. Even though there are previous attempts to completely disable Cortona, which replaces the old Windows Search feature that was an option in the past, but has been a part of Windows 8 & 10. Redstone 2 will make Cortona even a lot more integrated with the OS.

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  6. sleepless Win User
    sleepless, Nov 5, 2016
  7. sleepless Win User
    You're wrong.

I used UWT and now it's working fine.

sleepless, Nov 5, 2016
  8. tcebob Win User

Having difficulties with gpedit but would love to get rid of Cortana. What is UWT?

tcebob, Nov 5, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Actually it is correct and it came from Microsoft's own mouth. You can ask over at the Insider group that Microsoft runs. Cortana is an integral part of Windows 10. If you disable it, Microsoft updates will just reverse any changes to it, by Microsoft continuing to make sure that users do not break their Operating System.

You cannot turn off Cortana, you cannot remove it, you cannot disable it. It is a part of the Windows Search and Explorer. It is here to stay.

Now of course if you are talking about the whole Bing thing that is where it is saving any searches to your live account attached to Bing. You can stop that behavior by not using a Live account, but a Local and just disable all of the Telemetry and any other items in System that allows Windows to use Cortana to take you online for completing any searches.

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    UWT short for "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" from The Windows Club website. It can be dangerous in the wrong hands for those who think that it is there to make your life easier. It started out for XP to allow people to make adjustments that you had to do previously with a config file in Windows 95 & 98. Now people are using it to make wide changes to Pre-Fetch and Super Fetch, program handling. In turn they are breaking the OS.

You cannot get rid of Cortana, since it took the place of the original Windows Search that was part of the extras package. Now it is required for Windows 10 to do its searches. You can disable it from going out to Bing and saving your searches and also using the Yahoo search engine that Bing uses to send back results. You have to do that by using a Local account not a Live account.

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  12. tcebob Win User
    Bro67, thanks for the clarification. Always seeking ways to **** up my system, I've downloaded the program.

tcebob, Nov 5, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

Completely Uninstall Cortana.
    (Please read/listen to the warnings!)

[youtube]iEr1wcY4p-M[/youtube]

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help to disable Cortana - Similar Threads - Need help disable

2. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Cortana
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  3. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is disabled Please help: I need help whenever i go on Cortana it just says "Cortana is disabled" is there anything i can download to reset Cortana or something Please help me I need to use Cortana...
  4. Cortana is disabled Please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: Unless Microsoft can provide the kind of user interface that enables folks to STOP Cortana and STOP updating Defaults, it will be the last time I purchase a system with Windows; I will move to the superior OSes of some version of Linux. You folks should be ashamed and you...
  6. Need help with Cortana

Need help with Cortana: It would appear that some time back I deleted Cortana from my Windows 10. I want to reinstate it, can it be reinstalled? 142040
  7. Need help with Cortana Crash

Need help with Cortana Crash: While Cortana seems to work from the taskbar, when I try to open the app to access settings, the app briefly flashes a purple screen but quickly disappears. running Windows 10 build 18985, release 190913-1426, just updated today....
  8. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  9. Disable Cortana??

Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467
  10. Need Help with Cortana

Need Help with Cortana: Hello, I have a question on how to fix this. I have a Logitech Vx Revolution mouse and whenever I move the mouse, left click, or do any activity with it Cortana pops up. I thought maybe it was just the mouse, so I took it and plugged it into my dad's computer but it doesn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable cortana with uwt