Windows 10: Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues

Discus and support Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Okay, so long story short my dad worked for a company and had a company laptop. He is now retired from said company. He had personal files on that... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AlexanderM13, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues

Okay, so long story short my dad worked for a company and had a company laptop. He is now retired from said company.

He had personal files on that computer which he backed-up to an external hard drive.

Now when you access the external hard drive from his new computer, you cannot open those files because of permission control issues. Says he's not the "owner" and cannot do anything with the files. Even though these are personal photos and what-not.

Probably because it was a company laptop and it had it's files locked-down I'm guessing. Unfortunately that laptop has already been turned-in to his company and by now I'd imagine they've formatted it and given it to someone else. Point being that if there's anything we could've done from the old machine it's too late for that now.

I read that the permissions control has to do with Windows and with NTFS. I thought maybe if I copied them over to a FAT32 drive maybe it'd get rid of it but it also doesn't let me move or copy the files or anything. I'm not sure if I can even delete them without formatting the entire disk. No idea how to undo permissions control, I really don't mess with that part of Windows much.

Any ideas? My only other idea was to attempt using a totally different OS like a Linux distro to mess with them as I'm not sure if other non-Windows OSes are built to acknowledge Windows permissions controls.

If you're not willing to talk about it in a public forum then please at least PM me. I'd rather not have to tell him "Welp, looks like they're lost forever, sorry".

Thanks in advance.

:)

AlexanderM13, Apr 5, 2017
  2. Donna Men Win User

Network Sharing permission issues in Windows 10

Hi,

If you were able to set up the permission to full control then there shouldn't be issue with making any changes on folder. We suggest that you double check your network permission if the device you are using has full control to modify the folder.

If you can include a screenshot of the permission on the main computer then that would be helpful.

Let us know if further help is needed.

Donna Men, Apr 5, 2017
  3. Cobuchan Win User
    Need help with unhelpful help-link bug in Control Panel dialog boxes

Hi,

I have a Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home installed. I switched over from Mac last year and lack fluency in the Windows ecosystem. I think I would benefit from the help-links you find in various Control Panel dialog boxes, but unfortunately they don't seem
    to work properly. They never take me to the relevant page in the online help directory. Instead, they all redirect me to the same mute landing page. Example: take the following dialog box:

Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues [​IMG]

If I click on "Tell me more about power plans," I'm not taken to the expected topic. Instead, I'm dropped off here.
    The same goes every help/info hyperlink in every Control Panel dialog box.

Every tour guide promising to take me up the mountain instead abandons me in the hotel lobby. Not very helpful. Surely this isn't by design. So, is there a setting I need to change? Is my computer goofy? Is there a fix for this?

Sincerely,

Clueless-in-Yokohama

Cobuchan, Apr 5, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues

Samuria, Apr 5, 2017
  5. Okay thanks, I'll report back if there's any issues or if it succeeds.

6. Hmm, it seems that it's not quite that simple in this case. The "Take Ownership" tool didn't do anything that fixed the issue. I still get the error "User does not have access privileges".

Let me be a bit more descriptive - the files I'm trying to access have a little yellow padlock icon on them. Not sure if that helps any.

I mean, I've worked with permissions control at least enough to where I know how to change that setting. But in this case it's just not that simple - doing that seems to have no effect. I think these files are actually encrypted or something, which I'm not sure if there's anything to be done about.

I've already told him that, most likely there's nothing anyone can do and he'll probably need to get in touch with his company to have any chance of fixing this. Upon further research I think these files are encrypted with EFS and that he needs the key.

That being said he's retired and he said you're not supposed to save personal files to those directories anyway, so he might be boned I guess.

So it's playing out like I thought it would. When I first took a look at the laptop I said "If this were really just permissions control then I'd already be done, but this looks a bit different.. I'll do what I can, but I don't think they'd bother with it if it was that easy to undo. This is one of the world's biggest companies we're dealing with here, I highly doubt they'd secure their files in a way that a kid like me and some online forums can figure out."

...Well, unless you're Yahoo and storing people's passwords as unsalted MD5 hashes. Ha.

Thanks.

7. Upon talking with him more about it, he says he doesn't think they're encrypted because when he copied the files over to the external hard drive, something prompted him. Either he selected "don't encrypt" or the system was just telling him that the files wouldn't be encrypted.

However, the padlock icons are still on the files and even with that "Take Ownership" option it doesn't fix it. Upon attempting to open them you just get the "You don't have privileges" error.

Far as getting an encryption key goes, seems he's pretty resigned to just accepting it if that's really the case. Doubtful they'd help him and I don't think he even wants to ask. I figure these kinds of questions just make a guy sound fishy and he wasn't supposed to have personal files on it anyway so it's probably not a good idea to even ask.

If there's anything anyone can do I really appreciate it. Thanks.

Windows telling me to check my privilege. Ffs.

8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 5, 2017
  9. But that's just for fixing a cosmetic nuisance. In this case the files are still actually inaccessible.

10. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 5, 2017
  11. Bree New Member
    Taking ownership can sometimes just be the first step. You may then need to add your account to the list of those that have permissions and grant yourself full control. On the Security tab, to change permissions, click 'Edit', then click 'Add' to add your account.

12. Samuria Win User
    Can we get a screenshot of the folder showing file names and lock. Takeownership need to be run on the folders not the files starting with top folder

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need Help With Windows Permissions Control Issues - Similar Threads - Need Help Permissions

2. Need help resetting file permissions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help resetting file permissions.: So... my old pc died and I had to buy new parts and do a fresh install of windows. I forgot that one of my drives have permission lock i think? It has been quite a while. So when I open the videos it goes 'file not found' while it's obviously there it has duration and size...
  3. Need help resetting file permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help resetting file permissions.: So... my old pc died and I had to buy new parts and do a fresh install of windows. I forgot that one of my drives have permission lock i think? It has been quite a while. So when I open the videos it goes 'file not found' while it's obviously there it has duration and size...
  4. Need help resetting file permissions.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Need help resolving permission and ownership issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help resolving permission and ownership issues: Hi, I created a topic on this but the person helping me has stopped responding and no one has gotten back to me. I really need help with this as it is preventing me from being able to do things that I need with my stystem. Original topic...
  6. Need help resetting permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need help resetting permissions: I had a problem with some file encryption and accidentally messed up the permissions on my PC, I have been trying all day but I cannot access files on both of my drives. Would really like some help on quick assist since I have been trying for hours and already failed at all...
  7. need help Windows Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need help Windows Issue: so here's are my problem, so i've installed a win10 in my m.2 recently, everything went smoothly for a couple days and today just now it was booting up to an advanced repair and said that my windows os was not bootingup correctly. so i ran cmd and use chkdsk /r and a bunch...
  8. Need help with controller

Need help with controller: Is there a way to make the controller pair on startup? like without having to go on bluethoot settings remove the association and re connect it? So once i start windows 10 the controller is already paired and i can play at some games? submitted by /u/tyzerk_ [link]...
  9. Help I need permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help I need permission: Hi there everyone, I'm hoping I can find some help here I've really exhausted all my resources around me. So my problem is with file sharing. I got a second computer to put in my sound booth for recording and am trying to locally setup a shared folder between it and my main...
  10. Need help with permissions on new HDD

Need help with permissions on new HDD: I just installed a new 2TB SeaGate HDD as a storage drive to go along with my 256gb SSD and I am trying to make the drive writeable. I have put ownership of the drive under the administrator (me) but still when I add folders they are not writeable and I am unable to change...