Windows 10: Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

Discus and support Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 How to Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Axims, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Axims Win User

Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

How to: Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10

How to Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files and Folders in Windows 10

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and folders on NTFS drives to protect them from unwanted access. EFS enables transparent encryption and decryption of files for your user account by using advanced, standard cryptographic algorithms. Any individual or program that doesn't possess the appropriate cryptographic key cannot read the encrypted data. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows provides to help you keep your information secure.

When you encrypt a file or folder with EFS in Windows 10, its icon will have a lock overlay at the top right corner to indicate that it's an EFS encrypted file or folder.

This tutorial will show you how to customize or remove the lock icon overlay on files and folders encrypted by Encrypting File System (EFS) in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change or remove the EFS lock icon overlay.

*note If you have a custom 24x24 pixel .ico file you would like to share, then please feel free to upload and post it here.

EXAMPLE: Lock overlay on File or Folder icon encrypted by Encrypting File System (EFS)

Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the key at the location below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you do not have the Shell Icons key, then right click or press and hold on the Explorer key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type Shell Icons for the name, and press Enter.
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

4. Do step 5 (change/remove) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Change or Remove EFS Lock Icon
    *note Other than decrypting the file or folder to remove the lock icon, you can customize the icon to what you like below.
    A) In the right pane of the Shell Icons key, double click/tap on the 178 string value to modify it. (see screenshot below step 3)

*note If you do not have the 178 string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Shell Icons key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type 178 for the name, and press Enter.

B) Type in the full path of the custom .ico file you want to use, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Tip If you like, you can download and use a 24x24 pixel transparent.ico file here that will remove the EFS lock icon.

6. To Restore Default EFS Lock Icon
    A) In the right pane of the Shell Icons key, delete the 178 string value. (see screenshot below step 3)

B) Click/tap Yes to confirm, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Restart explorer to apply.

8. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Axims, Dec 31, 2015

2. Files on the desktop are always encrypted

Open the properties window of a file on desktop > click on advanced button in the general tab > check the 'Encrypt contents to secure data'

When you follow the above path, Windows asks you 'Do you want files on this path be encrypted always?' and if you say yes, a yellow lock icon would be appeared over files in
    that path, any new files or any modification makes the file encrypted if not already encrypted. How can I revert this? I want to disable encryption by default.

meNESS_642, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Joel-03 Win User
    Remove Encrypt contents to secure data enable all the time Windows 10

Hi and thank you for your reply.

• When did the issue start? About 2 months ago
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue? I was trying to encrypt a PDF file and I research on how to do it. I I got to encrypt the file (but it was just one file) and somehow after that everything is encrypted.
      Even when I create a Word, Excel document, when I save it in my desktop the yellow lock icon appears on the face of the file.
    • What web browser are you using? The issue applies to explorer, firefox and chrome
    • Does the issue occur when downloading a file using other web browsers? Yes
    Hi but I've discovered something. The lock icon only appears when I save or download files on the desktop. If I save or download the files on another folder, the lock icon does not appear.

My download settings for all browsers are to save them in my desktop. That is why when I download them they show the lock icon.

Any guess on how to avoid this happen?

Thank you

Joel-03, Dec 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Dec 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Change or Remove Lock Icon on Encrypted Files in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Remove Lock

2. Other way to lock file instead of encryption?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other way to lock file instead of encryption?: Is there any other way to lock files in windows 11 instead of encryption?Bcz encryption hides the files and after encryption we have to decrypt it.That's not good.Plz suggest any other way to lock files instead of encrytion....
  3. i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files: i recently upgraded to windows 10 by installing a new ssd and got rid of old partition of the old drive and after installation when i try to open some files in my old drive i cant access any of them neither any of them are corrupted but i think some certificate issue has...
  4. i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files: i recently upgraded to windows 10 by installing a new ssd and got rid of old partition of the old drive and after installation when i try to open some files in my old drive i cant access any of them neither any of them are corrupted but i think some certificate issue has...
  5. i cant open my files, encryption file system , lock icon appearing on files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File Explorer Encryption Removal

File Explorer Encryption Removal: Hello all, I am having troubles removing the file encryption from my documents folder within file explorer. It started when I was made aware that files could be encrypted within windows and so I tried to use this feature on one sub folder within documents. I was hoping for...
  7. To remove encryption of file

To remove encryption of file: My one of the folder is encrypted and error code 0x80071771 how to resolve. I changed operating system windows 10 instead of windows 10 pro Asking administrator permission. But I forgot administrator details and password Please let me know how to resolve this problem....
  8. File Encryption for Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File Encryption for Windows 10: I'm exhausted from trying to figure this out. When I click properties on folders and go to check the file encryption box, it's grayed out and doesn't let me check it. Does anyone know of a way I could encrypt my files or any (preferably free but I'll take any suggestions at...
  9. How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to encrypt files with EFS Encryption on Windows 10: [ATTACH] EFS Encryption is present in Windows OS out of the box. It is shipped together with BitLocker encryption that is also shipped out of the box. Though they work in the same manner, the main difference between the two is [...] This post How to encrypt files with EFS...
  10. Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10: How to: Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 How to Change File Sharing Encryption Level in Windows 10 File and printer sharing is the ability of a computer running Windows to share a folder or attached printer with other computers on a network. File...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Solution to why some of my files having a padlock on windows 10