Windows 10: Need to constantly restart to avoid crashing

Discus and support Need to constantly restart to avoid crashing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Sine I upgraded from Win 8 to 10, I find that I need to restart my laptop several times a day or else it begins to blank out and flicker and then crash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Daveb, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Daveb Win User

Need to constantly restart to avoid crashing

Sine I upgraded from Win 8 to 10, I find that I need to restart my laptop several times a day or else it begins to blank out and flicker and then crash altogether. I recently installed CCcleaner (the free version) to clean the cache and that seemed to help some but the problem still comes back, plus all my saved passwords get deleted. I have an HP Envy dv7 with 8 GB of RAM. This PC runs pretty well most of the time but when it begins to slow down and flicker, etc., then the problem starts. I do notice that this happens most often after I have been on the web for a period of time.
    Anyone have any ideas?

:)

Daveb, Jan 13, 2016

2. LOW GAME PERFORMANCE

I still need help with the Explorer.EXE crashing and restarting isssue, due to the Shell constantly crashing becuase of the faulty module ntdll.dll

Triple-AAY, Jan 13, 2016
  3. How do I regroup album tracks as albums not singles

Please note - to avoid any doubt the phrase 'The app constantly crashes' refers to the sync software not the bought and paid for podcast app. That works well.

confuseduser54, Jan 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.

Sounds like you need to perform some investigative work...

Check the system files to make sure they are intact:
    Run sfc /scannow from an administrative prompt.

Check for malware:
    Run Malwarebytes Antimalware Free. Update the definitions first. Be sure to go into settings and check the box for Rootkits, and keep all the other boxes checked as well. Then select a custom scan, and have it scan your C drive.

Check the health of your hard drive:
    Run DiskCheckup (free) and see if it shows any impending failure dates for the S.M.A.R.T. values of your drive.

Remove any toolbars installed in your browsers, and Reset Edge too (a bit more complicated).

Make sure Java, Flash and Silverlight are up-to-date, if they are installed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  5. Daveb Win User
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.[/QUOTE]

I tried all of the above and the problem persists. I've seen several posts here regarding video drivers and I am wondering if that may be the problem. I say this because the few games I play online seem to cause the problem to begin and sometimes so do videos.

Daveb, Jan 14, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I tried all of the above and the problem persists. I've seen several posts here regarding video drivers and I am wondering if that may be the problem. I say this because the few games I play online seem to cause the problem to begin and sometimes so do videos.[/QUOTE]

Possibly. Have you checked the HP website for the latest W10-supported drivers?
    You could also right-click on your graphics in Device Manager and select Update Driver to see if anything comes through Windows Update. Or, perhaps you could "rollback" the video driver (if that option is available). It also could be a heat problem, since you say it happens after a while on the Web, or games/videos. Have you tried a cooling pad? You might install Speccy and watch the temp of your CPU, GPU, HDDs etc....see if it happens when the temps rise.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need to constantly restart to avoid crashing - Similar Threads - Need constantly restart

2. Constant crashing and need a solve

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant crashing and need a solve: I'm currently running windows 11 and bought my new pc recently, and whenever I'm not running a game my pc will randomly crash and begin heating up despite the system already being off. I've checked window logs and it shows me the dialogue of "A provider, IntelMEProv, has been...
  3. Constant crashing and need a solve

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant crashing and need a solve: I'm currently running windows 11 and bought my new pc recently, and whenever I'm not running a game my pc will randomly crash and begin heating up despite the system already being off. I've checked window logs and it shows me the dialogue of "A provider, IntelMEProv, has been...
  4. Constant crashes - Need help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant crashes - Need help!: Hello,My new computer has constantly been crashing and receiving 'blue screens of death'. Sometimes the computer can run for hours without crashing or sometimes crash after 30 mins. I viewed in eventviewer the description of the most recent crash:-The computer has rebooted...
  5. Constant crashes - Need help!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant crashes - Need help!: Hello,My new computer has constantly been crashing and receiving 'blue screens of death'. Sometimes the computer can run for hours without crashing or sometimes crash after 30 mins. I viewed in eventviewer the description of the most recent crash:-The computer has rebooted...
  6. Constant crashes - Need help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Constant PC crashes and restarts

Constant PC crashes and restarts: I seem to have narrowed it down to anytime I plug in and play with any gamepad on my pc it will crash anywhere with in 5 minutes to an hour, there are 2 errors as well as an info event that pop up in the event viewer from this everytime.Info eventUMDF reflector is unable to...
  8. Constantly needing to restart explorer.exe

Constantly needing to restart explorer.exe: I was just wondering why this happened but I don't need answers it would just be good to know why it happened. So I just restarted my pcrunning Windows 10 and the problem went away or maybe it will come back after a bit idk but the problem was that I couldn't do anything on...
  9. File Explorer crashing and restarting constantly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer crashing and restarting constantly: File Explorer has started crashing the last few days and it's driving me up the wall. It hangs, then a progress bar starts creeping up the file location box, until everything disappears. During this process the pointer is a spinning blue circle and I can't click anywhere else...
  10. Computer is constantly crashing and restarting

Computer is constantly crashing and restarting: My computer was just fine and today I turn on my computer and a blue screen says "your pc ran into a problem. We'll restart for you. Error: system thread exception not handled" how do I fix this and get my computer back? Hoping someone can help. I don't even know how...