Windows 10: New install, select boot media

Discus and support New install, select boot media in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Installed win 10 pro N from USB. Using all my memory didnt work previously so I Installed 10 using minimal memory. Updated, installed programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChrisPbass, Aug 5, 2019.

1. New install, select boot media

Installed win 10 pro N from USB.
    Using all my memory didnt work previously so I Installed 10 using minimal memory. Updated, installed programs etc....browsed a bit.
    Shut,down, added new memory (it worked w win 7 for years but started acting weird, not showing up,etc....). Wouldn't,boot, shut down, pulled the added memory. Walked away
    Tried to boot this a.m.
    Asking me to select media.
    The SSD is New, Vaseky 500. Seemed to work fine yesterday. Installed the 1st time
    It shows up in BIOS and boots to the drive.
    Do I need to install again just to see if this a drive problem?
    I,am,def booting to it
    Sorry for short-type and spelling. Not a big phone typer and I cracked my screen yesterday :-/

:)

ChrisPbass, Aug 5, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Aug 5, 2019
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Aug 5, 2019
  4. New install, select boot media

Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

I start my computer but my screen isnt showing any options its just blank and i cant do anything

RyanBrunsonUC, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

New install, select boot media

1. New install, select boot media - Similar Threads - install select boot

2. reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: Sp a few days back my pc got blue screen error and since then It was only booting to bios and only windows boot manager was showing under boot sequenceI fixed the problem by turning on csm and my drives came back. Since then my pc gets the reboot and select the proper boot...
  3. reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press...: I have a problem with pc, any time I switch it on it says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key issue so I kept installing new windows three times to fix the problem , it didn't last for like a week it shows the same...
  4. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...: I've tried all sorts including professional YouTube help, basically I plugged a usb in my pc yesterday and it overrided my bootup sequence from my hard drive with Windows 10.When boots, I'm trying control, alt, delete / delete / f10,11,12 buttons and reset button but can't...
  5. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...: I've tried all sorts including professional YouTube help, basically I plugged a usb in my pc yesterday and it overrided my bootup sequence from my hard drive with Windows 10.When boots, I'm trying control, alt, delete / delete / f10,11,12 buttons and reset button but can't...
  6. Received: Reboot and Select proper boot device. Or Insert Boot Media in selected boot...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...
  8. USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files

USB Boot installation media - can't select USB in BIOS Select media files: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 with Windows 10 Home. It came with a 1TB hard drive and I recently bought a WD blue 3d nand sata SSD m.2 500gb on which I would like to install a new Windows 10 boot. I have been following the instructions of...
  9. Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot and select proper boot media in selected boot device: Title says it all. I just installed a new ssd drive and loaded W10 on it. All was working fine; W10 rebooted several times did updates rebooted and all was OK. I got to work connecting other drives and put case back together and then the no boot. I disconnected the other...
  10. select proper boot device or insert boot media

select proper boot device or insert boot media: Hi, I have been running a stationary computer (windows 10 pro) for about one year now. never failed before. Last night I upgraded, a rather large upgrade, duration 1 hour or more. After the upgrade the message on the screen is "select proper boot device or insert boot...