Windows 10: New laptop - problem with windows update

Discus and support New laptop - problem with windows update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I have a new HP laptop running windows 10 home. Its currently at 1709 16299.15. So i just started setting it up and I'm having problems with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by tomseys, Mar 16, 2018.

1. tomseys Win User

New laptop - problem with windows update

Hi. I have a new HP laptop running windows 10 home. Its currently at 1709 16299.15.

So i just started setting it up and I'm having problems with windows update it keeps downloading an update over and over and fails to install it. The update is KB4088776. Gives error message 0x80246010. There is also 8043 listed in history stating a restart is necessary but its been restarted 15 times.

I tried the troubleshooter, downloading the update manually (says its already installed) and brinks win update reset bat file. Nothing works.

Keep getting this over and over:

:)

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018

2. New laptop with windows 10. Set up problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Its unfortunate that you are facing this issue and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way.

Share this information to assist you better.

• Where are you trying set up the email account? Mail app or Outlook.com?
    • Are trying to create an alias in Outlook?
    As per the problem 2: The issue might have caused due to corrupted Windows update components.

A. Check whether the Windows date and Time set to Automatic and synced.

B. Disconnect all the peripheral devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

C. Update all your computer's drivers from manufacturer’s website.

D. Follow these steps to run the Windows inbuilt troubleshooter:

Method 1

I suggest you to perform the Windows Update troubleshooter and check the Windows Installer services status.

Step 1: Try to run the Windows update troubleshooter and check if it helps.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on search bar.

2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Then click on View All on the left panel of the screen.

4. Click on Windows Update.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter

Your reply is very important to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information to assist you accordingly.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Mar 16, 2018
  3. New laptop with windows 10. Set up problem

Problem1

Trying to setup email account, will not receive emails, page says 'not synced yet'

error message. 'cannot connect to imap.gmail.com' error code 0x80072ee2

I was able to add another account with a bigpond email address, this worked fine.

Problem2

I need to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. But I can't do that until Windows 10 is upgraded to the latest version.

Some auto updates happened yesterday, but all updates are frozen at 72% today

Any tips would be appreciated.

novice0063, Mar 16, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, 8043 is presumably this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...version-1709-d

No problems reported here:
    KB4058043 Store reliability improvements for Windows 10 v1709 - Windows 10 Forums

Certain updates (see the thread per update per build in the News section here) were reported as showing a restart was necessary, but were in fact successfully installed.

- Try uninstalling it first, then manually installing it.

When I experienced that with one, I uninstalled it (Control Panel) then reinstalled it (probably manually).

0x80246010 appears related to Windows Update but doesn't occur in the (very) big reference of Windows error numbers.

- presumably this:
    Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  5. tomseys Win User
    Sorry I meant KB4058043 regarding 8043.

I'll uninstall KB4088776 to see if I can reinstall it after restart though I think I tried already.

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    (Post above has been slightly updated- crossed with yours)
    You could try this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...troubleshooter

Windows 10 Updates fail - Spiceworks

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  7. tomseys Win User
    Ok so I uninstalled 8776 restarted and computer went into temp profile, restarted again and when into right account. Checked and it was uninstalled then I installed it through windows, it installed and then restart and it showing the same thing as above. I've tried that troubleshooter before I'll try it again.

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Try uninstalling it, then running Brink's script followed by Disk Cleanup, then restart, then installing it.

dalchina, Mar 16, 2018
  9. tomseys Win User
    Okay so I ran the troubleshooter it found some problems and fixed but didn't work. I ran the bat file, unblocked it, ran as admin restart and still showing the same thing. So I'll try new sequence that you gave.

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018
  10. tomseys Win User
    With disk cleanup, what should I be looking to clean? It's not offering windows update related files.

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018
  11. tomseys Win User
    I think I'm going to do a factory image restore and just start over. I'm pretty sure the updates did get interrupted which I guess led to this. Anyway, thanks for the help!

tomseys, Mar 16, 2018
  12. tomseys Win User
    Sorry to run off like that that I just lost patience with it. I had been working on it for a couple of hours before. I did a factory restore and all updates after were successful. I think what happened is I may have uninstalled some mcafee bloatware in the middle of the updates and mindlessly restarted and messed them up. Thanks a lot for your help dalchina.

tomseys, Mar 17, 2018
  13. dalchina New Member

That's ok. To defend yourself against anything from disk failure to bad updates and even -er- your own mistakes- which can happen! we urge users to routinely use disk imaging (Macrium Reflect (free) - or others- +external storage for disk image sets).

Given a disk image, you can restore Windows, your disk or partitions to a previously known working state quickly wthout technical help. This can save clean installing Windows.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2018
  14. tomseys Win User
    Yup I agree totally.

A week ago I did a dumb move and updated the bios on my HP-15 laptop... this bios deals with spectre. It turned my laptop into something unusable... very noisy fan, running hot and slow.

So I decided to rollback/downgrade the bios (which I thought was an option) and it turns out HP does not allow it with their bios in general especially if they have security fixes and this is a major critical security fix. In troubleshooting the issue initially, I tried to re-image the laptop but the image failed... it was missing something but as far as I recall when I tested it after doing it it was fine. So my Macrium backup failed - most likely I did something wrong. I keep all my files backed up on USB flash drive separate from this so this was not the end of the world in any case.

So in the end, I determined that the issue was either the new bios, hardware failure or dust but latter most unlikely. Could not disassemble laptop because could not undo screws near dvd drive....did compressed air.. tend to doubt that is issue because it came on suddenly coinciding with bios update.

So after a few windows resets, clean installs, downgrades to 8.1 and back up...and even trying to hack the earlier bios bin file to make it downgradable... spending probably 20 hours on it... I bought a new laptop... at first a lenovo.. returned it and got an HP again (this one that had windows update issue - I hadn't backed it up yet because it was so early in the setup).. the cheapest one they have with an AMD processor.. and I love it. I will make sure that backup images are correct this time and I will never update the bios again which is my usual rule.

tomseys, Mar 17, 2018
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hmm.. a bad experience you really don't want. My worst of 4 laptops now since Win 98 days was with Asus- mother board failed under warranty, then shortly afterwards. My current one (see specs) is actually by Clevo - designed for easy access with big removable back and good vents. Just don't like the USB slots on the right (vs mouse, and DVD drawer also on that side).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. New laptop - problem with windows update - Similar Threads - laptop problem update

2. New Laptop - Problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Laptop - Problem with Windows update: I recently got a new laptop. In the process of setting up the laptop, I tried to update the computer to the most recent version of Windows 11, and then when that would not install, the May 2021 Windows 10 update. After attempting to complete the May 2021 Win 10 update, the...
  3. New Laptop - Problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Laptop - Problem with Windows update: I recently got a new laptop. In the process of setting up the laptop, I tried to update the computer to the most recent version of Windows 11, and then when that would not install, the May 2021 Windows 10 update. After attempting to complete the May 2021 Win 10 update, the...
  4. New Laptop - Problem with Windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem With New Windows Update

Problem With New Windows Update: Hello! I'm a flash animator who strongly relies on adobe flash player, and there's this software that i use "SWF Decompiler" that uses adobe flash player, but with the new windows update the software doesn't run well, because it needs adobe flash player to preview SWF files...
  6. New laptop problem

New laptop problem: I bought a new laptop, and tried signing in to y windows, and it wont give me a reason. I tried connecting the device by registering it, and it says it doesnt recognize the serial number I try to login in on the new device and get this error 0x80190001 Please help...
  7. A problem with some laptops and the new update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A problem with some laptops and the new update: I can't make any directly cut screenshots anymore, and by that I mean that option that we have in the accessibility option, where when we activate it, it let us screenshot a specific part. Every time I try to screenshot something specific it decides to make an "empty"...
  8. Windows Update new problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update new problem?: Hello, since my recent update I saw that videos on youtube/dailymotion etc are darker, they look like they have low gamma... i was looking at settings, turned to use nvidia settings but still nothing, videos on facebook look normal, only on platforms like...
  9. Problems with the new windows update

Problems with the new windows update: Hello. I have been facing some serious issues immediately after updating my windows 10 Dell pc. The task bar is not responsive, it takes a long time before the lock screen shows up when I boot my laptop, opening the settings app only leads to an error message popping up...
  10. Problems with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problems with new laptop: Split from this thread. please help me i just bought this laptop and im not good on them in the frist place nouthing but a pain in my bum what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problems-with-new-laptop/046253a0-5581-4950-8719-f5c94bd7a0dc