Windows 10: New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this?

Discus and support New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, everyone. I'm happy to find this very robust community of Win10 users. I hope someone here has some insight into this windows "feature", which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robognome, Sep 12, 2017.

1. robognome Win User

New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this?

Hello, everyone. I'm happy to find this very robust community of Win10 users. I hope someone here has some insight into this windows "feature", which doesn't seem to be documented or commented on anywhere online that I can find - possibly because I am not using the correct term for it -- although I've tried many.

Cut to the chase:
    I've reorganize the start menu tiles and tile groups. All good. -- However -- after moving some tiles around, I noticed two of the tiles were missing and a new tile appeared (circled tile in the following image):
    Attachment 153165

Clicking on it made a sub-group (for lack of a better term) of tiles appear below the tile group. The sub-group contained the two missing tiles and the new type of tile contained a "collapse" icon (i.e. "^"):
    Attachment 153166

Trying to reproduce this, I found the following:

1. This occurs when one tile is dragged and dropped on another (sometimes - see point 2), upon which both of the tiles are placed in the subgroup and a new "meta" tile appears in place of the tile which received the dropped tile.

2. Dropping one tile on another is vexing to say the least. Most of the time (in 19 out of 20 attempts) the tile you attempt to drop it on just squirts to one side or another. You keep trying and eventually the tile underneath expands slightly instead of slipping to one side; dropping the tile at this point produces the results seen above. I suspect the way you hold your mouth may have some effect on your success at this.

Questions:
    - Does this feature have a name?
    - Is there a better way of using this since my method is a bit frustrating to use?
    - By using this, did I cause Windows 10 to start a countdown sequence or chain reaction that ends with my computer going thermo-nuclear, destroying my desktop background image collection along with half the county?

Any suggestions or hints appreciated.

:)

robognome, Sep 12, 2017
  2. farby Win User

Lumia 710 - Email hub is missing

Did you check properly ..? Under the 'Applications' list look for the Icon of an 'envelope' as seen in the Image posted by you... just in case you are not sure with what name its stored ...

farby, Sep 12, 2017
  3. step2n Win User
    MS Windows 10 Edge Live tiles system cache

Ok everything works, except one thing.

Tile color didn't change, it's still the old one and background-image is default MS Edge icon instead of my own, specified in browserconfig.

Nevertheless browserconfig.xml and icon images are available and has been downloaded into system folder (LocalState/PinnedTiles)

Firstly I used meta tag:

Then I changed markup (deleted meta-tag from page) and rearranged the parameter into browserconfig.xml:

Then I cleared cache by applying all the steps above (which are in the answer).

So I pin site again and see that live tiles work but background color is still the red one.

On the other machine live tiles work but background-color and image aren't correct: tile has default blue background-color and default Edge icon.

So the question is how to fix?

step2n, Sep 12, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

5. robognome Win User
    Ah... It has a name. Thank you, and I am glad to learn it isn't some obscure experiment at MS that will be corrected in a future update.

Given how difficult it is to drop one tile on another (still trying to figure out if sticking my tongue out or holding my breath works better when dropping the tile), I am a little surprised there isn't any easier way to create these.

Thank you for cluing me in.

robognome, Sep 13, 2017
  6. robognome Win User
    Minor Addendum: The reason I had trouble creating the active tile folders is that all my tiles are Small. Resizing the tile you are dropping others on (Medium or larger) eliminates the problem of it dodging out of the way.

robognome, Sep 14, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Caveat: be careful moving Tiles around, could end up unintentionally moving 1 to 4 or more onto another.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New "Meta" Tile on Start menu: (see image) Anyone seen this? - Similar Threads - Meta Tile Start

2. Start Menu Tiles...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Tiles...: [ATTACH] Is there any way to change Windows 10 UWP app tiles to an unsupported color or at least, change it without changing the accent color? https://preview.redd.it/mbqdxtnjwlx51.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=4cb2a93bc3c80ee24150a8458dd752ab330f4e94 submitted...
  3. An issue with pinned start menu tile images no longer displaying?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    An issue with pinned start menu tile images no longer displaying?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/liquidshade [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikwbku/an_issue_with_pinned_start_menu_tile_images_no/
  4. Has anyone seen this new feature?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has anyone seen this new feature?: Has anyone seen this new feature Start typing to search, in the Start Menu. If so, how is it enabled? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-anyone-seen-this-new-feature/6ff0f171-05df-4c58-abc9-d07770b87353
  5. Start Menu Tiles

Start Menu Tiles: Hi, I really like the original factory start menu view with all of the tiles. I did someting and now when I click start menu I only get cortona to come up. Is there a fix for this? I know it is likely something easy.... Help!...
  6. START MENUE TILES

START MENUE TILES: USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT WHY THE START TILES ARE NOT THE SAME ON EACH COMPUTER USING THE SAME MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menue-tiles/22d9f2c5-64c5-4b9a-9549-f88a285c37f7
  7. Start menu tiles

Start menu tiles: Hi Im trying to sort out a problem, recently I noticed that I cant add tiles to the start menu, I cant delete ones already there, I cant move them where I want them to be and that the *context* menu that appears when I right click on the tiles already pinned to the start...
  8. Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?

Broken tile images in start menu. How to fix?: Upgraded the home computer this morning (win10 home). All was looking well until all of a sudden Paint.net starting showing half the image and shortly after, the Photos app as well. It only happens if I set the size of the tiles as small. Any idea what's going on and how to...
  9. no tiles in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    no tiles in the start menu: [img] I've had this problem for a while and with every build it doesn't get fixed. When I open the start menu the tiles don't appear. Screenshot should say it all. If anyone can tell me what to do to get this problem solved I would appreciate it 8379
  10. Start Menu tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu tiles: I have mistakenly dragged my mail tile/ icon from the Start Menu in W.10 to the desktop. How can I return it to the start menu ? ( drag and drop does not work ) 69326