Windows 10: New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.)

Discus and support New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I finally got around to installing a Samsung Evo 840 I bought half a year ago. I installed everything, formatted as new simple volume (GUID... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by byronicasian, Apr 28, 2016.

1. New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.)

Yesterday I finally got around to installing a Samsung Evo 840 I bought half a year ago.
    I installed everything, formatted as new simple volume (GUID for both SSD and 2nd 1 TB HDD) and assigned a drive letter. I've yet to migrate my current installation over to the SSD.
    Today when I got home, my PC would freeze about 4 minutes after I logged in.
    At first, I thought it was a PSU problem. So I removed my new 1TB and left the SSD in place. Problem persists. I then booted the computer in safe mode which worked, and I uninstalled the HDD/SDD utilities I had installed yesterday.
    I try to boot it again, and it still froze 4 minutes in. I finally unplug the SSD and now everything boots normally.
    A slightly unrelated issue, my PC on its first normal reboot black screened restarted when I accidental knocked my chair into it. Atm, I am on the second try, and so far, nothing terrible has happened (mark 60 minutes so far).
    Excluding what happened last, makes me believe the problem is with my MB and interfacing with the SSD. But the latter sudden black screen restart makes me suspect PSU (which the good safe mode reboots seem to discredit).

Some people have also advised it could be a MBR/GPT conflict, as my boot drive is still a MBR drive.

But the freezing has so far only happened with the SSD attached. The 2nd 1TB data drive still works and has (fingerscrossed) caused no problems get, despite being a GPT drive.

If I am missing some default specs post or dump file that needs to be attached as a pre-req for a support post, let me know.

:)

byronicasian, Apr 28, 2016

2. PC/Windows 10 freezing

For the past few days my pc has been freezing randomly. I would restart the pc and it would get hung up on the boot screen and I would have to restart it 4-5 before I could login to my desktop. It would work for a few hours then freeze again. I have windows
    installed on a ssd and I have reinstall it and it still freezes. I have ever tried to reinstall windows to another hard drive but it is frozen at the installation screen. The pc is built by me and it has been running fine for over 2 years with no problems.
    I'm just not sure what to do.

8bitkingslayer, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Windows 10 permissions/administrator complex?

Thx for the reply...Yea i try to get full admin right and 1 sec later windows reboot and make a chkdsk (in my new ssd) in login screen and keep rolling, stuck at loading screen. I boot with other os/hdd and ssd check is fine. My ssd with 10 can't login,
    so what now?

iliaslazaridis, Apr 28, 2016
  4. Scramjet Win User

New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.)

Hi Byron and welcome to the Forum. It would be great if you can give us a more detailed description of your system so the skilled techs here can guide you to a solution a lot better than me.
    I have a EVO 840 250GB SSD drive on my system and it works fine as a boot drive. Here's what I did when I installed mine....
    Booted up system with ssd installed as a slave then went to disk management and formatted the drive. Then I used the Samsung Data Migration to clone my operating system to the SSD. Then I unplugged all the drives except the SSD and booted into the BIOS and chan ged from IDE to ACHI and set SSD to boot first. All went well and then I shut down to plug in all the other drives and went into BIOS to be sure the ACHI and the SSD was still first boot. I have not had a problem with booting my OS with the EVO SSD.
    I Sure hope your problem is small because those EVO SSD drives work well and are fast.

cheers

Scramjet, Apr 28, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Let me know if I am understanding the situation correctly ----
    So the situation is .... The boot drive is one 1TB HDD. The SSD is just connected to the system. Right?

Still the system is freezing with the SSD attached.

If the SSD is the system drive, having hibernation files in it etc, then this situation may arise and troubleshooting is there. If it is just connected as a secondary disk, there is no good reason behind this behavior.

GPT cannot take the boot files in a legacy system. So the system drive should be MBR in that case. But a secondary/data disk can be a GPT disk without any problem. There should not be any problem like MBR/GPT conflict.

Make it sure that the SSD is having the latest firmware. Samsung Magician will help you to let it know.

If the situation continues despite of having the latest firmware, I think better you ask Samsung for a replacement.

6. OS: W10 Pro
    CPU: i5-3570k
    8 GB DDR 3 RAM
    PSU : EVGA 650 W G2
    MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

HDD : Hitachi 500 GB (MBR, Boot Drive), Toshiba 1 TB (GPT, 2ndary Data Drive), Samsung Evo 840 (GPT, currently disconnected)
    The Boot drive is an older 500 GB Hitachi. I have a 2ndary/data drive that is a 1 TB Toshiba. My SSD is not attached to the mobo at all now.

Can I attach the SSD post startup to run Samsung Magician? If it's attached in any way, it seems to freeze my computer 5 minutes past logon.

byronicasian, Apr 28, 2016
  7. ARC
    Arc Win User
  8. New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.)

Yes the SSD was attached to the proper port. Not sure how I can check the SSD firmware unless since when I boot it with it attached my PC freezes. Unless you mean doing all those steps in safe mode.

Also, I read on Windows 10 FAQ that to mix and batch MBR and GPT drives, I have to have the GPT drive as the boot one?

Or MBR boot plus GPT data still work?

byronicasian, Apr 29, 2016
  9. ARC
    Arc Win User
    MBR boot plus GPT data will work; but I personally would prefer all GPT disks in a UEFI system.

10. Is there a reason why it works for me and you, but MS says other wise? The whole MBR boot , GPT data setup. I mean. Also, my apologies, I won't be able to post the SSD log and etc until tomorrow night when I get off work.

Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

byronicasian, Apr 29, 2016
  11. ARC
    Arc Win User
    From the link you posted:
    New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.) [​IMG]

It mainly depends on your BIOS mode. If the BIOS is set to Legacy mode, then you must to use a MBR disk as the boot disk. The secondary disks may be anything else .... either MBR or GPT.
    Because Legacy cannot boot from a GPT disk.

On the other hand, if the BIOS is set to UEFI mode, you can have anything as a boot drive and as a data disk (as long as it is less than 2 TB; which must to be GPT to utilize its full capacity).
    Unfortunately if boot disk is a MBR one in a UEFI system, the windows installation will not use the UEFI features there; it will keep UEFI off.

The easiest way to use UEFI is to disable CSM in the BIOS setup; generally in the Boot tab of the setup. I have never used an Asrock board; but it should be like this:
    New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.) [​IMG]

12. Attached is the sysinfo file.

1st Attempt to open Samsung Magician ended with PC freezing in safe mode.

2nd Attempt with me rewriting the SSD Volume into MBR and making new format proved successful.

Was able to glean the following from the Magician app in safe mode.

Firmware : EMT01B6Q (per google, outdated)

AHCI Mode was deactivated

Unable to detect SATA controller (which is weird since, per Device Manager, I have the latest SATA controllers from ASrock)

byronicasian, Apr 30, 2016
  13. ARC
    Arc Win User

Code: [IDE] Item Value Name Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Manufacturer Asmedia Technology Status OK PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_06121849&REV_01\4&33B94F4C&0&00E3 I/O Port 0x0000D050-0x0000D057 I/O Port 0x0000D040-0x0000D043 I/O Port 0x0000D030-0x0000D037 I/O Port 0x0000D020-0x0000D023 I/O Port 0x0000D000-0x0000D01F Memory Address 0xF7300000-0xF73001FF IRQ Channel IRQ 19 Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\asahci64.sys (1.3.1.0, 48.59 KB (49,760 bytes), 9/21/2011 5:56 PM)[/quote] This is the latest SATA controller form Asrock?
    Probably not! See here: ASRock > Z77 Extreme4

9/8/2015 Windows® 10 3.48MB ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:3.1.6.0000
    Get this driver and see if it can detect the SATA Controller/Hard drive. If not, let us see a camera snap of the screen. Solution is possible.

14. Just quick update, not sure if it its related.

On first restart, I was unable to boot into any part of windows (just stuck at the black loading screen with the circular loading dots). Forced shutdown and went into BIOS, and played around with the storage configurations (switched both controllers to IDE instead of AHCI).

This got me to a "UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE ERROR" screen, which got windows to open the repair/troubleshooting screen. It got me into safe mode before I realized I hadn't attached my SSD yet.

After I attached the SSD, went back to the BIOS to retoggle AHCI mode. I have booted in to Windows successfully. Per Magician, by firmware is up to date (I was wrong in prev post) and can detect SATA Interface.

Fingers crossed those initial bits were just one offs.

byronicasian, Apr 30, 2016
  15. ARC
    Arc Win User
    SSD 850 EVO 250GB is detected.
    Asmedia 106x SATA Controller is up to date (10/30/2015).

A good job very well done! *Thumbs Let us know how it goes.

Just a request ... if it needs to provide the system information file, save it rather than exporting it. The .nfo version gives easier access than the .txt file.

Thema:

1. New SSD freezes my computer past login screen (and misc.) - Similar Threads - SSD freezes computer

2. Pasting from clipboard now freezes my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pasting from clipboard now freezes my computer: All of a sudden - I can't pin-point since which update there have been a few recently - my computer jarringly freezes whenever I try and paste from the clipboard Win + V, it's just a complete lock-up.I looked at who crashed and it gives this: ```Crash dump directories:...
  3. Pasting from clipboard now freezes my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pasting from clipboard now freezes my computer: All of a sudden - I can't pin-point since which update there have been a few recently - my computer jarringly freezes whenever I try and paste from the clipboard Win + V, it's just a complete lock-up.I looked at who crashed and it gives this: ```Crash dump directories:...
  4. Pasting from clipboard now freezes my computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My computer screen is freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer screen is freezing: Computer screen is freezing but computer is staying on, can't alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del have to hard restart. This was one of the errors SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎4/‎07/‎2023 8:08 PMStatusReport sentDescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop...
  6. My computer screen is freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer screen is freezing: Computer screen is freezing but computer is staying on, can't alt-tab or ctrl-alt-del have to hard restart. This was one of the errors SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎4/‎07/‎2023 8:08 PMStatusReport sentDescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop...
  7. Computer immediately freezes at startup/login screen

Computer immediately freezes at startup/login screen: I have been using my Pc for about 2 years and had no real problems. However recently i went to bed with my computer working fine and woke up to getting to the login screen and it immediately freezing. Done multiple things like removing ram trying other ram and memory...
  8. New PC freezing on windows login screen.

New PC freezing on windows login screen.: 1 week old PC, was working fine then it froze and my monitor started flickering. Now when I loadup it freezes on the login screen, and the only thing to do is turn off the power. I can load into safe mode and i get a critical error DCOM Error code 10005 in the event viewer....
  9. Freezing in Login Screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freezing in Login Screen: Hello, My computer keeps freezing at the login screen of Windows 10, requiring a reset. I scanned for corrupt files, no issues. My drivers are up to date. I even tried reinstalling Windows 10 and the problem continues. What can you recommend?...
  10. Computer freezing at login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing at login screen: hi, My computer started freezing at the login screen yesterday. I cant do anything with it anymore since it disables all the usb, and keyboard/mouse ports. I have reinstalled windows and installed all my drivers again, but it freezes at normal windows updates which is kind...