Windows 10: New to windows 10

Discus and support New to windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Thank you. You're welcome. Couldn't agree more. Learned back in W98 to leave well enough alone. Ended up I was spending more time fixing the system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by monster212, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Tony K Win User

New to windows 10

You're welcome. Couldn't agree more. Learned back in W98 to leave well enough alone. Ended up I was spending more time fixing the system more than using it because of using 3rd party tweaks, etc.

I liked 8.1, so it took me awhile to warm up to 10. Going the opposite direction in personalization, 10 in tablet mode is much like 8.1. Like I said, 10 is a very customizable OS. Kind of a happy medium between 7 and 8.1.

Tony K, Jan 15, 2018
  2. xpclient Win User

Classic Shell is hardly extra cruft. It returns usability and features that they destroyed in the 7 to 10 migration. To the Start Menu. To Explorer as well. A smart option would be to use Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell and enjoy a more modern OS than Windows 7 without the updating annoyances of Windows 10. *Smile

xpclient, Jan 15, 2018
  3. Just wait until Windows Update starts working you over, you may change your mind.

lehnerus2000, Jan 15, 2018
  4. New to windows 10

I installed Windows 10 Pro/64 on Dec 6/2017. Clean Install from a Microsoft DVD. Using help from members and the forums tutorials most things are working as I want them to.
    A few bugs I haven't figured out yet. I expect such things on a new operating system with a new user. (Me)

I remember when I went from "XP" to Windows 7, the first thing I had to do is remove the "XP" hat and put on the Windows 7 hat.

I just forgot about "XP" and spent my time learning the new Windows 7 operating system. The old days and operating system are gone.
    The new operating system is here. Like all operating systems, their will be bugs or things one doesn't like. No operating system is perfect for everybody.

Everything in computing is a constant learning project. Nothing in computing stays the same for long.

Think about the changes in the last 10 years with cell phones.
    Windows operating system that work great for 10 or more years is wonderful, but the day comes when on must move on.

Just my opinion.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 15, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

If you don't like a load of those silly tiles on W10 you can get rid of them easily enough. Personally the LESS like a mobile phone my computer looks like the better.

W10 works just fine and doesn't have as many annoyances as Windows 7 which always seems to be asking for updates!!.
    My main gripe and it's been a bugbear of Windows ever since people started using it for business --years and years ago with Windows 3.1 for workgroups -- is that Networking is often a hit and miss affair.

If you don't do networking then W10 works just fine - especially when run from an SSD. If you don't have OFFICE or equivalent and you want to do email then you'll have to find an email client you like - or use some sort of webmail which I (and loads of others just hate).

Good luck with it and on this Forum most problems can get resolved.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 15, 2018
  6. well time will tell and see if it does or does not.. but that is one major compliant i see people have with 10...

monster212, Jan 15, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    well time will tell and see if it does or does not.. but that is one major compliant i see people have with 10... Like I said, never been a problem for me these past 2+ years since launch, but then for customization I stick to those changes allowed for in the design of Win10. As Tony K says, there's a lot you can do to change the look and feel without needing 3rd-party help.
    Unlike Tony K, I could never get my head round the radical changes in 8, but I do (now) appreciate the features of 8 that have carried over into 10. My pinned apps on Start are entirely my own, hardly a single MS default tile is left there now *Smile

Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

8. bfunke Win User

New to windows 10

If you ever do a clean install be sure to disconnect all drives except for you boot drive before you install. After install reconnect your data drives.

bfunke, Jan 16, 2018
  9. How do you cope with W10, if one or two updates a month for W7 is too many?
    There are more updates than that every month for my W10 installs (Home, Pro VM).

How do you survive the 6 month W10 upgrades?

The 1709 upgrade won't install on either of my W10 installs (Home, Pro VM).

The W10 Home laptop has to remain disconnected from the network because it can't successfully install 1709 and there's no way to stop it from trying.

The 1703 upgrade broke the graphics driver in my W10 Pro VM.
    The 1709 upgrade won't install in it.

Last Saturday, I spent ~11 hours trying to install it.
    I had to download >500MB of updates before I could even start on 1709.
    Windows Update tried 6 times, downloaded ~10GB of garbage and failed every time (no BSODs and it gave an error code once).

Windows Update Troubleshooter couldn't fix the problem.
    After running the fixes (twice) 1709 still wouldn't install.
    I didn't run the "clean and re-download" fix the 2nd time, as I wanted to use my PC for something other than updating W10.

@Callender has suggested another potential fix I can try, but it will have to wait until I can work up enough enthusiasm to attempt it.

I suspect that the only way to fix this mess is to download a new ISO and perform clean installs. *Sad

Until early last year I only experienced a few issues with W10.

After that, the W10 Home laptop needed two attempts to install any updates, except Defender (i.e. on the first attempt all updates always fail to install).

The W10 Home laptop has a 3rd party browser and media player installed, everything else is MS default (e.g. no 3rd party AV).
    The W10 Pro VM has more software installed, but no 3rd party AV.

The unstoppable telemetry that is supposed to be making W10 better is actually making it worse.

If someone removed Windows Update W10 would be reasonably nice.
    My W10 installs run smoothly, when they're not being broken/disrupted by updates. *Sad

lehnerus2000, Jan 16, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    Had trouble with 1709 also.

New to windows 10 [​IMG]

Got it installed eventually via Update method in this link:

Download Windows 10

However the upgrade resulted in a "COM Surrogate Stopped Working" error when start menu is clicked.

Looks like it is time for a wipe and clean install.

Callender, Jan 17, 2018
  11. why is that????

also the new update has failed on my like 6 times.. finally got it to update..i like windows 10 but i hope updates are not this pain in the but all the time...

monster212, Jan 18, 2018
  12. Berton Win User
    It just assures one is reinstalling on the desired drive or partition. Sometimes Windows likes to take the one with the most room and that can lead to problems. Or in other words, remove as many variables as possible.

Win10 has been described as a service by writers, will have changes more frequently that Win7 and earlier with their Service Packs.

Berton, Jan 18, 2018
  13. New to windows 10

Thank you for the info, i must say i am enjoying windows 10 fast ans smooth. just hate the updating.

monster212, Jan 18, 2018
  14. Tony K Win User
    Glad to see you have it installed. Which OS did you come from?

Personally I leave all drives in the machine and direct the install with the custom choice, unless there's a known issue with a particular drive. May take a little longer, but the OS then knows what it has to manage so far as peripherals.

Tony K, Jan 18, 2018
  15. my new laptop came pre-installed with windows ten.. and cant go to windows 7 on the new one so for me ten is all new and learning it, plus guess now is a good time as in due time everyone will have to be on windows 10.. as i am sure some day 7 will end up like xp...

monster212, Jan 18, 2018
Thema:

New to windows 10