Windows 10: Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

Discus and support Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add, Remove, and Name a Group of App Tiles on Start in Windows 10 How to Add, Remove, and Name a Group of App Tiles on Start in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

How to: Add, Remove, and Name a Group of App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

How to Add, Remove, and Name a Group of App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

Once you pin to Start items, you can move their tiles to where you like in and out of groups on Start, and name groups to what you like.

This tutorial will show you how to group tiles of items you pinned to Start, and name groups on Start in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] Move Apps In or Out of Groups on Start
    1. If you like, temporarily open your Start menu to full screen to make this easier to do.

2. Click/press and hold on a tile on Start that you want to move, drag the tile to within the same or other group, and drop it where you like. (see screenshots below)

*note When you move a tile around within a group, the other tiles in the group will automatically move over to make room for the moved tile.

If you move all tiles out of a group, that group will be removed. The tiles will still remain in the group you moved them to.

Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Move Groups on Start
    *note This will move the group and all tiles in the group to where you like on Start.
    1. If you like, temporarily open your Start menu to full screen to make this easier to do.. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on the space right above a group where the group name is or would be, and click/press and hold on the 3 dots at the end. (see screenshot below)

3. Drag the group to where you like until a group divider bar appears. (see screenshots below)

4. Release the group to drop and move it there. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Create a New Group on Start
    1. If you like, temporarily open your Start menu to full screen to make this easier to do.. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/press and hold on a tile on Start that you want to move in a new group, drag the tile to where you like until a group divider bar appears. (see screenshot below)

3. Release the tile to create a new group. You can now move other tiles in or out of this group, and name the group (ex: Office 2013) what you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Name or Rename Groups on Start
    1. If you like, temporarily open your Start menu to full screen to make this easier to do..

2. Click/tap on the space above a group that you want to name, rename, or remove the name. (see screenshot below)

3. In the white box, type in the name you want for the group, and press Enter or click/tap empty area on Start. You can clear the white box to make it empty to remove the group name. (see screenshots below)

OPTION FIVE [/i] Unpin Group from Start
    *note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 18298.

1. Open your Start menu.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title of the group of tiles you want to unpin from Start. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Unpin group from Start. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 7, 2015
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Start menu is "see through" and totally empty in Windows 10

That looks like the full screen Start menu with the Expand / Pinned Tiles / All Apps in the upper left. I don't know why yours is blank. By default MS populates it with half a dozen blatant advertising tiles as well as a bunch of their <c*>applets they
    want you to use.

If you click on All apps it will show you tiles for all installed apps. Right click on one and select "Pin to Start. That will pin a copy of the tile on the start screen.

You can drag them around on the screen to arrange them into logical groups. Name groups. Right click and select one of several tile sizes.

Here are some articles about the Win 10 Start menu / screen:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3190076/windows...

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-configure-a...

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10...

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-move-group-...

Rohn007, Mar 7, 2015
  3. Most Used Apps list vs Tiles in Windows 10 start menu

Thanks Cal.

The reason why we want to introduce Tiles to the users were there were two options - Shortcuts via "All Apps", or Tiles in the Namegroups on the Windows 10 Start Menu.

The users decided to go for Tiles via Start Menu and we want to provision the apps as Tile in the name groups on the Windows 10 Start Menu.

I am not sure how the virtualization solutions you suggested would anywhere help here.

The main concern here is ... why are the apps not appearing in the 6 Most used apps list if they are pinned as Tiles.

Has Microsoft given any statement regarding this ?

John Gorinta, Mar 7, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

Yeah, it takes a little bit to get the feel of it, but works great once you do. *Smile

Brink, Mar 7, 2015
  5. I'm just pleased I'm not trying to do this on a touch screen. Controlling the mouse is bad enough *Biggrin.

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 7, 2015
  6. Hi Shawn,
    is it possible to remove these group names?
    Thanks

nissimezra, Sep 12, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello nissimezra, *Smile

You can use OPTION FOUR to rename the group, but clear it to leave it blank to not have a name for the group anymore.

Brink, Sep 12, 2015
  8. Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

Thanks Champ I think figured it out.

I saw on youtube windows 10 with windows 7 start menu, Do you have a tutorial link on how to do it?
    I need to upgrade my wife pc and she will not go alone with this look.

Cheers
    how to do it

nissimezra, Sep 12, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. *Smile

If you like, the free program Classic Shell should give you a Start Menu like in Windows 7.

Brink, Sep 12, 2015
  10. Thanks champ
    I was looking for something like this
    I will ask her how and post back

cheers

nissimezra, Sep 12, 2015
  11. Is there any way that this can be automated of pinning a newly installed application to a specific namegroup?

Thanks,
    John.

johngorinta, Jan 31, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello John, and welcome to Ten Forums.

Not that I'm aware of. *Sad

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10

1. Group App Tiles on Start in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Group App Tiles

2. Add app as a tile to the Start Menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add app as a tile to the Start Menu Windows 10: When I click Start, I see an app under "Most used". I want to add the app as a tile to the Start menu. When I right-click it, there is no option to pin it to the Start menu. There is only an option to unpin it.I can I add the app as a tile on the Start menu?...
  3. Add app as a tile to the Start Menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add app as a tile to the Start Menu Windows 10: When I click Start, I see an app under "Most used". I want to add the app as a tile to the Start menu. When I right-click it, there is no option to pin it to the Start menu. There is only an option to unpin it.I can I add the app as a tile on the Start menu?...
  4. Add app as a tile to the Start Menu Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start, Tiles, Locked Group

Start, Tiles, Locked Group: Accidentally dragged a tile on top of another tile and released it. A locked group was created with the two tiles in it. How do I get them out of the group and back on the Start menu?...
  6. How to unpin a group of Tiles or Folders from Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to unpin a group of Tiles or Folders from Windows 10 Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Pinning several tiles in Windows 10 is super easy, and the same can be said for unpinning tiles one-by-one. However, what if you’re the type of person with several tiles that you would prefer to get rid of with just [...] This post How to unpin a group of...
  7. WINDOWS 10 Add new FILE GROUP NAME to START TILES

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 Add new FILE GROUP NAME to START TILES: In Windows 10 - Easy way to add another Group name to START TILES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-add-new-file-group-name-to-start-tiles/841104ae-8017-496a-ae84-9c781b6aba6c
  8. How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?

How to move and group tiles on windows 10 start menu?: I would like to add web links and apps in an easy-to-find section of the start like I had on the windows 7 desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/how-to-move-and-group-tiles-on-windows-10-start/0ba2f967-c223-4902-9ae8-ea3a33469ab4
  9. Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyway to delete the start menu empty tile groups?: There is alot of empty space to the right of my start group and I can't seem to resize it or delete it, the only way I can interact with that area is if I drag something in it and only can I rename the group. Heres a pick I found online if no one understands what I mean...
  10. How to group tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    How to group tiles: I can move items from the Start list to produce tiles and I can enter names in the name bars but I am finding it impossible to group tiles. One of the tutorials seems to suggest that all you need to do is move one tile on top of another to group them, but all that happens for...