Windows 10: New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

Discus and support New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've given up on my original question and clean installed from the MS tool to make a USB image. Took about half an hour and is activated. There... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015.

1. fjk61011 Win User

New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

I've given up on my original question and clean installed from the MS tool to make a USB image.

Took about half an hour and is activated.

There was no roundy thingy on this install. It was a very 8.1 install screens.

fjk61011, Aug 8, 2015

2. The way I did things was at first I ended with the combination ISO for both editions as examination reveals. That went onto a 16gb flash drive one of a few note I had laying around. From there I went back for the 64bit Pro and first off for that I let the MC write it to one flash drive but later tossed that aside once I not only downloaded it in iso form but used a 3rd party program used a number of times already(trial version of UltraISO ) to see the install key made up.

How would you go back for more ISO downloads? Run the MC tool on any 7 or 8 install long enough to download which one you need. It might take a day or so before you can download again like say getting the 64bit the tirst time and 32bit the next. Each time you make sure to opt for creating the media and eventually browsing to the folder reserved for the one or more downloads. See an ISO image written is easier then trying to fuss around taking extra steps that are not necessary when any ISO burning program with a usb flash drive option will see the drive made bootable when extracting and writing the setup files to the flash drive.

The ESDtoISO tool is still onhand for download however. Simply follow the steps in the guide for this How to Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 install.esd File

Night Hawk, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Forget the guide there. When going to run the tool following the download you end up with a blue not usual black background in the command prompt type window that opens up with a message stating "This is not an original..... press any key to exit) indicating the shared file is now useless! Stick with the ISO downloads as well as the free trial version of UltraISO and call it a day.

Night Hawk, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

Here is the MS ISO download (not MCT)
    this ISO download has the normal 2 index wim (Home and Pro)
    more inline with the Retail Setup Media

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

5. I just ran the MCT over again to get Home and Pro ISO's. I then ran it again to create a bootable thumb drive. There is nothing stopping you from running it as many times as you want. I did it all from Windows 10.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2015
  6. The first time I ran the tool the iso was for both 64bit editions which wouldn't fit on a 4gb flash drive for the obvious reasons but was mistaken for the 32/64bit combo for 10 Pro until examination later once on the drive due to replacing a drive actually revealed that one. That was solved fast however by sdownloading the 64bit and later finally the 32bit Pro ISOs separately over the next few days time.

There's nothing stopping you from running it countless times. But what will trip you up is running into the "you must restart the system and try again" type message and watch as nothing happens! Had to go through that enough times! So you have to play things by ear rather expect everything to work wonderfully likely due to the heavy online traffic of everyone trying at once to get 10! 14 million in the first 24hrs. should tell you that.

Night Hawk, Aug 9, 2015
  7. I never once got that error. Ran the MCT countless times in a row? I'm not saying you didn't get it, just that I didn't or I would have mentioned it.

alphanumeric, Aug 9, 2015
  8. New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS

As of this mornings clean install the only left is the WS folder. The BT disappeared once the second upgrade was replaced by the clean install and the DiskCleanup may have taken of that while it still left the Windows.old folder! Now that the clean install is on I wouldn't expect to be seeing anything like the first upgrade over the temp 7 install! That was buggier then all heck and I'm sure a good number of people have been having other similar issues. *Sad

I'm not worried about the Windows.old however since that will be done in fast enough! *Biggrin Just type in "RD /S /Q %SystemDrive%\windows.old"" at the command prompt(admin) and press enter to that one take a walk!

Windows.old Folder - Delete in Windows 10

That takes of that one quick shot without any fuss! It will take a few minutes until you see the command prompt's dos like prompt ">" reappear but won't find the Windows.old folder any longer. *Smile

With the MC tool and the initial attempts the option for the immediate online upgrade was ignored since I wanted to either make the installation key as I went or download the ISO file and then see that made up since you can run that for the upgrade as long as you were still booted in Windows. It wasn't that the MC tool was what was seeing problems other then the each other time it was run it would show the popup indicating a system restart was needed.

The main problems came from still having the storage drives plugged as to why the upgrade over the fresh 7 install and even over the then 7 host kept stalling and returning to the desktop. Later I found the BT and WS folders on one drive and the boot files on the other! But the first attempts mainly froze up right after the first restart and past the logo screen or a few times the same error appeared as a result. And this is also why I emphasize to anyone still planning the upgrade being the first install to still go over the clean install guide as well as the upgrade installation guide since that is where the warning about non OS drives is included.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 folders, $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS - Similar Threads - folders $WINDOWS ~BT

2. what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW: when I'm verified the fille I saved in disk C I see $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW file I never see it.shoud I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windowswswindowsbt-and-avasw/5e83ce40-70ac-4641-9aa1-301694d08848
  3. what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW: when I'm verified the fille I saved in disk C I see $Windows.~WS,$WINDOWS.~BT and $AV_ASW file I never see it.shoud I delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-windowswswindowsbt-and-avasw/5e83ce40-70ac-4641-9aa1-301694d08848
  4. $WINDOWS.~BT Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    $WINDOWS.~BT Folder: Hello, I noticed that there is $WINDOWS.~BT 20kb disk size Folder and ESD folder which i have deleted because its empty on my system? Is it created because i ran the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool? Is it safe to delete since I'm done downloading the Windows 10 ISO?...
  5. $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    $Windows.~BT folder: After upgrading mother board windows changed the file system on all drives not the boot drive to $Windows.~BT folder. How do i get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windowsbt-folder/4a350342-ad66-4f02-af41-4090c3dfb7fa
  6. How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS: I'm having a hard time deleting these. Can you help me with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-windows-bt-and-windows-ws/f8114f56-c673-427c-b203-04d69552d0ea"
  7. Is it possible to create Windows ISO from $WINDOWS.~BT / $Windows.~ws

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to create Windows ISO from $WINDOWS.~BT / $Windows.~ws: Hi, I was trying to upgrade to windows 10 from my Window 7 PC. I downloaded it using Media creation tool. However, unfortunately, the upgrading process failed and I end up with Windows 10 couldn't install. I tried to run the setup again using the $Windows.~WS folder saved...
  8. $Windows.~BT & -WS file folders & best way for a fresh install

$Windows.~BT & -WS file folders & best way for a fresh install: I discovered today that these 2 file folders were installed on my HP 6000 Pro Win10 computer --- I plan on waiting to see how long it will take for them to naturally be automatically removed --- After reviewing the rest of this post, if it makes sense to get rid of them...
  9. $Windows.~WS folder deleting

$Windows.~WS folder deleting: hello I tried to download win10 twice with media tool but it reached ~75% and then its just gone without any error ... however this is not the problem I think the downloaded 75% are still stored on my C drive because i have a folder called $Windows.~WS its empty (there is...
  10. windows bt folder

in Windows 10 Support
    windows bt folder: I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so why is it in there now? 94083