Windows 10: No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

Discus and support No ability to require a password when waking from sleep in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm hoping someone else has found a resolution to a persistent problem. I have no option available anywhere to require/not require a password when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TexasBigEd, Sep 4, 2018.

1. No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

I'm hoping someone else has found a resolution to a persistent problem. I have no option available anywhere to require/not require a password when waking from sleep. I have a Windows 10 Home, 64 bit computer (in fact several of them) that is kept up to date with every Windows update that comes down the pipeline. I have two identical systems that do not exhibit the same problem. Many of the settings that were once in "Control Panel" have now been moved to "Settings" in Windows 10, and this option is one that has been moved.

When going to Settings/Accounts/Sign In Options (the place where the option for a password is) the following is noted in red above the grayed out "Never." "Authentication is not required when this PC wakes from sleep. To change this, go to Settings and search for Power & Sleep." As you might guess no such options exist within Power and Sleep. I'm advanced enough to have worked with Windows settings to know how to "follow the trail," and it leads to nowhere. There is no option within any of the advanced settings on any power plan. There is no option under "Choose what the power buttons do." Changing the power plans does nothing. I'd list all of the off the wall Ideas I've tried, but the list would be too long and I've probably forgotten many of them. I'm all out of ideas and would welcome suggestions. I've been building my own systems for years, not afraid of registry changes or some fairly serious surgery if required. System file checker will not fix the problem. Using the DISM command does not fix the problem.

I'll try a registry change if someone has one that may work (I create a System Restore Point and image my computers before doing these), but I'd prefer not to have to make a registry change every time I want to change whether or not a password on wake is required. Having Identical systems, I'm willing to copy a file from one of the trouble free systems and paste it into the affected system, but I have no idea which file replacement to undertake.

Enough for now and sorry for the lengthy problem description -- throw those ideas at me, please.

:)

TexasBigEd, Sep 4, 2018

2. Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hi Yashwanth Kotakuri,

Thanks for your quick reply. Problems is I have already performed the steps you outline 3 times, (including re-boot), without resolve.

Thus I write here in hopes to find out why.

History, this machine was an updrade to Win 10 from Win 7. In Win 7 the settings were to require a password on waking from sleep.

I performed the steps you have outlined thinking it would overwrite the Win 7 settings however it did not.

In an email received from Microsoft Community on Sun 24/04/16 02:31 stating the same information received from Kotakuri above.

From: Microsoft Community [L: mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 2:31 AM

To: L:
    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Subject: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

I attempt to reply by standard email including attached screen snaps however that email failed.

My reply excluding attachments:

From: David Horton [mailto:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

Sent: 24 April 2016 10:25 AM

To: 'Microsoft Community'

Subject: RE: Reply marked as answer: Windows 10 does not require a password option, when waking up from sleep.

Hello

Again I try the steps suggested without success:

* Press Windows key, type
    Power Options and select same from the list.

• This step does nothing more than bringing up the start menu.
    • So I chose Start\Settings then type
      Power Options and select same from the list.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 001.png

* Click Require a password on wakeup
    on left side panel,

• This step brings up the window: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 002.png

* Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
    and under password protection on wakeup, select radio button
    Require a password (recommended)

• This step allows for adjustment and as we see the radio button
      Require a password has already been selected, then
      Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Don’t require a password and save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 003.png
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable,
      Require a passwordand save settings.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 004.png

* Click Apply and
    OK.

• I wait for the computer to go to sleep and wait to hear the fan settle down then move the mouse and the machine wakes up without requiring a password.
    • So I go further: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and adjust the Put The Computer To Sleep: to 3 minutes and Save Changes.
    • See Attachment: Power Options - 005.png
    • I walk away, make a coffee and come back and check the computer in 6 minutes and still the computer wakes up without requiring a password.

I could not find the answer to my problem in your forum and the links in the email below do not take me to the original
    thread allowing me to answer in the
    thread.

Thus I answer by this email in hopes to find a resolve.

PS: I am not new to computers, windows or mac and I am a qualifies mechanical engineer of 30 years if It helps.

Best Regards

Dr_Horton

Dr Horton_1958, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Sleep and Password. windows 10

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

You may try this steps:

• Type Power & sleep settings in the search bar.
    • Click on Additional power settings
    • On the right side of the screen, click on Require a password on wake up
    • Under password protection on wake up, select the button that says required a password (recommended)
    • When your computer wakes up from sleep.
    • No one can access your data without entering the correct password to unlock the computer.
    • Clck on create or change user account password if you do not have one or you want to change your password.
    • Click on save changes below.

Hope this helps. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Sep 4, 2018
  4. ohante Win User

No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607

Well it's not working. I can't get my new power plan to wake from sleep without having to enter my password. And the problem of the system not going into sleep on my existing plans that worked before 1607 is still a problem.

I just toggled the setting as you suggested Brink, and tested waking from sleep. But that didn't work. So I set it to "When PC wakes up from sleep" and then rebooted. I changed it back to 'Never", but both problems still exist. I rebooted again after setting it back to "Never" with no success.

ohante, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

No ability to require a password when waking from sleep

1. No ability to require a password when waking from sleep - Similar Threads - ability require password

2. Windows 11- How to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11- How to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" ?: I can't find the option to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" on Windows 11.What it does it, every time the PC goes to sleep, if I wake it up, then it should ask me for Windows password or Windows Hello PIN....
  3. Windows 11- How to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11- How to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" ?: I can't find the option to enable "Requires Password when PC wakes up from Sleep" on Windows 11.What it does it, every time the PC goes to sleep, if I wake it up, then it should ask me for Windows password or Windows Hello PIN....
  4. Mouse and Keyboard not showing the ability to wake computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Mouse and Keyboard not showing the ability to wake computer from sleep: Hello,When I go to device manager and look at the various keyboards, mice, HID devices or USB devices, the option under "Power Management" to "allow this device to wake the computer is greyed out. Also, on most of the devices listed, "power management" is not even an option....
  5. No password protection at Startup, but does when waking from sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No password protection at Startup, but does when waking from sleep: I've a problem with my new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. I wish to password protect it. In Settings>Accounts>Sign-In Options I have selected the option to require sign in when computer awakes from sleep. And indeed when it wakes from sleep I have to enter my pin,...
  6. Require PIN when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Require PIN when waking from sleep: Hi, So I've configured my security settings to always require PIN when waking from sleep. Every morning i click my keyboard or mouse to wake from sleep and it opens right up, no request to enter PIN. Anyone else come across this or figure out a fix? Thanks! submitted by...
  7. Stop Password Request When Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop Password Request When Waking from Sleep: How do I stop windows 10 from asking for password each time it wakes from sleep? "Never" is selected under Require sign-in in windows settings under Accounts. It worked for a while then it started to ask for password again. This is a relatively new windows installation...
  8. require password when monitor wakes up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    require password when monitor wakes up: require password when monitor wakes up display is only hibernated not computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/require-password-when-monitor-wakes-up/7cfcd0d1-253f-4dbe-a8b8-289d282d1b34
  9. Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does modern standby prohibit require password when PC wakes on sleep?: Long time reader, first time poster. :) I recently acquired a new laptop, my first one that supports modern standby (S0 low power idle). It appears there are a number of subtle differences compared to the S3 sleep state I've become accustomed to. In the Windows 10 Sign-in...
  10. No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607: My Toshiba updated to 1607 the other day and I found it wasn't sleeping with the timeout I have set in power options. So I created a new power plan and set the sleep timeout again. When I went to wake the system I found I'd forgotten to disable the option to require a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. password not required when waking