Windows 10: Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 To help secure your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pietro99, Aug 1, 2015.

1. pietro99 Win User

Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

To help secure your PC, Windows requires users to sign in when it wakes from hibernate by default.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to require sign-in on wakeup for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off require sign-in on wakeup.

This will change the require sign-in on wakeup in your currently active selected power plan, and for all users that use the same power plan.

You may also wish to set this: How to Automatically Sign in to User Account at Startup in Windows 10

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Power Options
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Sign-in

Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Settings
    1 Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2 Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and select Never (off) or When PC wakes up from sleep (on) for what you want under Require sign-in on the right side. (see screenshot below)

This option will only be available if the account has a password.

3 When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Power Options
    The Require a password on wakeup setting is not shown in Power Options by default.

If you haven't already, you will need to first add "Require a password on wakeup" to Power Options to be able to do this option.

1 Open the power plan.

2 Click/tap on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link. (see screenshot below)

3 Set the Require a password on wakeup settings to Yes or No for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Command Prompt
    1 Open an elevated command prompt.

2 Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) for what you would like to do.

3. Turn On Require Sign-in on Wakeup
    A) Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished. (see screenshot below)

(On battery (if available) )
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 1

(Plugged in)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 1

4. Turn Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup
    A) Copy and paste the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. You can close the command prompt when finished. (see screenshot below)

(On battery (if available) )
    *Arrow powercfg /SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0

(Plugged in)
    *Arrow powercfg /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option Five below instead.

If you enable or disable require password on wakeup using this option, it will override Option One, Option Two, and Option Three above.

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Sleep Settings

3 Do step 4 (Not configured), step 5 (Enabled), step 6 (Disabled) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Set Require Sign-in on Wakeup to Not Configured
    This is the default setting. This option will allow all users on the PC to be able to do Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above.

A) In the right pane of Sleep Settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require a password when a computer wakes (plugged in) policy to edit it. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Select (dot) Not Configured, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

C) In the right pane of Sleep Settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require a password when a computer wakes (on battery) policy to edit it. (see screenshot below step 2)

D) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Enable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users
    A) In the right pane of Sleep Settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require a password when a computer wakes (plugged in) policy to edit it. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Select (dot) Enabled, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4B)

C) In the right pane of Sleep Settings in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require a password when a computer wakes (on battery) policy to edit it. (see screenshot below step 2)

D) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below step 4D)

6. To Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users

B) Select (dot) Disabled, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 4B)

D) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below step 4D)

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users using a REG file
    You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

If you enable or disable require password on wakeup using this option, it will override Option One, Option Two, and Option Three above.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\0e796bdb-100d-47d6-a2d5-f7d2daa51f51

DCSettingIndex DWORD
    ACSettingIndex DWORD

(delete) = Not configured
    0 = Disabled
    1 = Enabled

1 Do step 2 (Not configured), step 3 (Enabled), step 4 (Disabled) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Set Require Sign-in on Wakeup to Not Configured
    This is the default setting. This option will allow all users on the PC to be able to do Option One, Option Two, or Option Three above.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Not_Configured_require_password_on_wakeup.reg

Download

3. To Enable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_require_password_on_wakeup.reg

Download

4. To Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup for All Users

Disable_require_password_on_wakeup.reg

Download

5 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7 If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8 If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

pietro99, Aug 1, 2015

2. How to turn off password protection on every wake up of the system

Hey Janice, what particular content are you trying to perform:

• Option One: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in
      Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in
      Power Options
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup
      in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup
      for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Require Sign-in on Wakeup
      for All Users using a REG file

kindly let us know for further assistance

regards.

greg

GregSheridan, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Tryx3, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  5. pietro99 Win User
    Am I confused? I think that link is to require a password. I don't want to use a pw on my Surface as I don't need the security.

pietro99, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That link is to require to sign in after display is off. It'll be worth check to see if your Surface Pro 3 has such a setting. If it does, then that could be why you are still having to sign in after wakeup.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  7. pietro99 Win User
    Yes it has the settings, which I have set to never require a password for all the above. But it still does so maybe it's one of the bugs which will be fixed with an update. I hope so. Thanks for your advice.

pietro99, Aug 1, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

That or one of those unknown settings somewhere again.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  9. I have the same issue, tried everything. I can't even disable password because i'm using a microsoft account to log in. How annoying...

erickruse1, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Erick, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Did you want this for at startup instead of at wakeup from sleep?

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  11. pietro99 Win User
    Finally I got rid of password and lock-screen on my Surface Pro3. (Though it still requires password after restart)

I applied the registry script at the bottom of the page in this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

It is reversible as well.

pietro99, Aug 6, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you Pietro99 for posting back with your results. *Smile

Brink, Aug 6, 2015
  13. Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

Same problem here - Surface 3 (not Pro)

Have to enter my password if its been asleep for a few minutes, despite having everything set according to this tutorial.

Lord Method Man, Aug 7, 2015
  14. Roadking Win User
    There is a bug in require password on wakeup. Although it may sound ridiculous, yes means no, and no means yes. Tried changing the option to yes and it worked for me on my surface 3. Try it. I swear it works
    This has to be done under advanced power settings.

Roadking, Aug 25, 2015
  15. I changed it to yes. The first two time I woke it I wasn't asked for a password, the third time I was. Its inconsistent just as before. Needs a fix from Microsoft.

Lord Method Man, Aug 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Require

2. turn off sign off lockdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    turn off sign off lockdown: i need to turn off sign off lockdown so please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-sign-off-lockdown/70ef4a08-af2c-4675-bd73-d706fc2bb14b
  3. Can't turn off password required upon wakeup. Using Windows 10 Pro version 19045.2251

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't turn off password required upon wakeup. Using Windows 10 Pro version 19045.2251: I have tried under settings>accounts>sign-in options: the present option is When PC wakes up from sleep. That is grayed out -- I cannot change it. I also see "To change this, go to Settings and search for Power & sleep. I have done that, but cannot find any option to change...
  4. Can't turn off password required upon wakeup. Using Windows 10 Pro version 19045.2251

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't turn off password required upon wakeup. Using Windows 10 Pro version 19045.2251: I have tried under settings>accounts>sign-in options: the present option is When PC wakes up from sleep. That is grayed out -- I cannot change it. I also see "To change this, go to Settings and search for Power & sleep. I have done that, but cannot find any option to change...
  5. Can't turn off password required upon wakeup. Using Windows 10 Pro version 19045.2251

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to enable or disable Require Sign in on Wakeup in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Require Sign in on Wakeup in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Require sign in on Wakeup setting in Windows 11 or Windows 10 then you can do it with the help of the Local Group Policy Editor and the Registry Editor. By default, Windows 11/10 doesn’t require you to log in or enter your password...
  7. How Do I Turn Off the Sign in Requirement Completely

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How Do I Turn Off the Sign in Requirement Completely: I have turned off the require sign in in account options. I have turned off the password requirement setting with netplwiz. I turned off the lock screen in gpedit. Windows now does not ask for a login password when I start my computer. But, after about 20 minutes of...
  8. Sign-In Options - Require Sign-In Cannot Be Turned Off

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign-In Options - Require Sign-In Cannot Be Turned Off: I am the administrator and the only user of my new Lenovo X1 laptop running Windows 10. I don't want to have to type a password or use the face recognition function every time that I lift the laptop's lid. But I'm being forced by Windows to sign in every time because it will...
  9. Add Require a password on wakeup to Power Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Require a password on wakeup to Power Options in Windows 10: How to: Add Require a password on wakeup to Power Options in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Require a password on wakeup" from Power Options in Windows 10 In Windows 10, the Require Sign-in setting by default now. To help secure your PC, Windows requires users to...
  10. Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 The Projecting to this PC feature uses the Connect app to allow you to wirelessly project your Windows...